Thinking of tryin C25K......?

Options
2»

Replies

• ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 day 2 (tomorrow) and it's gone great! I was a little leery because of a knee injury I had/have and have found the intervals doing wonders to help strengthen my knee and make running less painful. I highly recommend giving it a try. Don't get discouraged by how fast or slow you're going, we all have to start somewhere. I know quite a few people have mentioned this but it's worth mentioning again, get proper shoes!! Also, do not use those shoes for anything other than your running, no wearing them to work or out and about.. running only! Best of luck!
  • Tim249
    Tim249 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm only a little ways into the c25k program and wanted to second the people who mention using apps if you have a iPhone/iPod or Android. I put RunKeeper on my iPhone and programmed it with all of the c25K stuff (very easy to set up) and as they have mentioned, the app lowers your music and tells you what to do. And at the end fo the run you have a nice little map of your route and some statistics. It definitely helps with motivation to see the data. Then I log in here and input it all; it complements MFP very well.

There are other apps out there that are similar, including an "official" one for what that's worth. Mostly, it's nice that I don't have to stare at the time while I run--the "watched pot never boils" effect I guess.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    C25K is awesome.

I spent 26 YEARS believing I couldn't run, because in junior high, my best friend was asked to try out for the track team and I wasn't. I just told myself, "She's athletic. I'm not. I'm more academic."

I started it in December of 2010, and in two months, I was able to run 3 miles. A month later, I entered my first race. Another two months later, and I was able to keep up with my very athletic 25 year old niece in a 5 mile race. By September, I won an award for first in age group in a 5k and second in age group in a 10k!

I had a stress fracture and couldn't run for several weeks, and I'm using C25K as physical therapy to ease me back into running again. I'm did week 3 day 1 yesterday.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    JUST DO IT!

I started with this in Sept and am currently training for my first Half marathon and just ran 9 miles on Monday! Anyone can do this!!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i just had my first day of week 3. i'm taking my time. i took three weeks for week 2. and i'm ok with that. i'm starting from NEVER having run. like EVER.

it's not easy. i'm not gonna lie. this morning i wanted to SHANK DJ Beatsmith (the dj for the audio program i chose). i quite often wish him serious bodily harm. but it's worth it. and every day i do better. and that's the point.

i say go for it.
  • lou1105
    lou1105 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Whats helped me with the c25k is downloading the NHS c25k podcast off itunes and loading it onto my ipod. Its really good and plays music but also tells you when to start running and when to walk. Helps me alot :)
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I just started week 4 on monday, I am taking my time at it listen to your body and you will be fine. I have never been a runner ever and I find that c25K is fantastic for helping me get to where I want to be.

Just remember, there is no race and if you feel you aren't ready to move on to the next level don't stay there until you are comfortable.
  • anilyze
    Options
    I finished the program right around the start of the new year and I'm up to about 5 miles now. It's a great program!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Curious to see what the further responses to this will be...I've definitely been thinking about trying it out, too
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    Is C25K a program you have to purchase? or is it just guidelines to follow?
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It's a free program you just follow. I used this version for the treadmill: http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I did C25K, and finished last September. I have NEVER run, and just started exercising in late July. Seriously from the couch to the treadmill.

I'm now running 5k a few times a week, and am training to do a 8km run next month. I managed an 8k on the treadmill last night. I want to get back outside VERY soon. As soon as the weather is better, I'm putting in outdoor miles.

Things to know... Running on the treadmill is SO much easier. I didn't go outside until about week 3 of C25K, and it was a shock. Its so much nicer to be outside, but also that much harder. If you are going to start out on the treadmill, slowly add an incline to it, up to about 1.5, I wouldn't go much higher for safety...

Get GOOD shoes. Not the cheapest you can find. Get fitted, and pay a bit more. You'll thank yourself.

Most of all, just do it. Have fun, and do it at your pace. Go slow enough to finish the intervals, even if its just barely over walking speed. The rest will come in time.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Started it back in late August, and I had not run in over ten years. Seriously, the last time I had run, was in 1999, when they made us to the mile in middle school, and even then I only ran up to thirty seconds at a time.
    Now, I can comfortably run a mile every day, and am transitioning to two miles daily. I can run for 35 minutes, but it still isn't very easy for me. I highly recommend it. Get good shoes, and make sure to stretch! Be careful of what you eat before too, side stitches are wicked.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 6 day 3 today. I'm doing the nhs one which you can get from here or directly from itunes.

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx

My top tips:
    1. get decent shoes - my niggly knee problem disappeared completely when I did
    2. don't go too fast
    3. keep your head up and look where you're going - don't look at the ground
    4. don't go too fast (this one is important! :tongue: )
    5. don't be afraid to repeat a day or a week if you have to
    6. don't do a c25k run after a night on the booze when you've got a hangover :drinker:

Above all, don't believe you can't just because you never have.
  • tmfpartyof4
    tmfpartyof4 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    So I just read up on this today, after seeing some other people saying they have either heard of it or done it. Any success stories? Any failure stories? It says on the webpage, that anyone can become a runner. Now, I am all for optimism...however, I am a serious couch patato!!! Doe this really train you to run without being short of breath and quitting in 5 minutes? What do I need to know about this c25K? Thanks!

in 2010, i did it and I loved it. After that, i started doing 5K races. It does train you and by the time you are done, you are running the whole thing! I was in the same boat (and recently got back in that boat) and I would recommend it. It does take dedication and it will be hard at first, but it is an excellent program.

I did the C210K- i didnt complete the running part, but i did complete a 10K run/walk.

You can do it!
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY DO IT! The program has changed my life forever, not even joking.

I was never a runner and had no desire to be, just wanted to run to lose weight. I started, gave up, and restarted probably 7 times before I actually got serious and did the entire thing through. I could barely make it through the 60 second runs the first week - I thought i was going to die!

I won't lie to you, you have to work hard. But it is so worth it because you feel so accomplished and it made me start to love running. I never in a million years imagined myself as a runner. But..Since I completed the program (a year ago) I have done more 5Ks than I remember to count, a 5-miler, a 10K, and I'm now training for a half marathon.

I really hope this convinced you to do it, because I promise you won't regret it!!
    Feel free to add me for questions, motivation, whatever! :)
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Is C25K a program you have to purchase? or is it just guidelines to follow?

totally free. go to c25k.com for FREE downloadable podcasts - you put these on your ipod or mp3 and walk/run to the music.

it is provided free, this is not an illegal download.

they have many styles of music and many languages.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I had not run in years. I could't run for 100 yards without having to stop. I started C25K the first weekend in October and competed in my first 5K on the 30th of October. And I jogged the whole thing without stopping. Yep, it works. You can do it. You're young. I'm 50 with sucky knees. If I did it, anyone can. Although, I do possess more than my fair share of stubborn.
  • nikkibyrdRN
    nikkibyrdRN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in May of 2011. I am now training for a half marathon and I am currently up to 8miles! I was lazy and hated running. I've lost 40lbs and I now LOVE running! The programs is set for you to take it at your own pace. Go as slow as you need to when running and repeat days/weeks if necessary! You will be so glad you did it!!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    What have you got to lose??? Give it a try, you won't know if you like unless you try it.

I am on W2 D2 ~ LOVE IT ~ NEVER FELT BETTER

Good luck :smile: