what does net mean?

Options
Hi, it has NET on my home page but l do not know what it means. As it does say NET -570. Can someone help me with this one please.

Replies

• brh2262
    Options
    Net is food calories minus exercise calories.
  • gwmedicgod
    gwmedicgod Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    it's your net number of calories.. after you log all your food for the day and subtracting any exercise calories burned.. if it's in red you was over ..if it's in green you were under your goal
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Yipes! -570??? You need that number to be at least 1200 at the end of the day otherwise you risk stagnating your weight loss by decreasing your lean body mass and therefore your ability to metabolize food. Even if you do continue to lose, it will be mostly muscle leaving you skinny-fat. Eat back your exercise calories because MFP has already figured your calorie deficit for the day and to be negative is just plain dangerous!
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    thanks hiker, but that is all l can eat in a day and have been for the last 5 weeks eating like this. I do a lot of weights as well everyday. So still trying to understand all of this now. Thanks for the big help.
  • charlesb22
    charlesb22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    it's like salary: gross salary (calories) is the total amount you are paid (consume!), then your tax (exercise) is subtracted and finally you end up with a net amount!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    It's the Total Food That You've Eaten for the Day - Exercise Calories for the Day = Net.

However, I don't go by that net number during the day because I never know what my total calories will be until I sign out for the day.

What I do is make sure I don't fall far below my minimum 1200 calories on non-exercise days and eat some or most of my exercise calories on exercise days.

I like to leave about 90-100 calories deficit on exercise days but as close to 1200 as possible on non-exercise days (as I said).

It seems to work for me.