Hi

Options
Hello,

I'm looking for a buddy!

I am a 29 year old student. I work out often and eat relatively healthy, but using food as comfort that seems to be my trouble.

In my early 20's I weighed 235 pounds, but through serious lifestyle adjustments I managed to lose over a hundred pounds.

I maintained my weight-loss very well for over a year until my Dad passed away in the fall. I initially lost weight, and people were worried. Then I turned to food as my comfort as I did a decade ago and somehow woke up a couple of months later to my clothes no longer fitting properly and finding myself at the cupboard eating dates and raisins and crackers with peanut butter and honey every 20 minutes. Vicisous cycle those comforting carbs are! I put on probably 20 pounds of fat (lost my muscle mass because I stopped doing weight training).

So, I got myself back on the bandwagon, or so I thought... I started trying to limit my intake, but I felt deprived all the time. I recently realized it was because I was still stocking my cupboards with my comfy carbs instead of healthy ones like oats and quinoa and buckwheat.

I bought a few inspiring books - you are what you eat & detoxing for life - and after a week of remembering exaclty how and what I ate when I was maintaining my weight loss, I am starting to slim down marginally. It's harder than I remember! I am determined to get back to my healthy weight and prevent diseases like the cancer that killed my father.

I am about to go on a trip to Mexico for a couple of weeks and I'm a little nervous. I don't want to fall into the alcohol & fried food binge that I know can so easily happen at these resorts. I don't know if I'll have internet access, but if anyone has any tips on how to successfully navigate a buffet three times a day for two weeks, I'd appreciate your pointers.

Thanks,
L

Replies

• lisavvip
    lisavvip Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello,

I'm looking for a buddy!

I am a 29 year old student. I work out often and eat relatively healthy, but using food as comfort that seems to be my trouble.

In my early 20's I weighed 235 pounds, but through serious lifestyle adjustments I managed to lose over a hundred pounds.

I maintained my weight-loss very well for over a year until my Dad passed away in the fall. I initially lost weight, and people were worried. Then I turned to food as my comfort as I did a decade ago and somehow woke up a couple of months later to my clothes no longer fitting properly and finding myself at the cupboard eating dates and raisins and crackers with peanut butter and honey every 20 minutes. Vicisous cycle those comforting carbs are! I put on probably 20 pounds of fat (lost my muscle mass because I stopped doing weight training).

So, I got myself back on the bandwagon, or so I thought... I started trying to limit my intake, but I felt deprived all the time. I recently realized it was because I was still stocking my cupboards with my comfy carbs instead of healthy ones like oats and quinoa and buckwheat.

I bought a few inspiring books - you are what you eat & detoxing for life - and after a week of remembering exaclty how and what I ate when I was maintaining my weight loss, I am starting to slim down marginally. It's harder than I remember! I am determined to get back to my healthy weight and prevent diseases like the cancer that killed my father.

I am about to go on a trip to Mexico for a couple of weeks and I'm a little nervous. I don't want to fall into the alcohol & fried food binge that I know can so easily happen at these resorts. I don't know if I'll have internet access, but if anyone has any tips on how to successfully navigate a buffet three times a day for two weeks, I'd appreciate your pointers.

Thanks,
    L
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa!! Welcome to MFP

Today will be a slow day due to the holiday. If you bump this one tomorrow you will def get a better response!

As for your vacation. I have gone on 2 since starting my change of life (tee hee) on both occasions I was able to order salads, steamed or grilled fish or chicken, veggies and lots and lots of bottled water.

What I did was plan for a 'bad' meal. When I knew I was going to have a huge burger for lunch, with fries, cuz I Wanted to............I walked for an hour on the beach. If you dont go straight at the waters edge, but go up the sand, then back down to the water you burn a TON of calories!

So as it turned out I lost 2 pounds the week I was at the beach on vacation.

you are the master of your choices! You can DO this!:flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love it here. I :heart: this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.:smile::flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: