Walking on the treadmill is so boring. Any suggestions?

Options

Replies

• dida0721
    dida0721 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I put a towel over the time and miles so I don't have to watch the time click by and I rent books on cd from the library and listen to them while walking.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I have Netflix on my phone and I watch a 45-minute show every time I walk. I also read my Kindle if I am into a really good book.
    Ditto on the Netflix with headphones while I run. I don't think I could run and read... It would make me nauseous.

I really try hard to make it outside and run unless the weather is horrible.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I watch tv or listen to music while sudokuing on my phone. :-)
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Can you relocate your treadmill? I watch biggest loser when Im on my elliptical, very motivating.

No. The only rooms in my house that have TV's are the living room and my bedroom and both of those rooms are too small for the treadmill. It's in my dining room.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My solution was to not do it.

I call it the "dreadmill"...:drinker:

I do a lot of weird things for cardio like military march, boxing type training,
    dancing, floor rolls, squat thrust intervals and the good ole jumping jack.
    And I jog, swim, play tennis, fast walk and bike.

Just can't do the "dreadmill"; just beat me instead....
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    For those of you who walk on a treadmill for exercise, what do you do to make the time go by faster? I hate just watching the seconds tick by as I'm walking. It seems to go soooo slow.

try starting couch to 5k, at least you'll be jogging a little bit and break up the boredom.

First day it's just jog for 60 seconds and walk for 90 seconds, that's not too bad, and if you can't jog the whole 60 seconds don't worry bout it, I couldn't either the first time last July but I ran an entire 5k in October so it worked for me
  • RockChick1984
    Options
    Music!!! makes a world of difference... and i agree with covering up the timer... its less of a drag when you're actually not watching the numbers tick by... usually find i have worked out much longer than i realise when i do this as apposed to staring at it every 10 seconds lol
  • MarilynGrube
    MarilynGrube Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use my mp3 player. I set up a list of songs that get me goin and I just ZONE out! I will literally close my eyes and zone the heck out...day dream about what I'm going to look like when I reach my goal and I think about all the people that made me feel like crap because of my weight. Before you know it, you're done :happy:
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I definitely vote for listening to something; I need something more than music, though, so I do audiobooks or podcasts (Radio Lab, This American Life). I am also into streaming Netflix, but my favorite is definitely stand up comedy. It makes the time go by insanely fast (and you burn more calories when you laugh! :laugh: )
  • meramon
    meramon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It may sound weird, but I "box" while I walk hills. I do it in intervals, one imagining I've got one of those high-mounted punching bags, then just walking for a few minutes, then switch it up with jabs, etc. It seems silly (and probably looks crazy) but it really amps up a walking workout and helps pass the time really quickly. My arms are becoming very toned. I've even started adding some light hand weights.
    Good luck!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    1) Music--it's basically the only time I can just sit and listen to whatever I want, so it's a treat.
    2) Find something you actually like doing, rather than making yourself do something you dislike.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issue until I built cardboard cut outs of Zombies and placed them behind the tread mill. This is a great way to build cardio so when the Zombie Apocalypse occurs

zombies-hate-fast-food.jpg
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you are paying more attention to the time than the workout I think you need to bump up your game (unless for some reason you can't, medically or other). Find ways to challenge yourself. Intervals like a lot of people suggested is good. Music or tv is good too, but you gotta make sure it doesn't slow you down either if you want results. I sort of do both music and tv. I primary listen to up beat music but the tv is on in front of my with closed caption if I need visual stimulation or sometimes I use comericals as my interval peroid. But if you still hate it, you may want to experiment with other forms of cardio.
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    TV!

With the TV on and me catching a Marathon of Law and Order SVU or NCIS I'm good for the next two hours on walking XD

With music and on the treadmill I can MAYBE do 45 min at the most. But if there is no tv or music. I'm lucky if I can do 20 with out wanting to go crazy. lol
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I definitely vote for listening to something; I need something more than music, though, so I do audiobooks or podcasts (Radio Lab, This American Life). I am also into streaming Netflix, but my favorite is definitely stand up comedy. It makes the time go by insanely fast (and you burn more calories when you laugh! :laugh: )

That is a good point about comedy. I have some "Weird Al" songs in my playlist, and I find they are some of the ones which make it easiest to be on the treadmill.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I HATE the treadmill. The only way I can stand it is doing it at home and watching my shows that I've DVR'd. That's what gets me through. Now what I really like is walking/running outside. I do it until it's too slick on the sidewalks here in Chicagoland. I RARELY do the treadmill at the gym-too boring. If I run/walk at the gym I use the track as then I can people watch and amuse myself. I also listen to great motivating music on my iPod if I'm not watching a show at home!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I have a little tv with dvd player in the room. On the treadmill and working out I watch music video stations or dvds. Helps a lot. Outdoor walks include my music player and one headphone (so I can hear the traffic)
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I used to read books/magazines (portable book rack in case the gym doesn't have one) but now I use a portable video player tied onto the treadmill and catch up on shows/movies I otherwise wouldn't have time to watch. This really helps when I'm tired and the incline is high and all I want to do is go to bed.

Sometimes I get so caught up in the show that I walk longer than planned!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Try making a little game of it. I don't usually walk, but even when I'm jogging or running, I'll increase the speed or incline every few minutes. Then switch it up again a few minutes later. Breaking it up into segments really helps me. I also listen to music and jam out :) Treadmills can be REALLY boring, I try to get my runs in outside as often as possible.
    I agree. When I can't go outside, which is an common situation in winter in this part of the country, I will break it into small segments and change the speed and/or incline. Music helps. TV helps. But ultimately, it's still boring.

I agree with all these! Plus I throw a towel over the timer so I'm not constantly watching it. This makes the time fly by way faster then anything else, imo.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Watch shows on the laptop or TV, Movies, Listen to talk radio and audio books, read, especially if you have a kindle.

I use inclines a lot and also use weights to work my upper body while I walk.