How heavy is too heavy for a bike?????

Options
Im 112kg, dunno what that is in pounds.

I have a new bike and the tyres already get squished when i ride LOL, but IS there a weight limit? I looked in the instruction manual for one and there wasnt, sooooooo How big are you and do you ride?

Im also going to be putting my toddler on it for school drop offs and pick ups because i rode with her on her bike today and it took us 2hrs 35mins for 9.3k LOL. Im knackered to say the least!

Replies

• wylde06
    wylde06 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What kind of bike?..actually that doesnt matter. There is no weight limit for a bike, its the wheels you want to watch.

I weigh 227 and I regularly ride my bike.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You tyres need more air.

My husband hovers around 100kg and commutes on a bike daily. Sometimes a mountainbike, sometimes a road bike.
    112kg is fine.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    What kind of bike?..actually that doesnt matter. There is no weight limit for a bike, its the wheels you want to watch.

I weigh 227 and I regularly ride my bike.

well there are some weight limits but they're pretty high. 250 pounds should not be an issue as long as you aren't mountain biking. You have to inflate the tires to proper amounts though. Sounds like this person doesn't have proper tire inflation. I've had over 250 pounds on my bike with no issues. Me plus small kid on front mounted kid seat and bigger kid on back mounted kid seat. I don't advise it for anybody though. Hard to balance especially as kids get to moving around.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I rode my road bike when I was 289 lbs (131 kg). 1 kg is 2.21 lbs by the way. They say go with a slightly wider tire on road bikes. like a 25 or 28, rather than the normal 23.
  • fionamac15
    Options
    :heart:

im nearly 20st and i go a bike, as everyone says pump ur tyres a bit more stay away from holes and kerbs as they hurt, but apart from that good on you and keep peddling....
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I rode a bike over 100kgs too, no problem (though it was a hybrid, not a roadie).

I know the spin bikes at my gym are weight restricted to 135kgs (but that probably doesnt help much ;)

I say get on and go!
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I rode my bike at 130kg Mel! I'm now 106kg and they still have a bit of movement, but not so much. Your bike will be fine!
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Good on you for getting out there and having a go! Cycling is a great way to help lose weight and is really kind to your knees and joints. I seriously doubt that you are too heavy for your bike, but why not pop into your local bike shop and get their advice. My local bike shop is my best source of information and support and I started cycling at (gulp) 149kg and am now riding strongly. The guys at the shop never commented on my weight and have been very patient in answering possibly dumb questions, kitting out my bike as I go further and longer. I am now a valued customer....their words, and that has helped to make me a committed cyclist. I even wear lycra - he he!

Good luck and enjoy.
  • melantie
    Options
    lol! you lot have made me crack up laughing

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Ok so sounds like i just need more air LOL

I was so scared i might pop my tyres haha. Husband did pump them up more, but obviously not enough.

I am so sore lol, i had to keep getting off and walking a little bit, its so much different than a gym bike hehe.

Thanks so much for all your advice and support, makes me feel HEAPS better knowing that there was heavier people riding and no one popped tyres hehe.