Poll: Is it Rude to Question the Waiter When Out To Lunch Wi

Options

Replies

• hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it would be rude to know what it is you're ordering as long as you're asking politely. Maybe it was something in the way you asked; but I wasn't there so I can't really say. It's best to know what you're ordering before you get it so you don't have to send it back or get something you didn't want.
  • Jennwbs
    Options
    I think it makes total sense to ask questions like that! It only gets rude when you're asking for the life story of every ingredient on their menu, I think. Frankly it's far more healthy and responsible of you to be asking how your food is being prepared and cooked, than your friends who will just be putting what they're given in their bodies without a second thought :S
  • teacup8285
    Options
    I think it is great you asked. There is nothing wrong with that at all. They were wrong to even ask! I went out today and asked how many calories were in the dish. He was surprised but found someone to answer my question. I was polite and she was very helpful.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I have to say when on a first date this is something I really watch the other person do. I am seeing how she askes questions to our server .. I don't care what questions are asked.. but HOW they are asked. If a date is rude or rolls eyes to a waiter or server, then I don't want anything to do with it.

Sometimes its not what we say .. but how we say it!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Your co worker sounds like the type of person to eat what she is served even if it is wrong . . . just so they don't have to "make waves".
    I think making waves mades you informed and smart about your choices . . . really . . . have any of us thought it was actually rude???
  • melloneill16
    melloneill16 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    All my friends make fun of me for "altering" the food prepared and being a pain at every sitting, it made me self concious for a while, then I GOT OVER IT! Why should they dictate what goes in my body? I Say "your glad I'm here and should enjoy my company!"

I now no longer apologize for caring what goes in MY BODY!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    The people with you might have been irritated or annoyed, especially if they weren't eating healthy. Some people will never question a waiter, to them it's embarrassing. But as a waitress, I will tell you what I know and find out what I can't!! I work in a smaller kitchen and the big kitchen is upstairs. I will call upstairs or go upstairs to try and help you out!
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    not rude! you have a right to find out what the heck your eating!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Plus, if your server is super accommodating, you're more likely to tip well, and servers like that :)

That's one thing I believe in... tipping well for great service!
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    Not rude. I do this all the time, whether dieting, allergies, or just wanting my food prepared a certain way; as long as it is done tastefully.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I think it's weird that they would think that's weird. I aske questions all the time, and when I was a server it was my job to know about the food so that I could answer questions as part of my job.

Well, it was 7 years ago (I don't remember for sure, but I wasn't a mom, lol). so I'm thinking maybe people didn't care as much about health back then.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As long as you ask them politely, I see no problem with it. I'm vegetarian, and I always ask a ton of (possibly annoying) questions about what is in my food, including the ever popular "is there chicken or some other type of meat stock in that?" Half the time they look at me like I'm crazy, then go ask the kitchen, and sure enough, there is. I'm polite, and I tip well, if they think I'm rude just for asking, well, I guess that's life. My husband is a little embarrassed by it sometimes though.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    You're paying for the inflated cost of food at the restaurant. The server's job is to SERVE you. That's how they earn their tip. Ask away!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Not rude. If you asked for a zillion different changes and substitutions to a menu item, that might be a bit much, but there's nothing at all wrong with asking for clarification.
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Is it polite to ask people if they they always want to know what their choices are so they can make the right one? Maybe...
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    responsible i do the same thing and if the waiter or waitress doesnt like it they get no tip lol. I was a waitress years ago and i never minded if someone asked me about food.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude at all as long as you ask politely.

I do the same thing :)
  • BrownEyedJerseyGirl
    Options
    I don't think it's rude at all and I have done it to be responsible.. Yesterday I went to lunch with a co-worker. I ordered the grilled chicken salad and I asked if the chicken was prepared with any oils - the server checked with the cook and said yes but they could prepare it without the added oil. My co-worker looked at me strangely at first but then said it was a good question and she ordered the same. No point ordering grilled chicken if they are going to add oil.
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's not what you say, but rather how you say it that can come off as being rude.

If you asked in a gentle manner, then I'd say it was responsible.

If you asked in a more abrupt tone, however, I could see why your coworkers would question your actions.
  • ShaSimone
    Options
    Absolutely NOT rude!! Any waiter/waitress worth tipping will know the answer to all your questions...and if they don't know they will find out and tell you.