I want a flat stomach! Or at least Flatter!

Options
Ok I know that you need to eat clean to help get a flatter stomach but what can I eat to help and what exercises could help? I am really looking to loose my extra belly fat! Please help I will take suggestions I know I don't eat the best but I try to stay in calorie goals.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat clean to get a flat tummy, just need a consistent caloric deficit.

You cannot spot reduce so no exercises are going to target belly fat
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You are doing everything right! Just keep going and keep up your cardio and do those pesky crunches lol! Belly fat is usually the last to go. I lost 90 and still didn't have flat belly but my issue has to be resolved with surgery because I have had 3 pregnancies and a huge weight loss. It just doesn't bounce back sometimes on some women.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    What the others said, a good diet is key. I like to stay away from really starchy and fiberous foods when I am doing a cut, those foods make you bloated. Rather than eating breads and flours, I like to stick with healthy carbs like fruits and veggies like asparagus.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You need to lower your body fat %.

That's it. That's all you can do.

If you are following the plan and you are losing then just keep doing what you are doing.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Up your protein and lower your carbs. Cardio will help as well as different stomach exercises.

- Floor sweepers
    - Side bends
    - Leg Lifts
    - Basic crunches

Do 20 reps of each every other day and you will see a difference. However, like mentiioned above, you really can't "spot" train, so you have to focus on your entire body with a little extra effort in the tummy region.

Good luck!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat clean to get a flat tummy, just need a consistent caloric deficit.

Oh, I do hope this is true!
  • Otis08052005
    Otis08052005 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is a tough one! I've lost 59 lbs and everything is tightening up except for the stomach. The skin just isn't shrinking. Keep working to get theh body fat % down, but if you've had a pregnancy and lost a lot of weight like me, you might not ever get a six pack without a tummy tuck. Then again, maybe you will. I think being 45 is part of my issue. Skin loses elasticity.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I really have not been loosing much lately its been bouncing down then up and back down again if I could get rid of some of my belly I think I would look much better.
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but maybe you are consuming too many calories or MFP is not accurate on calories burned during exercise?? Go to www.healthstatus.com and see how their calorie calculators stack up. That site if very informative and it tells you how to calculate how many calories you need each day based on your weight, age, gender and height!!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Oh, I do hope this is true!

You cannot spot reduce, but some core work would firm up the muscles and make things look a bit tighter.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options

I am so glad you posted this. This is so true everyone thinks you do. I know several people that eat junk and have a 6pack and they worked for it!!!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    You have to lose the fat on top first. And like everyone said, you can't spot reduce. But some toning exercises you can do to improve the muscle tone there are sit ups (I often do mine with a 10lbs sand bag on my stomach for a little extra work), planks (LOVE planks), and push ups.

But even if you have rock hard abs of steel, if there's fat on top, you won't have a flat stomach. Just stick to healthy eating and burning calories, and you'll get there!
  • Annmarie49
    Options
    it's the toughest!!!

i have lost 72 pounds in total, do intensive cardio (600+calorific burn with a HRM) 5hrs/wk plus 2 abs classes & 2 core workout classes....

I am only just starting to see a difference now - i.e. that i notice (2 years on!!). every other part of my body is now toned/slim and a lot smaller, the 'belly fat' is the last to go, I am afraid..........

keep at it, I was struggling with this for a long time and became disheartened, I joined MFP 3 wks ago and have got my 'mojo' back, onwards & upwards... it does go eventually!!!!::ohwell: :flowerforyou:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

I'm going to semantically *wink* disagree with this.

If you lose muscle mass with your fat mass, you will not necessarily get a flat stomach. If you are skinny fat, you will not necessarily have a fat stomach. A consistent caloric deficit without watching muscle mass will not give you a flat stomach.

You need to decrease your body fat %. That means muscle mass either has to stay the same or increase.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. Unfortunately you can't really spot reduce fat. You have to lower your body fat. However, even if you have low body fat you can still not have a flat tummy if the muscles aren't toned and strong. Toning and strengthening the muscles will help to look a bit flatter but you'll still have the fat on top of the muscle until you lower you body fat.

Unfortunately our bodies tend to gain first in the tummy and lose last in that area... that is different for everyone though but that seems to be the main area that the body holds onto.
  • Pamje
    Pamje Posts: 3
    Options
    I have had six children and am 58 years old. For me a combination of Yogalates (which gives you a generally strong body) and swimming keeps it fairly well controlled. Only exercise will have an impact on a flabby tummy.
  • microwoman999
    Options
    Thanks I will for sure do those
    Up your protein and lower your carbs. Cardio will help as well as different stomach exercises.

- Floor sweepers
    - Side bends
    - Leg Lifts
    - Basic crunches

Do 20 reps of each every other day and you will see a difference. However, like mentiioned above, you really can't "spot" train, so you have to focus on your entire body with a little extra effort in the tummy region.

Good luck!
  • microwoman999
    Options
    Thanks everyone I hope I can see some results sooner than later :)