I want to become a runner

Options

Replies

• shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have the c25k program that I am going to start as well.
  • beach_chelle
    Options
    I want to start running, to get addicted to running. I want to be that girl that you see on the side of the road in NIKE gear, not thinking about anything but her feet on the pavement.
    One problem:
    I am 300 lbs and have never ran before.

When I try jogging, my ankles feel as if they are going to break. I can never catch my breath.

How can I achieve what I want?

CW: 301
    Height: 5'9

I'm the same way, but at 253ish lbs atm....I used to run for like...sports training, but I've never dreamed of being a runner runner. One of my goals is to run a 5k in November (at Disney, because I'm a huge child haha)...But I want the same thing.....I've been planning on doing the c25k program but I am honestly SCARED lol

You don't have to be scared, I promise you won't regret it. Just do it!
  • kriggs1976
    Options
    I have your same dream...I am starting the C25K tonight and already have 2 others starting with me. Would you like to start also? I put an app on my phone that helps me track it. And as a team we can work together and help each other out.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I was 256 pounds when I started running. I was 37 years old, and had never run a day in my life. I can highly recommend the C25K programs, they yield amazing results! :) I've been running for a little over 2 years now, and I run half marathons and really enjoy just running. YOU CAN DO IT! :)
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i totally relate to what you are wanting..i was 300lbs once ..two years ago i was 270. i walked as far as i could which wasnt very far. i did that as many times in a week that i could. as the weight started coming off i found i could walk farther. i made tiny goals to meet each time i walked --to walk a bit further. then i started timing myself. i would see how long it took to walk to a certain point and then id try to beat that timing. this year i decided i wanted to run . i can do 5 miles in 57 minutes and want to get it down to 50. im 80lbs lighter by the way.. takes time,peristance and being consistant. i was sore all the time..my feet used to kill me. they dont anymore.

soak your feet in epsom salts when you're done. treat yourself to a pedicure now and then too. pamper the hell out of your feet and they will treat you well in the long run
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Couch to 5K too. I'm not overweight (anymore), but have never been a runner. I did week 1 for 4 days (a day off in between) and will probably pace the other weeks the same, or longer. You can repeat the weeks over and over till they feel good before you move onto the next one, and taking it slow to avoid injury and build endurance is the best advice.

Best of luck to you!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options

However you do need good shoes. my knees hurt really bad til I got a good pair at a running store.

This is very important. Go have your feet 'fit' for a good pair of shoes and don't skimp on the price. It will be worth it.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. Try to do an hour a day, till you're up to a good speed (you should be comfortably walking 3.5 - 4 mph)

Once you're doing that regularly, then you can phase the C25k into your walks.

This is roughly how I did it - I started off a little lighter than you, but not stupidly so.

Watch your knees, what your feet. When you're running try not to land too heavy on your feet, and try not to whack your heels down (aim for mid foot).

Enjoy. You'll be fine. You'll be that girl.
  • Jenni0101
    Jenni0101 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to get yourself a few good pair of synthetic socks to avoid blisters, wear long shorts or pants to avoid chaffing and be sure to wear a really supportive sports bra :) Being comfortable while running helps you to stay on track and not get discouraged.
  • fallonlaree
    Options
    I am the same way!!! I have recently started including light jogging into my work outs! The very first time I tried to even do a slow jog around the track (1/10 of a mile) I didn't make it a full lap and thought my legs were going to break under me and my lungs were on fire, but I kept at it. The next day I ran a whole lap, the next day I ran a lap and a half. Now I run 3 laps at least and for the first time yesterday I ran 5 laps ((HALF A MILE!!!!!!)).

It's painful now and your lungs feel like they may explode or burn you alive from the inside out, but do what you THINK you can and just push yourself to go a little bit further! Don't throw in the towel, use that towel to wipe the sweat off your face and keep going!!

Keep it up, I'm sure we'll both be running circles around the old us in no time!!!! Add me as a friend on here so maybe we could keep each other inspired.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    C25K would be my recommendation...that got me started and I've come a long way since then.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K works. That's all I have to say about that.
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I was where you were just over a year ago. I weighed 260 and wanted to become a runner too. I'm now down to 166 and have run two 5Ks. I'm committed to running a half marathon next February and truly believe I'll meet that goal!

I agree with what everyone else is saying. Start slow. Don't run on back-to-back days, especially if your joints hurt. Alternate with something non-impact, like water aerobics. I did the C25K program, but I waited to start it until after I had lost 30-40 pounds. And don't be afraid to repeat weeks. Doing every week twice (or maybe even three times) won't hurt! I wouldn't let myself move on to the next week until I could do the current week without feeling like I was going to die!

Good luck and don't give up! You can do it!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    dont be scared....you can do it......start slow, build your time and finish a program like c25k......you will feel such an amazing sense of accomplishment....even if it takes you more than the "9wks" they have the program set up as......it is better to build up your endurance and feel good doing what you are doing than to push forward and hurt yourself and/or get defeated and quit....YOU CAN DO IT.....i completed my first 1/2 marathon in jan 2008 at 225lbs....i'm doing my 2nd in 2wks and i'm in the mid 170s right now....you can do amazing things if you just believe that you can....YOU CAN...
    denise

ps - i totally agree about getting fitted for the "right" running shoes....it will make a world of difference in how you feel and perform...
  • jujuwoome
    Options
    The C25k app on the iphone just came out with a power walk app. I would start with that. You are still getting a good work out and building up your endurance. Then move on to the running/walking C25k program.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Start with walking, Everyday try to walk a little farther or a little faster than you did the previous day. Before you know it, you will be running.

This is exactly what I was going to say. You don't start running, you start walking. Any activity will help you out and you will get used to it. I started at 300+ so I know where you coming from. I still do a run/walk combo but it's getting longer and longer.

Be patient with it, and don't quit. It will suck at first, but it will get better.
  • dcashin90
    dcashin90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I couldn't praise C25K enough. It got me from someone who could barely run to catch a bus without losing breath to running a 10K. Once I'd completed that programme I started building myself up to do a 10K. It's perfectly doable. The key is to start slow and build yourself up week by week. Before you know it you'll be running non-stop for an hour and not even notice.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You can and will do it. I weighed 282 4 years ago. I was 51 and couldn't bend over and tie my shoes. I now weigh 170-172 and have done half and full marathons. My favrotes are ten milers and 15k's. I run 13 miles almost every Sat before the sun comes up. It is not always easy, as you struggle with injuires, but you learn a lot about yourself. It takes dedication. You will not get there overnight, but you will get there.
    I have ran in severe thunderstorms, snow, temps of 15 degrees and strong headwind almost blowing me down. It is exhilerating when it is over.
    I once saw a picture of a older woman running up a mountain and the caption was "There will be a day when I can no longer do this. That day is not today."
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    be the Nike add and just do it.... c25k is a great app and a great way to ease into it. If it's too hard then just keep adding to it till you can do week one then move on. You can do it.

Did you every notice that before Biggest Loser you never saw any "fat" runners and now they're everywhere. :) Just keep going and remember you're not going faster than anyone if you're still on the couch. :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...and with the shoe recommendations...a lot of my 'runner friends' got fitted at a running store, then shopped online for the best price on the shoes...saved quite a bit!