Need running encouragement

Options
I currently workout 4 days a week doing bootcamp and walking. I need to step up my cardio and start running more, rather than walking. I've done several 5ks so I know I can do it I just need the encouragement to get out there and do it. Running tips are very much appreciated as well. I would love to improve my time on my 5k. Last official race time was 39. I want to do better :smile:

Replies

• AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me - I try to run twice a week, between 5 and 8k, and am going to be doing a 10k race on 31 march so need to step it up. my goal is to run the 10k in between 60 and 70 minutes. we can motivate each other to run and improve!
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me as well. I just joined MFP and need some friendly encouragement. Right now I am running 4-5 times a week with a "long" run of about 5 miles but my typical run tends to be more like 3 miles. I used to run distances up to full marathon but injuries and just being out of shape have put me back to square 1 (or close to it, anyway). I'd love to have some buddies to share the ups/downs of a new running life.
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    About this time last year when I got back into running, I could hardly do 20 minutes consecutively. Over the past year, I have gone from running something like 10:30min/mile to 7:15min/mile. I've also really come to love running because once you get started you build the stamina to feel good about it. Here are some tips.

1. Get a running buddy. Running with friends is always more fun than running alone. It's more likely that you would stick to the schedule and talking is better than headphones because you can still be aware of traffic/your surroundings. Running with another person is so much more fun

2. Start off by running 2-3 times per week. The first week getting back into it is really tough, but once you start with the 5K distance, you can try adding 1/2 a mile here or there.

3. Speed work & Hills. Try to incorporate speed work into your runs even if it's as simple as finding a landmark 30feet in front of you and randomly sprinting towards things. You can of course do an interval plan and time it, but casually incorporating that into runs is probably easiest. You will hate hills at first, but make one day a week or once every other week a hill run. Find a big hill and run up down and around it for 20 minutes.

4. If you run in the mornings always eat something small before you start (like 1/2 a banana). This definitely helps me during runs if going out before breakfast.

5. Set goals and get training. Right now I'm training for a 1/2 marathon, a 10-miler, an 8k, and a triathlon (all spread out over several months). While this might seem crazy, I have a lot of friends who also like doing races and it's a good way to bond with people and have something to strive towards as you train.

Best of luck. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but those are just some things that I have found helpful over the past year.
  • LongRunner77
    LongRunner77 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi all, feel free to add me as well....I'm currently running 4-5 times a week, working my way back from a stress fracture in my tibia...I've run most distances from a 5k to a marathon and beyond....thanks!
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run at all last year, so I started with spin class and cycling. Now I can probably run better than I could as a teenager. I found that my knees, legs, and lungs hurt too much to run every day or even every other day. But after I built up my cardio and stamina from the bike and lost 75 pounds last year, and building my running slowly, it is WAY easier. So, what I'm saying is you might mix it up with some other cardio (like cycling/spin, maybe even swimming or jumping rope, anything you like that gets your blood pumping and legs moving) so you can still build without pounding your knees and ankles into injury or getting burned out.
  • jbescherer
    jbescherer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike+GPS to log my runs. It is kind of fun to have a famous athlete say good job or something like that when you finish. it also tells you have far you have gone and at what pace. There are different settings as well to challenge you. There are other programs but I haven’t tried them yet. Still working on getting to know this one.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big runner, but am working on it. It is the only exercise than really trims me out, but it is a struggle. I'm back up to 3 miles, because I signed up for a few races to force me back into it. I would love to have some running friends to keep me motivated. Good Luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I started running last year for the first time in my life. I ran my first half marathon on 1/15 and have another scheduled for 3/25. Running with friends is definitely more interesting than running alone but you if you do run alone it's a good time to sort things out in your head (although I'm usually just thinking about my breathing, my pace and how much longer to my next walk break LOL)

My best advice is to start out slowly. The most common cause of injuries like shin splints and knee problems is trying to do too much too soon. Don't run more often than every other day and keep the days between to something low- or non-impact to save your joints. When increasing your distance, don't increase by more than 10%. I have been completely injury free and I know following this advice is a good part of the reason why.
  • bugs5697
    Options
    I feel that running keeps me calm. I try to get in a few runs (jogs) a week, but with this MN weather/lack of daylight, it's difficult sometimes. I would love to have more running buddies on-line to help motivate me as well. Please don't be alarmed if you have a friend request from me soon!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I run 5-6 days a week, usually 5 miles a day but I also do 3-8 miles on other days depending on how much time I have and how I'm feeling. I'm trying to work up to do a half marathon this summer.
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have run off 90 lbs in the past year. I am doing longer distances now (just ran 10 miles last weekend) and I'm training for my first half marathon in a few months. Maybe we can encourage each other.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    if you are looking to improve your running time. incorporate fartleks in your training. I enjoy this & it goes by so quickly. Also, hit those hills! They are a killer but well worth it.

http://runners-resource.com/fartlek

good luck & happy running.

oh, also make sure you are stretching. I use a foam roller for absolute stretching. I love this!
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    I currently workout 4 days a week doing bootcamp and walking. I need to step up my cardio and start running more, rather than walking. I've done several 5ks so I know I can do it I just need the encouragement to get out there and do it. Running tips are very much appreciated as well. I would love to improve my time on my 5k. Last official race time was 39. I want to do better :smile:

mind if I add you? Seems we're in the same boat, need encouragement to keep running. Last official 5k time in October was 38. I haven't run in 3 weeks now and I can feel it.