Scale hasn't moved in two weeks...why?

Options
*cross-posted*

MFP set me at 1380 calories a day for a 2 pound loss, i bumped that up to 1700 to incorporate my exercise calories evenly throughout the week because I find it hard to eat an extra 700-800 calories in one day and make good food choices. I eat whole foods for the most part, lots of veggies. Weight is currently about 245, starting weight was 251.5 on January 12.

My food diary is open, please have a look and give thoughts, thanks

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I will probably get killed by others for this but my experience in the past month when I started working out and eating right is this. At first I lost no weight because I was eating back my calories and eating over 2400 calories a day because I would work out like an animal, didn't lose weight, so I decided to set my calories to 1600 per day and only work out a maximum of 400 calories giving me a net of 1200. I find if I go crazy and burn 1000 calories doing exercise it stalls me even if I eat them back.

So with that strategy I have lost 3-4 lbs per week steady.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I am taking classes so I don't see myself walking out of the class once my heart rate monitor tells me I've burned a certain amount of calories, but glad that worked for you, thanks for sharing your strategy.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Yeah I stopped going to classes and just alternate between the treadmill and elliptical.
  • alpha_andy
    alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bathroom scales are generally inanimate objects.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    How closely do you monitor your sodium intake?

I looked at your diary only a few days back and you had a few high sodium/very low water days.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    How closely do you monitor your sodium intake?

I looked at your diary only a few days back and you had a few high sodium/very low water days.

Not too closely, I admit, but I do try to consciously consume less salt. I don't always track my water on MFP but I drink at leat 60-70oz every day.
  • Kevww1982
    Options
    Cut back on the salts! That will make you retain more water.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    Bathroom scales are generally inanimate objects.

Har. Har.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Do you think you may be overestimating your calorie burn? To me your dairy looks pretty good, even though some days you might have too big of a deficit, but I don't think this should hurt you just beginning. You also may be retaining water from your muscles due to all the exercise. My advice is to keep doing it, and the weight should come off. If it doesn't, check with your doctor, maybe there is some reason.
  • LBachynsky
    Options
    I will probably get killed by others for this but my experience in the past month when I started working out and eating right is this. At first I lost no weight because I was eating back my calories and eating over 2400 calories a day because I would work out like an animal, didn't lose weight, so I decided to set my calories to 1600 per day and only work out a maximum of 400 calories giving me a net of 1200. I find if I go crazy and burn 1000 calories doing exercise it stalls me even if I eat them back.

So with that strategy I have lost 3-4 lbs per week steady.

I had a similar experience that goes against all the MFP rules, but it worked for me when I found I wasn't losing.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    Do you think you may be overestimating your calorie burn? To me your dairy looks pretty good, even though some days you might have too big of a deficit, but I don't think this should hurt you just beginning. You also may be retaining water from your muscles due to all the exercise. My advice is to keep doing it, and the weight should come off. If it doesn't, check with your doctor, maybe there is some reason.

I really don't know. I do use the Polar FT4 HRM for my calorie burns so it's the most accurate thing I can go by. Yesterday I burned over 1000 calories which isn't typical for me, and I don't usually workout for 90 minutes so that's why it's so high for that day
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Cut back on the salts! That will make you retain more water.
    But that's just water wt. Not FAT. Right?
    So, if she eats the same of similar amounts of salt everyday.. it's kinda a wash as to how much water wt there is...
    It fat we want to loose. Women will ALWAYS have more water wt than men. It just how it is...
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    You've lost 6.5 pounds. Congratulations! IMO, you are doing FINE. Really! That's a little over a pound a week, which is a healthy and sustainable rate of loss. Keep up the good work. Slow and steady wins the race. :flowerforyou:
  • mom2my5sons
    mom2my5sons Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    sometimes there just isn't a reason.........frustrating as that is! I stayed at the same weight (up a little, down a little) for over 6 weeks. I followed the calorie recommendations, got some exercise in-nothing happening. When it did move, I lost over 4 lbs in one week-not doing anything differently. I don't know WHY this happened, but it taught me to stick with it even when the scale wouldn't show results. Maybe you can switch things up a little, spike calories, cut back sodium.......see what works, but hang in there! Best!!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    You've lost 6.5 pounds. Congratulations! IMO, you are doing FINE. Really! That's a little over a pound a week, which is a healthy and sustainable rate of loss. Keep up the good work. Slow and steady wins the race. :flowerforyou:

this.

hey, my scale hasn't budged in months. but my pants are getting looser. much looser.
  • cynthia3010
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing, I work out and burn 561 calories a work out session and then my weight just stays the same, I feel the inches leaving but scale is not moving and it's VERY, VERY UPSETTING. I have thought the same thing give up the exercise and see what happens. It's hard to eat 1761 calores a day when you're trying to eat right.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Quit weighing yourself. Seriously. I am down a whopping total of five to six pounds depending on the day I weigh, but I am down two pants sizes. The scale will just frustrate you. Keep doing what you're doing. Congratulations!
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    you may just be replacing fat with muscle right now? try getting measurement and track that also. I can go a couple of weeks with no loss and then suddenly 2-4lbs is gone. just keep at it. you will get results.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options

this.

hey, my scale hasn't budged in months. but my pants are getting looser. much looser.

Slow and steady. Your body is changing even if the scale isn't. Be sure to include measurements every couple of weeks besides a weekly weigh in. That will help too.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    What they said:

Quit weighing yourself. Seriously. I am down a whopping total of five to six pounds depending on the day I weigh, but I am down two pants sizes. The scale will just frustrate you. Keep doing what you're doing. Congratulations!