How can my weight fluctuate everyday??? Am ditching the scal

Options
2»

Replies

• iwannablean
    iwannablean Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I lost 2kgs from going to sleep to waking up this morning. Don't worry to much about weight fluctuations. Record the weight once a week first thing in the morning

Hahaha! I get it now!
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i ditched my scales i was to focused on number.
    after doing turbofire i know realise scales arnt number 1.

i only lost 6lb in 6wk yet i lost 21.5"

so for me scales mean very little these days :)
  • iwannablean
    Options
    The best time to weigh in is in the morning, nekkid! Weight is always going to fluctuate, and everyone else have given great reasons for the fluctuations!
    If you find yourself obsessing over the scale (like I do!) I recommend just weighing in once a week. I try to eat dinner earlier the night before, have had enough water, not too much sodium.
    You should try taking measurements! Be really thorough, do your neck, arms, chest, waist, hips, thighs, calves. It's amazing how the scale won't budge but the tape measure does.
    Good luck! Don't get discouraged, I'm sure you're doing just fine!

Will do it first thing tomorrow! Take my measurements I mean! Thanks!
  • iwannablean
    Options
    Only ditch the scale if it is keeping you from feeling motivation (obviously, it is). But definitely talk with your doctor. He/she will be able to explain your medications and potential side-effects and might even be able to provide insightful information about good/bad exercises for your fibromyalgia. Your personal trainer will know some things about nutrition and physiology but he/she is not qualified to explain (no matter how well-intentioned or reasonable the explanation) your medications and health, apart from cardiovascular and strength exercise. A family member of mine has a health condition which was worsened with exercises recommended by a personal trainer, so just make sure you speak to the right person first.

Back to the scale - I try to weigh myself every day but often forget. It is a reminder for me to drink water or cut back on sugars/sodium. If I find I have gained 1kg overnight, I consider everything I had the day before. It is likely that I either (a) ate too many starches, sugars, or too much sodium, or (b) was so dehydrated that I retained water. Typically my weight returns to normal by evening or the next day.

Water weight will make you retain inches, by the way, so that might explain some of your trouble with sizes. Just to put things in perspective, I am 65 inches (1.65 meters) tall and currently weigh 55.3 kg. When a certain lady pays her visit during the month, she brings a hefty 2.2-3.2 kg with her. That makes a huge impact on my clothing sizes - the weight goes to my bum and thighs. Sometimes when I overdo it on the Friday night pizza and candy, I will find I have gained 1.5-2.5 kg the next day. I have lost 0.5 kg since yesterday simply by taking a 3.5 km run. So, it is not all a loss (pardon the expression) if you find your weight is up and down :wink:

:):) Thanks a lot!
  • iwannablean
    Options
    You look great! I did want to bring forward a myth so many believe. Muscle does not 'weigh' more then fat, A pound is a pound is a pound. A pound of feathers weigh the same as a pound of water. What is truth, the heavier object (the muscle or water) are less dense taking up less room. So, a pound of muscle is smaller then a pound of fat. :)

I know what you mean.. Am thick with all this in spite of studying human physiology at college! Thanx a ton! :)
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    The best thing that has ever happened to me was the day my electronic scales broke! Now I weight in once a week, same time, same clothes with a group! Some awesome scales in pharmacies that will give you print out for small fee. Try it that way and keep pinning up weekly results on your fridge! :wink:
  • iwannablean
    Options
    Phew! Thanks a lot, everyone! Am getting a measuring tape on my way home from work and will record my measurements first thing tommorow morning, and will keep tracking that to see how am doing. Now I know fluctuations happen and for many reasons! So, I won't panic and hate the scale... :)
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You look great! I did want to bring forward a myth so many believe. Muscle does not 'weigh' more then fat, A pound is a pound is a pound. A pound of feathers weigh the same as a pound of water. What is truth, the heavier object (the muscle or water) are less dense taking up less room. So, a pound of muscle is smaller then a pound of fat. :)

My exact thoughts!
    I'm bad about getting on the scale, also. I was doing it every day. I can fluctuate 5 pounds up OR down in one day. So I have vowed to weigh myself once a week Monday am around 7 naked so I can be more consistent.
  • sco8462
    Options
    This week my scale has told me that I've gained SEVEN pounds! How the hell is that even possible when eating under 1200 every single day! I thought I was being strong only weighing once a week (I get obsessed otherwise) but now I'm thinking of ditching the scales completely - it's just too depressing :cry:

Are you sure your body isn't retaining fat because its in starvation mode? How under 1200?

Mostly, I agree with Fuzz. The scale can say I haven't lost a thing and I could (usually) care less. Am I in a smaller pant size? Then we have success. My goals aren't numbers, they are things like "get into these pants". I care about the number just because I have so much to lose. Its a way right now of motivating.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This week my scale has told me that I've gained SEVEN pounds! How the hell is that even possible when eating under 1200 every single day! I thought I was being strong only weighing once a week (I get obsessed otherwise) but now I'm thinking of ditching the scales completely - it's just too depressing :cry:

Are you sure your body isn't retaining fat because its in starvation mode? How under 1200?

You may be right (900-1000 most days - sometimes less) yet I keep reading threads/posts on MFP that state starvation mode is a myth, so who knows what to believe.
    I do feel, however, that if it comes down to the scientifically simple 'energy in v evergy out' then it seems very very unfair that you can eat 'right' & exercise yet not see the results!
  • iwannablean
    Options

You may be right (900-1000 most days - sometimes less) yet I keep reading threads/posts on MFP that state starvation mode is a myth, so who knows what to believe.
    I do feel, however, that if it comes down to the scientifically simple 'energy in v evergy out' then it seems very very unfair that you can eat 'right' & exercise yet not see the results!

Oh! I don't think starvation mode is a myth! It makes sense! Read up a bit on human physiology and you can be sure... I studied biochemistry at college, and my professor used to tell us all that our body reacts to shock in specific ways.. So, it makes sense that if we suddenly give less cals to our system it might start saving it all up as fat thinking that we our starving ourselves. Many nutritionists these days propagate the idea of eating right, 5 to 6 times a day, in small proportions, working out, and losing weight. So putting it all together, the starvation mode thing should be true. Knowing all this, am not doing things right coz I just don't find the time to plan my meals properly!! So yeah, be careful.. I know how you feel.. Its so easy to put on weight.. but so very difficult to be patient to lose all the fat that we have accumulated! That's why we need to be here and keep motivating each other I guess... to stick on to the healthy ways of losing weight, very very patiently :) So best luck to you! God bless!