Wanted: Brussels Sprouts Recipes

Options
Hello all... I am planning to make Brussels Sprouts for dinner tonight but have never cooked fresh ones before. Any suggestions? Boiled? Roasted? Sauteed? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    roasted
    otherwise try here http://food52.com/contests/71_best_brussel_sprouts for inspiration ;)
  • audrenr
    audrenr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I take fresh brussel sprouts and blanch them in boiling water for about 1 min (just enough to be bright green). Then I pat them dry and put them on a baking sheet. You can drizzle a little bit of olive oil on them if you want to, but you don't have to, and add salt, pepper, and rosemary (you could use thyme or garlic too). Roast them on 400 for about 20-30 mins (until they start to get brown). To finish them off, splash them w/ a good balsamic vinegar. They are super yummy. Hope you have a great dinner!
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts when roasted release all of their natural sugar. I cut them in half, place them in a bowl, and toss them with s & p, and olive oil. Put them on a baking sheet at 400 degrees till tender and grate some fresh parmesan while still hot. Delish and the only way I can eat them!
  • Machdude
    Machdude Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Try Baking with a little olive oil, with crushed pecans and dried cranberry. You should be able to google it. I found it inline and modified to make it healthy, but it's a really nice combination.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Cut in half and cut off the bottom ends

rub with duck fat and salt

put in a pre heated 500 degree oven for about 20 min, stirring them around and flipping them over every so often

drizzle with balsamic when they are done
  • cnweiss88
    cnweiss88 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just made these a few minutes ago--they are so good.

Preheat oven to 450 deg Fahrenheit.
    Cut the the hard stems off the brussel sprouts, cut the sprouts in half on their axis.
    Coat the bottom of an oven-safe skillet with olive oil. Heat on med-high.
    When the oil is shimmering, put in the brussel sprouts cut side down in a single layer. Toss in 5+ cloves of garlic (i used whole cloves, crushed with the side of a knife to release flavor).
    Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, until sprouts begin to brown.
    Move the brussel sprouts to the preheated oven: roast for 25-30 min, shaking occasionally.
    Season to taste.
    Eat 'em.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I made 'em real simple last week - cut off the hard ends...tossed into food steamer for 20 mins...then seasoned with garlic powder and Lawry's seasoning salt....oh and some melted butter. Simple and good if you don't have time to do much else.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Brussel Sprouts when roasted release all of their natural sugar. I cut them in half, place them in a bowl, and toss them with s & p, and olive oil. Put them on a baking sheet at 400 degrees till tender and grate some fresh parmesan while still hot. Delish and the only way I can eat them!

This, they are great this way.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    bump love them!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The standard is steamed. If you do it that way, do not overcook them. You want them soft not squidgy.

But roasted is much much nicer.

I don't cut them before roasting them, but I see no reason not to. :-)
  • daves1grl
    Options
    My favorite is oven roasted. Toss in olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt. Cook on sheet in 350 degree oven about 15 min. depending on your oven. Yummo!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Toss in apple cider vinegar and olive oil then bake at 350 degrees for 30 min or so. Yummy and tart!
  • scicco
    scicco Posts: 58 Member
    Options

This, they are great this way.
    this is the best
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Yep, love my roasted brussel sprouts tossed in EVOO, salt/pepper, and garlic. Mrs Dash has a whole bunch of fun flavored seasoning. I'll prolly try those next time. I do love balsamic vinegar but never thought to put it on my sprouts. Sounds zingy-yummy!
  • cerrajean
    cerrajean Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I cut the bottom and peel off the outter leaves (had one batch that had bugs under the leaves, and I've never trusted them again), drop em in a ziplock bag, add 2 tsp of garlic olive oil and any seasonings you like.

SHAKE IT!

Then dump them out on a cookie sheet covered with foil. I sprinkle them with Lawry's seasoned salt and pop em in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 375.

I love being able to change how they're seasoned with the different spices and stuff too- hot sauces, etc.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Shredded and sauteed with EVOO, garlic and ****ake Mushrooms....
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    roasted with olive oil salt pepper and fresh garlic sometimes I sprinkle parmesean chz its sooooo good!! My husband also julienned carrots apples and did like a shredded version of brussel sprouts and made a coleslaw out of it. not sure what kind of dressing he made but it was good!! I was surprised
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Roast them!!! Put them in a bowl, coat wth EVOO and spices (chili or ceyenne powder, onion/garlic powder, black pepper, or some cajun/bayou mix) and roast at 400 degrees for about 20 min until they just start to brown.

Don't boil or steam them. Just thinking about how that ruins them makes me sad. :cry: