Losing weight but belly's getting bigger!

Options
Hey all,

I started Weight Watchers on Jan. 15, 2011, and have lost 61lbs so far. I started taking my measurements about 6-7 weeks into the program, and have seen my measurements decrease (my waist measurement had gone down by about 12 inches). But last time I measured (January 28th), my waist was almost 2 inches bigger. I wasn't bloated from PMS at that time, and I've tracked my sodium for several months, trying to always keep it below 1700mg/day, I drink lots of water everyday (only other beverage is my morning coffee), and I'm not using any hormonal birth control.

My next measurement day is Feb. 25th, and I don't know what I'll do if my waist isn't getting smaller, or worse, if it gets bigger! My belly just suddenly feels big ALL the time. The last time I felt like this, I decided to track my sodium intake and it was very high, so I reduced my sodium intake (by cutting most processed foods from my diet) and that bloated feeling went away... but now, I have no clue what's happening.

As for exercise, I walk 60 mins/day Mon, Wed, Fri, about 85 mins on Sat/Sun and I can usually squeeze in 60-85 mins on Tuesdays. For strength training I use dumbbells Tues, Thurs, and Sundays (currently doing Jackie Warner).

Has this happened to anyone? Advice?

Thank you!

Replies

• anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have days where my belly feels HUGE, but then days where I feel "skinny" at least compared to what I was..

The trend I've noticed is:

When I've been working out REALLY hard, or have done new exercises; I tend to retain water. It's quite noticeable in my ankle, knee, etc when this happens..So, I know when I feel like that those days it's due to water retention/swelling.

Also, that time of month, I always weigh like 3-4lbs more, and my pants fit tighter. All women are different, but for me, this always rings true.

Trying upping your water intake, and don't worry. If you are eating right (at any sort of deficit) and working out, your body/belly aren't gaining fat. It would have to do with other underlying cause..but FAT wouldn't be what it is.

Stay positive, and try not to worry too much about it :) Keep doing what you're doing! You've already seen such big losses in inches and lbs!