Losing weight with Walking

Options
How many of you have lost weight by only walking outside or on a treadmill? How much weight lost? ( combined with watching calories) thanks

Replies

• ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have lost 34 lbs by sticking to 1200 calories and 20 to 30 minutes on my treadmill 5 times a week. I hurt my knee at one point and didnt do any exercise and still lost 1 1/2 lb a week.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    ME!!! Between five and six years ago, I lost right at 70 pounds by watching what I ate and walking. I really started to notice a weight loss when I purchased a treadmill and began walking......but that lead to shin spints, and eventually surgery to release a trapped nerve.
    I've kept most of the weight off, and in all honesty, I was probably too light at my lowest. I would like to lose about five pounds from where I am now, but truthfully, any time I am under 140, I'm a happy girl.
    I continue to walk, and aim for 100 miles a month at the minimum. Don't always make that in the winter, but I do in the summer, and sometimes walk as much as 10 miles a day in the summer.
    After I lost weight, a friend asked me how I did it....when I replied, "I walked my *kitten* off," he turned me around, and whispered in my ear, "Literally!" He died a few months later, and it is one of my favorite memories of him.
    Kaye
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I go to the mall and walk for an hour very early in the morning before the stores open. Climate controlled and I don't have to worry about being run over. I can't do more vigorous exercises anymore, so mall walking is ideal.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    I only started really running on the treadmill a few weeks ago. So I lost the majority of my weight just walking.

Mostly 100-120 minutes at 3mph
  • rumsuck8
    rumsuck8 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    "This time around" I've lost 16 lbs, diet and walking....currently using the Leslie Samsone Walk at Home DVD. Loving it...
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Me!... When I started MFP on New Years day, my ankle was in a cast, so all that I could do was walk outside on nice days... And I lost 25 pounds. :)
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i lost about 20 lbs by walking my dogs and watching what i ate over a 6 month period. i recently started running and lost another 10 lbs. i run and walk now and am getting quicker results.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I am!!!! 6 pounds so far!!! :happy:
  • TanyaCurtis
    Options
    That's all I every used to do, probably only a hr-hr and a half, 6 days a week. I was 125 lbs. then. And really u don't need to exercise to lose weight, the only reason people are over weight is because there eating to much. I know lots of tiny people who never workout, it cause they don't have a problem with food, and only eat when there hungry. Working out is just for toning up and feeling better about urself, and to boost weight loss if that's what ur wanting, cause muscle burns calories faster.
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump - great thread!
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Me too. I lost 90 lbs in 10 months. I'll admit it was pretty hardcore. I was walking between 25 - 50 miles a week. When I started I could only walk about 3 mph. At the end I was walking about 4.5 mph outside.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    25 pounds. You can do it.:happy:
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    walking was the first exercise i could stick with, and it's still my favorite. i do a lot of walking during spring / summer / autumn. i alternate with treadmill and exercise bike.

walking works well for both diet and maintenance. i would also recommend taking some form of camera with you; i've seen some real beauty on daily hikes.
  • shalomabeth
    shalomabeth Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 3 -5 times a week and the days im not at the gym i am walking and am gaining wait not losing it so its like im stuck
  • 60 lbs,it works,as long as you watch you food intake and keep it consistent,builds those legs muscles,tummy just disappers,as well,so many benefits