Are body toning classes enough?

Options
I am relatively new to exercising. I usually walk on the treadmill about 45 minutes to an hour a day and I have started taking body toning classes, kickboxing, step, kettle bell classes, etc., 2-3 days a week - some days 1 hour and some days 2. My question is in addition to the classes do I need to be working on the equipment out in the gym and doing more weight lifting or am I getting enough strength training in the classes?

Replies

• Ness8411
    Options
    Hopefully someone will reply. I'm only doing the classes Zumba, Step aerobics and partial weight.
  • jpfrimmer
    Options
    I'm not sure what the "correct" answer is but I can tell you my experience. When I first started a fitness program all I did was zumba and walk/run on the tredmill. I lost weight pretty fast doing that but then it stopped. I have now been lifting for 7 months or so and I can see a huge difference. I look much more defined and I've lost body fat and pounds. I did that lifting heavy, no toning classes. I asked a trainer about the toning classes and she said they're ok, but what I'm doing (lifting heavy) will get me much better results in less time. The classes are usually an hour long and I do 3 strength training sessions a week and they are between 30-45 minutes. I have heard a lot of people say that lifting heavy is the way to go. In classes they lift light weights for a longer amount of time. I don't know if I helped any, but that's just my experience. Good luck!
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any bodyworks class that have light weights but a lot of repetitions. If you are doing that you should not need the machines also. It also depends on what are your goals and what do you want out of your workouts.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The classes all vary. Sometimes they are light weight/high reps, sometimes the opposite. It just depends on who is teaching that day, that hour, or what they decide to do each day.
  • jenlee74
    Options
    I'm not sure what to tell you, but what I am doing is Pole Fitness for 2hrs - sometimes 3hrs, a week and incedental walking with work (i have to do mail and banking) I need motivation to do more! But with this I have noticed a great amount of change in my body, but not on the scales :cry:
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Depends on what the toning classes you are doing are...If it's actualy challenging your muscles, breaking them down so they can rebuild stronger then you're fine. Once I started doing body pump I started building muscle and have lost weight pretty easily...I never use the machines at the gym, just body pump classes and pushups at home.
  • ohpilot
    ohpilot Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on many different things

1) How heavy are the weights you use? I did a class today where we did a variation of deadlifts. The instructor told us to use "heavy weights" but some interpreted this as the 3lb dumbbell

2) Your instructor. Do they target different muscle groups or are they always doing the same thing?

3) How often you go.

That being said, I'm still assuming that lifting heavy will get better results faster. From personal experience, I do a lot of the same classes you were talking about and I always use the weight that's one step more than I'm comfortable with (if I don't hurt the next day, I'm not satisfied) and I get pretty decent results. I think toning classes are a fantastic alternative OR stepping stone to the intimidating gym weight rooms.
  • rsass92
    Options
    Hi,

I saw you post and thought that I would put in my own two cents. I am currently a member at 24 hour fitness and have been slowly but surely losing weight over the past year. It has been a bit of a struggle because first, all I was doing was cardio and only a little bit of weight training, and that was basically with the weight machines out on the floor of the gym. In the last 5 months though, I started doing LES MILLS BODY PUMP which is such an amazing work out. It involves doing multiple repetitions to a set rhythm of the music being played and the work out depends on you! Your choice of weights and how hard you want to push yourself is your work out. The class goes for 60 minutes and it is non stop! I have noticed my best results have happened since I started doing this class, I have dramatically toned my arms, legs, back and lifted/ tightened my booty in the process! Not to mention shed pounds! I feel amazing! And on the off days when body pump is not offered I do cycling, which is an excellent work out too!

My tip is to try what I do, do 25 minutes of cardio on a machine then after, join a weight training class, or do your own (but vigorously and well guided) one day, then the next day do cardio, an then repeat!
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Ok I've got to say this:

1. There is no such thing as "toning" it is a mythological term. You can either build muscle, maintain muscle, or destroy muscle.

2. When it comes to using weights: Light weight high reps is useless. No it only make you have longer muscles, no it won't make you burn fat faster.

2. If you are going to use weight, first learn form, then use heavy weight. It will not make you bulky, you have to use steroids to get bulky.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    Options
    Ok I've got to say this:

1. There is no such thing as "toning" it is a mythological term. You can either build muscle, maintain muscle, or destroy muscle.

2. When it comes to using weights: Light weight high reps is useless. No it only make you have longer muscles, no it won't make you burn fat faster.

2. If you are going to use weight, first learn form, then use heavy weight. It will not make you bulky, you have to use steroids to get bulky.
    THIS! Body "toning" is nothing more for most than muscular endurance training. You can and will get better results challenging the muscle with higher resistance for less reps then doing endless repetitions with light weight. Think about it, if light weights with high repetitions work so well, then cashiers at grocery stores who moderately diet with no exercise should have some really firm muscles from repetitiously moving canned foods, bottles of milk, and many packages 2lbs in weight for a couple of hours at a time.
    Don't fear heavy weights. Women like Jessica Biel and Allison Stokke lift heavy and have great conditioned bodies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Addisondisease and ninerbuff FTW!
    If you're purse weighs more than your Dom bells, you're doing it wrong!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Exactly!!

<--- no 5 lb dumbbells here
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Exactly!!

<--- no 5 lb dumbbells here

Don't lie! I saw you curling pink dumb bells the other day....oh wait, you were juggling them.