im new- could use a little help please

Options
I've been trying to lose weight on my own for a bit now, managed to lose 33 lbs so far, but having a hard time losing the rest so I joined here a few days ago. My question is about the calories. I keep coming up under my goal. For instance I've had breakfast and lunch so far today and done one of my 2 workouts. My summary so far says goal:1430 food :647 exercise : -611= net : 36
should I be eating more? If I start eating more than I have been wont I gain weight? I'm confused.

Replies

• mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yes. Eat more. Do some searches about eating more. Lots of info out there.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Yes your body has 36 cals to function on.. yes you need to eat more. The 1430 already has factored in a calorie deficit so even if you ate back all your exercise calories on top of all your food (2041 cals) you still would lose weight. But you need enough food your body can function and be healthy.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Agree. Eat more, but do make sure your calories burned are accurate. MFP does tend to be generous.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your goals so that you will lose weight without counting any exercise.

You need to eat so your Net = 1430.

1430 on days you do not exercise + more for fuel when you do exercise.
  • FrankieOx
    FrankieOx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Just losing weight, toning up, gaining muscle, cardio? All these will play into your cals.

Definitely looks like you are majorly low on your calories though. Be safe, don't drop too far negative you don't want to harm your organs and/or incur injuries.
  • crysroe3611
    Options
    You mention one of two exercises is that a day? Because while working out is a good thing you do need to get your body rest too. Also you need to make sure you eat enough for your body to stay healthy, if you are doing exercises and eating the same your body could go into shut down mode and that is not good.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat enough each day, your body needs the nutrition and energy to burn in your workouts. The only way you will gain weight is if you go over your daily calorie intake. Your body needs food and they say you lose weight by eating so make sure you feed your body.
  • kbogati
    kbogati Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose another 27lbs (at least). yes, I've been working out twice a day once in the afternoon and again at night when I get home from work. (less on the weekends though). Thanks for the help everyone!