Any roller skaters.

Options
Quads or blades.

Iv'e got 25 years on quads. been on blades three times.

I usually skate a three hour session, twice a week.

I'm curious, how many calories it burns skating moderate to hard.

Replies

• driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I just bought some inline skates literally an hour ago! Was so much fun, haven't done it in years! Would love to find out too! MFP says a staggering 504 cal an hour! I'll wear my HRM later to see how accurate that is if no one else replies.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I used to be a jam skater! I miss it so much!

We have a couple rinks around here that have weekday times for the older people. I don't have my skates any more and really don't want to rent the rickety ones, but I am thinking about it. It's got to be a killer burn.
  • julesdec
    Options
    I do go, but only just re learned (quads) from my elementary days. I usually have to limit to an hour as my 5 yr old is so done by then, but there is a rollerskating option on the exersise data...don't know how accurate it is.
  • christinal83
    christinal83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Quads.

I am not surprised its around 500 calories for skating...I was so sore when I went last month!
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    diggin the roller derby thing lately SUCH fun to watch, had planned on joining a team!! but now with a broken toe wont be skating any time soon =(
  • If you go to livestrong.com you would probably find a answer specific do your body. I use this site and that one, good luck
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I looked at Quads today, but im to scared at this weight to fall.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Fatburn.com has a free exercise tool as well. Put your weight in and identify your activity. I find it to be more accurate than MFP estimates.
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used to be a jam skater! I miss it so much!

We have a couple rinks around here that have weekday times for the older people. I don't have my skates any more and really don't want to rent the rickety ones, but I am thinking about it. It's got to be a killer burn.

Older people, I resemble that remark, ha ha LOL. Just trikin. I love skating, dance and jam, ya an old guy like me jam skating. I put the i-pod in and go for it.

Your right it is a killer burn.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Well I am a roller derby girl, so quads all the way! ;)
    ...and my heart rate monitor clocks me at around 500 an hour for calories burned.
  • dport7
    Options
    Fatburn.com has a free exercise tool as well. Put your weight in and identify your activity. I find it to be more accurate than MFP estimates.

If you go to livestrong.com you would probably find a answer specific do your body. I use this site and that one, good luck

Thanks I'll try these.
  • OneSchrutebuck
    Options
    I do! I play roller derby so I use quads :). Love it and it's a great work out!
  • OneSchrutebuck
    Options
    ...and my heart rate monitor clocks me at around 500 an hour for calories burned.

Hey! Is the 500 for straight skating or at a derby practice? I've been trying to estimate how much I burn at a "normal" derby practice. Thanks!
  • sassyshook
    sassyshook Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Ooh MAN I love Quad skating!!! My son goes every weekend so I go with him at least one day a weekend. Let me tell u it's a chore to skate in a rink that is elbow to elbow tight and these kids don't mind pushing u out of their way. So I am a big girl so I warn them "u don't want me to fall, cause I will make u a pancake in the middle of this floor" I usually get some funky looks.

I don't know how many calories u would burn but I know when I skate I feel it all through my body.
  • Sianarella
    Options
    Derby chick here!

I love skating, I have so much to learn and try to get better balance.
  • dport7
    Options
    Ooh MAN I love Quad skating!!! My son goes every weekend so I go with him at least one day a weekend. Let me tell u it's a chore to skate in a rink that is elbow to elbow tight and these kids don't mind pushing u out of their way. So I am a big girl so I warn them "u don't want me to fall, cause I will make u a pancake in the middle of this floor" I usually get some funky looks.

I don't know how many calories u would burn but I know when I skate I feel it all through my body.

I started my daughter out when she was 4, she is now 27. We went for the Saturday noon to four matinée.
    There had to be 250 kids flying around the rink at any given time, it was a blast watching and skating with
    them, as it taught me to use the eyes in the back of my head LOL. A lot of good memories Thats the rink I skate at today.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Hey! Is the 500 for straight skating or at a derby practice? I've been trying to estimate how much I burn at a "normal" derby practice. Thanks!

That's just for straight skating during open skate and while avoiding kamikaze kids...lol. I haven't used my fitbit at derby practice yet, b/c it's expensive and I didn't want to break it!!!... But I'm sure the calorie burn is pretty high!!!
  • ShrinkingSusan
    ShrinkingSusan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Going tonight... to the same rink I skated in as a teenager. I am now almost 42 years young and have never lost my love for quad skating! I have never tried blades.

The calorie burn is awesome, but more importantly to me, it is just super fun!
  • rainbobrite929
    Options
    Don't laugh. I used to roller skate (quads) competitively. There is a FIERCE!! number of competition rinks out there!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I bought rollerblades last year but they've sat neglected while I had ankle surgery. I'm looking forward to breaking them ou this spring & summer!