Hypothyroidism

Options
13»

Replies

• dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Ooops.. i did that backwards :)

Thank you so much for posting this... phew, how long has it taken you, and do you find any certain foods (besides the obvious, soy/high fiber (near taking the T4 pill- whichever pill you take) that are helpful in losing?
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hi...although I haven't been diagnosed with this, I truly believe that I have it! Gonna go to the doctor next month and I am
    pushing for the test to check that out!

Just make sure to push, don't take no for an answer and keep replacing any doctors that won't listen. It's tough these days to get anything properly diagnosed and treated when most doctors just want to push drugs. Don't be afraid to go the naturopath route as well, you just never know. In years past I would have said anyone going to a naturopath was an idiot, but oh how my mind has changed over the last 2 years.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Have you tried getting Icelandic kelp or tri-iodine in your system? I have hypothyroidism and super supplements suggested I try taking that to help me lose weight. People with hypothyroidism dont always have the iodine they need in there system.

Just a wee word of caution on the iodine/kelp thing. If you live on an island (ie UK, Ireland) or live fairly close to the sea, you are very unlikely to be hypothyroid due to iodine deficiency. This is beacuse the vegetation that grows (and the animals that live off the vegetation) contains plenty of iodine.

If you live very far from the sea yes, in theory you could be iodine deficient. However, you will most likely demonstrate a goitre if the hypothyroidism is due to iodine deciency (a large swelling at the base of the neck).

Taking kelp/seeweed suppliments without being under the supervision of a nutritionist or Doctor is unwise, as over-using iodine can actually cause thyroid problems.

I think it is terrific if kelp is helping you, I would just be cautious recommending this as a suppliment accross the board.