Being Yourself Right Now (and letting your body catch up)

Options
I've been thinking a lot lately about all the things I'd like to be traits I possess, or about all the habits I'd like to practice, and sometimes I do feel frustrated by the limitations of my body as it is.

Then I saw that's kind of pointless. We can't get the blue fairy to come wave a magic wand over us and change ourselves instantly. We have to work with what's in our control at the moment. This is different for each person.

For me, what's in my control: the way I eat, and the amount of exercise I'm physically capable of doing with my current injury. I also can practice anything that isn't requiring my body to already be what I want it to be. Physical, mental, emotional, whatever. It doesn't matter exactly.

The best me that I want to be is self-confident, has a healthy self-esteem, is active, practices yoga and veganism and meditation daily, and enjoys life as much as possible. That self is already healthy, and eats 2,300 calories to maintain his weight.

I can practice all of those things now, rather than later. To this end, even though I have my calories set at around 1800 to lose 2 lbs a week, I'm okay with going up to 2,300 on any day, because that's going to be what I have to get used to when my body catches up with my practices. And if I go over 2,300 once in a while, that's okay, because the healthy, fit me who will be eating 2,300 to maintain is going to have days like that.

I am hopeful that practicing being that future self RIGHT NOW, within reason, will lead toward my body adjusting itself to that new reality.

I'd love to hear from people who have practiced this. How did it work for you?

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking a lot lately about all the things I'd like to be traits I possess, or about all the habits I'd like to practice, and sometimes I do feel frustrated by the limitations of my body as it is.

Then I saw that's kind of pointless. We can't get the blue fairy to come wave a magic wand over us and change ourselves instantly. We have to work with what's in our control at the moment. This is different for each person.

For me, what's in my control: the way I eat, and the amount of exercise I'm physically capable of doing with my current injury. I also can practice anything that isn't requiring my body to already be what I want it to be. Physical, mental, emotional, whatever. It doesn't matter exactly.

The best me that I want to be is self-confident, has a healthy self-esteem, is active, practices yoga and veganism and meditation daily, and enjoys life as much as possible. That self is already healthy, and eats 2,300 calories to maintain his weight.

I can practice all of those things now, rather than later. To this end, even though I have my calories set at around 1800 to lose 2 lbs a week, I'm okay with going up to 2,300 on any day, because that's going to be what I have to get used to when my body catches up with my practices. And if I go over 2,300 once in a while, that's okay, because the healthy, fit me who will be eating 2,300 to maintain is going to have days like that.

I am hopeful that practicing being that future self RIGHT NOW, within reason, will lead toward my body adjusting itself to that new reality.

I'd love to hear from people who have practiced this. How did it work for you?
    I don't know the science, but yes, I think I get it.
    It's called many things like our "weight thermostat" that changes the chemical structure of the brain.

With fat people the thermostat is screwed up, making us crave food which leads to eating like a pig which leads to weight gain.

And when we lose weight, our "weight thermostat" freaks out and drives us insane until we cave to the cravings.
    BUT...
    The longer you maintain a healthy weight, the easier it becomes, because your "weight thermostat" resets over time.

This is why we need to work hard to maintain once we reach our goal weight. We think the war is won, but that's just the end of the beginning. THE FIGHT CONTINUES!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Every time I lost a lot of weight in the past, I had been working out a lot or running, etc. And eating a larger number of calories as a result. Then something happened, usually an injury but sometimes an illness like bronchitis, and my exercise drops dramatically while my calories stay the same. No-brainer: I gained each time. I was used to the larger number of calories and didn't do what was necessary to get used to less.

Right now I get very little cardio due to a leg injury, so my exercise calories are minimal. Means I got to focus on food more now than I ever have before.

Then when the day comes that I can get a lot more exercise, I'll have to learn to be smart about it. To that end, I may purposefully limit my serious exercise to 3 times a week so that 4 days a week I'll be practicing eating the lower calories. Then if I get sick or injured, I'll already be used to eating less 4 days a week. In theory it works.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options
    Bump. Would like others' perspectives on this. Thanks.
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You put into words much of what I have been thinking to myself recently. I think it makes sense and should work.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options
    You put into words much of what I have been thinking to myself recently. I think it makes sense and should work.

I pray that it does. I want the roller coaster to be OVER. :)