Tonight I was in food hell.....

Options
sonjavon
sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
Friends of ours invited us over tonight for a card tournament. The deal was that everyone was supposed to bring their own sandwich fixins and we'd just kind of all make sandwiches, chips, etc. I thought, "Cool. I can do this... I can premeasure my lunchmeat, take my Sun Chips, take my Sandwich Thins, etc... I'll be fine."

We arrived to the smell of fresh baked cookies. Then the mini-quiches came out. Then came the chocolate pound cake, the mixed drinks, the potato soup... I was in FOOD HELL! I honestly got angry listening to everyone talk about the food.

I'm proud of myself... I ate my sandwich, some sun chips, some raw veggies (no dip, thank you), an apple, a banana, 3 wafer cookies and my splurge of the night? I drank some diet sunkist. I went over my calories by 231. Not bad considering the damage that I COULD have done and WOULD have done had I been even a little less committed to this.

One of the ladies kept asking me if I wanted a cookie, a piece of cake, etc. Politely I refused.... again.... and again..... and again.... My friends husband came over and sat next to me and said, "I'm really proud of you. You're doing great. Is there anything you need?" I kid you not... I teared up! It was exactly what I needed to hear at that moment... his "atta girl" got me through the rest of the night!

I have one more "food nightmare" to get through - Easter Brunch. At least that takes place early afternoon so I can come home and work off any extra... but after tonight, I know I'll do just fine.

Replies

• sonjavon
    Options
    Friends of ours invited us over tonight for a card tournament. The deal was that everyone was supposed to bring their own sandwich fixins and we'd just kind of all make sandwiches, chips, etc. I thought, "Cool. I can do this... I can premeasure my lunchmeat, take my Sun Chips, take my Sandwich Thins, etc... I'll be fine."

We arrived to the smell of fresh baked cookies. Then the mini-quiches came out. Then came the chocolate pound cake, the mixed drinks, the potato soup... I was in FOOD HELL! I honestly got angry listening to everyone talk about the food.

I'm proud of myself... I ate my sandwich, some sun chips, some raw veggies (no dip, thank you), an apple, a banana, 3 wafer cookies and my splurge of the night? I drank some diet sunkist. I went over my calories by 231. Not bad considering the damage that I COULD have done and WOULD have done had I been even a little less committed to this.

One of the ladies kept asking me if I wanted a cookie, a piece of cake, etc. Politely I refused.... again.... and again..... and again.... My friends husband came over and sat next to me and said, "I'm really proud of you. You're doing great. Is there anything you need?" I kid you not... I teared up! It was exactly what I needed to hear at that moment... his "atta girl" got me through the rest of the night!

I have one more "food nightmare" to get through - Easter Brunch. At least that takes place early afternoon so I can come home and work off any extra... but after tonight, I know I'll do just fine.
  • Emdog24
    Emdog24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That's really awesome! The hardest thing for me is always social functions that center around food. I hope the next time I have to face one I will have the diligence you have to get through it!
  • kaleohone
    kaleohone Posts: 86
    Options
    Way to go!!! Family gatherings and occasions are always the hardest for me. Tomorrow I will think of your story and your will power and determination and hopefully I will be able to pass up all those "bad" foods and snacks. You are definitely an inspiration. Thanks....
  • Funisweetsmart
    Funisweetsmart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    WTG

I was in food hell too! And was tempted by the food devil and ate the food. I don't even want to tell you guys what I ate. It was all a blurr after I realized what I had done it was all gone. :sick:
  • indianagranny
    Options
    That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing - what an inspiring story to remember.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    You battled the demons! There is a place in healthy heaven for you now! Way to go!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! :flowerforyou:

I always say that "Life Get's in the Way" of being perfect all the time. You handled it beautifully!! :wink:

I always wonder why social events always seem to have to revolve around food!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • happy2bscrappin
    Options
    What a great inspiration! :flowerforyou: I think I will carry this through the day with me while I go to my sister for Easter dinner... big italian feast!!!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    They always have Tam.... look at weddings, funerals, baby showers...... there is always food there. Eating togthere brings people closer. What we have to do is make sure we make the best choices possible when we are at these functions
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Tip: If there are enough people at a big event, it's really easy to say "Oh, thank you SO much, yes I already had some just a bit ago, and it was DELICIOUS!!"

Are they really going to know you didn't?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    that is totally awesome

it is so tough to do what you did

you should be proud

WTG:flowerforyou:
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    awesome! such will power!

who won the card games??
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    awesome! such will power!

who won the card games??

Bob and Janey won the card games
    you know them?
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
    :flowerforyou:
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    yeah, we hang out all the time....
  • sonjavon
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm happy to report that I "survived" the brunch today as well.... everything was cooked in butter - the carrots, the sugar snap peas, the salmon.... but I took smaller portions, passed on the dessert and opted for fruit salad. If I figure right... the meal was probably about an 800 calorie meal... which makes me very happy that I was up this morning walking on the treadmill.

I think the thing that makes me the happiest is that I now "realize" that the veggies weren't really a "healthy" choice - because they were swimming in butter. We'll have a nice low-cal, low sodium for dinner and call it good. Sometimes "good enough" just has to be...

As to who won the card game? My husband... as usual. LOL!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: way to go, keep up the great work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!