Sugar??

Options
I want to limit my sugar, but fruit has sugar in it. I guess my question is this...what is the difference between good sugar, like the sugar in fruit, and bad sugar?? Thanks in Advance

Side note....If you check my diary for the last few days you'll see that i'm a soda junkie. I'm trying VERY hard to break the soda addiction. Also..today was V. Day, and you know how that goes...lol...but my goal is to ultimately eliminate "bad" sugar from my diet all together.

Replies

• angraham2
    Options
    Go for the natural occuring sugars, and stay away from refined. On the soda issue, I switched from Coke to Coke Zero, and am doing fine. Seems to taste pretty close to the same without the diet aftertaste. I have cut back to one or two a week, only when I really need something bubbly/ Keep up the good work.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I want to limit my sugar, but fruit has sugar in it. I guess my question is this...what is the difference between good sugar, like the sugar in fruit, and bad sugar?? Thanks in Advance

Side note....If you check my diary for the last few days you'll see that i'm a soda junkie. I'm trying VERY hard to break the soda addiction. Also..today was V. Day, and you know how that goes...lol...but my goal is to ultimately eliminate "bad" sugar from my diet all together.
    Sugar is sugar. It's not bad for you unless you have some medical condition. Worry about hitting your calorie and macronutrient goals instead.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Sugar is sugar. It's not bad for you unless you have some medical condition. Worry about hitting your calorie and macronutrient goals instead.

Exactly this. The sugar itself is not any healthier if it comes in fruit vs chocolate
    I got 115g of sugar today. Like a boss.
  • seahorsewahine
    seahorsewahine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you find that sugar affects you....look into the glycemic index of the fruits you are eating. If it has a high glycemic index it can have a bigger impact on your blood sugar...and therefore fat production. And it is crazy which fruits are high and low.....cantelope, pineapple and watermelon are high glycemic... While apples, oranges and such are low.

Basically by sticking to the low glycemic fruits, vegetables, carbs, etc. you balance the flow of sugar into your system. That means that you don't get big spikes in insulin, and the resulting crashes....and the crashes are what makes you crave more carbs.

Good luck!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I try and do low carb, but I still have my piece of chocolate at the end of the day...
    I'd look into glycemic index and what to eat with your sugar to slow down how fast it goes into your bloodstream...

For me, cutting all carbs (ok except vegetable ones) for a week really eradicated the craving for sweets. I mean, yes, toblerone is tastey, but I don't NEED to eat it all, right now, as fast as I can....
  • seahorsewahine
    seahorsewahine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I mean, yes, toblerone is tastey, but I don't NEED to eat it all, right now, as fast as I can....

hahahahahahahaha! so true! Were you spying on me??
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Yes, sugar is sugar. The difference is - in fruit form the fiber slows the uptake of sugar in the blood. The fiber is filling and the fruit has other nutrients in it. So unless you have a medical problem with sugar, ie diabetes, etc. Eat fruit, if you want sweetener, honey is the only naturally occuring sugar, the rest are refined.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

I got 115g of sugar today. Like a boss.

Cause you rock!!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Don't eliminate, moderate. Trying to eliminate foods from your diet is the quickest way to failure. It's better if you learn to slow things down and make sure you can 'afford' them. The sugars in fruit aren't as big a deal because there are other things in there that have already been talked about. Refined sugars should be avoided and so cutting back your soda intake is a very good idea, but that isn't to say you can't enjoy one every now and then. Just cut it back to maybe one or two a day, then one or two a week, and then only on occasion. Makes it much easier to ween than to go cold turkey.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Have your sugar with some fiber, and it lessens the impact on blood sugar levels.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I mean, yes, toblerone is tastey, but I don't NEED to eat it all, right now, as fast as I can....

Lol of course ;)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

Lol of course ;)

Did. you. say. TOBLERONE!?!?!?! :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • parksam6
    Options
    I have issues with sugar too, and recently learned that i am prediabetic. While they say "sugar is sugar", different sugars affect your "glycmic index" differently. I have found that any added sugar is really my problem. So i am trying not to eat anything processed with ADDED sugar. You dont need any of it, period. I dont count natural sugars like in fruit, veg and milk. I did find that i do like stevia, which does not make your insulin spike (artificial sweetners do not make your blood sugar go up, but your body thinks it is sugar so your insulin goes up, with makes your blood sugar get lower, which makes you hungry, which makes y ou reach for more sugary food....) and i found that i have already lost a few pounds after doing it this way for almost 2 weeks. I am encouraged how simple it really is.

So dont cut out fruit. Your body does need those natural complex carbs, it does not need those super simple processed sugars. Did you even know pasturized honey is a processed sugar? I hope you find a routine that will work with you. If you have a hard time, just forgive and try again the next day. It will get easier. :) if you are finding you withdrawl, do try to have less and less at a time. Good luck. :)
  • parksam6
    Options
    Oh and yah, if you findy ou are diabetic, do what our diabetic friend recommend :)
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Yes, sugar is sugar. The difference is - in fruit form the fiber slows the uptake of sugar in the blood. The fiber is filling and the fruit has other nutrients in it. So unless you have a medical problem with sugar, ie diabetes, etc. Eat fruit, if you want sweetener, honey is the only naturally occuring sugar, the rest are refined.
    Right on Girl. Sugar may be sugar, but it is better to get it in the form of fruit than in the refined form or in overly processed foods. Fruits have nutritional value such as fiber,vitamins,antioxidants....um last time I checked candy,cookies,cakes and cokes had NONE of those. Just saying.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Don't over do fruit, but to help wean off other sugary, sure use fruit. Then over time cut it out to seldom and use fruit as a treat or when you genuinely need sugar.