I was about to buy the fitbit but then.....

Options
So about to finally get a fitbit and see that they are not sweat proof! I am a sea-world grade sweater, I don't want to waste 100bucks. Anyone have any options? I just want to know calories burned especially when I am dripping gross.

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Polar has several heart rate monitors that are pretty accurate. I've had mine for several years now and it does measure the calories burned during a workout. And it seems to love sweat too!:laugh:
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Another vote for polar. I have the FT7. Love it and I get sweaty!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of HRMs like Polar for workouts. if you just wanna see what you're doing throughout they day though the FitBit seems to be a popular choice. also... just put it in a zip-lock bag...
  • cherriewilliams
    cherriewilliams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I bought a Sportline HRM combo watch/chest strap at Walmart for $50. It's water and sweat proof and shows calories burned.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    All I know is I am constantly seeing posts about people having problems with their FitBits. Doesn't seem worth it.
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    A workout device that isn't sweat proof....someone from product development needs to ping their head off a post for coming up with that.
  • msmellebelle
    Options
    I have a fitbit and sweat a WHOLE LOT. Because of this, i will wear the fitbit on my hip where the least amount of sweat lands. I've worn it on my sports bra and gotten all types of sweaty and it did not affect the product. i guess you could say it was a risk well worthy taking for me :)

good luck with your decision. i hear the body bugg is ok...maybe body media?
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and sweat like crazy, but an HRM is a good choice for some. I like the daily wear of the fitbit, and I personally will get an HRM for the workouts. At some point i'll retire the fitbit and give it to my daughter, but for now at least it keeps me moving.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I am a sea-world grade sweater, I don't want to waste 100bucks.

:::snort::: hahahah. That almost got me to spit out my water.
  • glennam1
    glennam1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use a TIMEX...we (my hubby and I) love ours :smile:
  • tmorgan1312
    tmorgan1312 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit isn't meant to be submerged in water, but it is okay with regular sweat. I wear mine on my waistband and it has been fine.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I use the FitBit all day -- I clip it to my pants pocket during the day, to my workout shorts at the gym and during a run. It is not waterproof, but a little splash or a little sweat doesn't seem to bother it -- however, it does have a problem if you soak it. I also use the Polar FT7 at the gym and it actually needs to be moist for the contacts to sense heart rate -- I have never had a problem with it working properly. My son mentioned the Nike+ Fuel Band to me -- it is currently sold out and on back order and it has just recently come onto the market. I do know that the company behind FitBit has excellent customer service and I would recommend their device.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I wear it on the wristband and am dripping sweat when i'm done working out and it doesn't seem to care.
  • tpot74
    tpot74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just got a polar ft60 HRM...in the setting up stages now...I'm excited and can't wait to put it to use.
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    awesome thanks for the suggestions. i shall be researching online tonight! :heart:
  • Grumpyier
    Grumpyier Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Put your energy and money into what you consume for food and of course the exercise. You will notice your goals becoming a reality. Save your money on all gadgets. I did and I have done well losing and getting fit since Sept 20ll.
  • sar04tamu
    Options
    I sweat like crazy and I've never had any problems with my FitBit. Based on their forums, the FitBit even seems to be able to withstand a quick dunk in the toilet or washing machine.