Is working considered exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• Glovesave3373
    Glovesave3373 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When you set up your account it asks you about your activities and work. For example my normal M-F job is seditary and I sit at a desk pretty much all day. However my part-time job I'm standing all day. For propery calorie count and goal, I set my activity level low at seditary and therefor anytime I do anything above sitting around like, stand for 6-7 hours I add that to my daily total.

If your job has you that busy all the time you should adjust your profile to show your activity level is higher than seditary.

Good luck and keep up with the questions ... they all count!!!

I think I should clarify a bit.... my activity level is set low to provide me a lower calorie base to work off of.... this also provides me with a calorie base that if I hit my goal on a day I don't exercise I am still in the range to loss weight. I don't just put in minutes walking to the printer and back from my chair at work, plus if my part-time job was a more normal occurance I would increase my level of activity to better account for my overall weekly activity.
    I still do exercise and play sports and would of course prefer to count them, but I will tell you this... three weeks ago I went shopping with my family... my daughter is 30lbs and having one of those, daddy pick me up days... we shopped for nearly 4 hours from store to store and by the end of the day my biceps had reached failure... I was switching left to right and back over and over... and I put 1 hour of hold child 15lbs or more to my daily activities and calories burnt. I don't care if you stay at a gym for an hour or walk around Walmart, Target, Supermarket and the Mall for an hour holding a 30lb dumbell it is still work that you do and are not sitting on the couch!!!
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    On average you burn 100 calories per mile whether you walk it or run it. The difference between walking and running is running increase metabolism. I would NOT include your work activities as exercise.
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    On average you burn 100 calories per mile whether you walk it or run it. The difference between walking and running is running increase metabolism. I would NOT include your work activities as exercise.

It's all about getting your heart rate up and keeping it up; if you're walking slowly, your heart rate won't go up as high as if you run, obviously. You'd be surprised how high my heart rate can go loading in a delivery or climbing up and down a ladder for fifteen minutes holding armfuls of ski jackets. I think any sustained activity should be logged as exercise. It's calories in vs. calories out - if you're logging everything that goes into your mouth, why aren't you logging everything that you're expending?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    thanks for everyone's input. I guess what I need to do is put myself on a strict diet of leaves, sticks and berries. Haha!

Okay I'll just not consider it exercise. I guess it was when I first started doing it a year ago but now my body is used to it. I'll just log the unloading and stuff because we only do that once a day (except on rare occasions, twice)
    What kind of leaves?:smokin:

Here are some great sites addressing lady needs when it comes to exercise.
    http://www.stumptuous.com/
    http://www.weightliftingforwomen.net/
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/

I know what works for most people, and the main item that spells success is just the doing of something that targets every muscle group in the body.
    It's work. And there are no short cuts.
    Learn from the experts, then decide what your goals are and move from there.

All Is Possible!
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I walk, stand, lift (around 60lb), carry, pack and some sitting at my job.

You account for this in your activity level. Mine is set to very active and works well for me.