Will walking make a difference?

Options

Replies

• RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I walk because I don't want to do any other exercise at the moment. I know running/going to a gym etc would be more beneficial, but walking does still count.
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I walk, because he first time I tried jogging I collapsed after 50 metres. Literally. Some people just really ARE that unfit. Running and jogging definitely are a better workout, and I'm slowly but surely building myself up to that.

On one season of the Biggest Loser (Australia) one of the contestants sprained his ankle and could only walk for that week. Doctor's orders. Next weigh in, he had lost the biggest weight percentage for that week. So yes, it does deliver results.

Sorry, meant to say "weight LOSS percentage".
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Depends what the goal is, what their current state of health is, etc. Walking burns calories, but will not improve fitness. From a pure weight-loss point of view, walking is a good, low impact source of exercise, but if improved fitness is also a goal, then running would, of course, be better. But it's not something that can just be launched into, hence the various "couch to 5k" programmes that are available.
    To clarify, walking, or any exercise, will improve your fitness if you do it at a level that challenges you. If you're completely sedentary and start taking regular slow strolls round the block, that will improve your fitness. If you hike regularly but add hills to your route, that will improve your fitness. If, like me, you do a brisk walk at lunchtime but try to go a little further each week by speeding up a bit, that will improve your fitness.

Even though I run, walking still adds measurable fitness gains in stamina and means I can exercise more days of the week as I do it on my "active rest" days. I certainly work up more of a sweat doing a very fast walk than I do on one of my slow recovery jogs!
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    SIGHT IMPAIRED...

PROVEN FACT...WALKING BY FAR IS THE BEST EXERCISE FOR THE ENTIRE BODY....IT'S A HAPPENING!:flowerforyou:

KEY WORDS WERE THE "ENTIRE BODY".
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    For primary fat loss, a good resistance schedule and moderate cardio is necessary.
    You only need to really burn around 300 cals a session at least 3 times a week to make it work.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    I think it all depends on the person and what they feel comfortable doing. Perhaps they can't run for some reason (asthma?), Or they just don't like running? Running may burn more calories, but it's really all about that person. If they feel they have to run then they may just give up and not do anything, at least with walking they are doing something, and burning more calories then the person sitting on the couch.

This.

I run every now and then, but if I run too much it triggers my asthma. I run maybe twice a week and I walk (pretty fast tho) almost every day 4 miles to work and back. Just yesterday I ran 7 miles and burned 670 kcal and when I walked 10 miles today I burned 725 kcal (tracked w/ heart rate monitor). It all depends on your speed, stamina and your heart rate and even the weather (walking in snow/wind is extremely effective).

Running may be more effective than walking, then again, so are for example Zumba and Kickboxing. If your body is used to sitting on the couch all day, any cardio exercise will make difference. You gotta start somewhere.
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My friend lost 5.5 stone since August and although she watches her food a lot, she claims the continuing weightloss is because she makes herself walk everywhere in stead of driving, thus generally walking about 6 miles per day taking kids to school, going shopping (lifting heavy bags when returning from the shops). She doesn't do any other exercise.

It definetly does burn calories, but it may not tone you up in all the right places the way other exersices do, though, so it depends what you want to get out of it.

Since I started on MFP I find myself walking my daughter to school when time allows it, in stead of driving, and I walk to the local shop, in stead of drive there. I also started parking in a car park further from work than before and make sure I run up to the office in the 3rd floor in stead of taking the lift. I simlpy wouldn't do that additional exercise if it wasn't for the knowledge that I burn calories with it. It all helps...
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    When I was 309 lbs I would burn around 450 calories walking for 30 minutes...... eventually I walked faster and faster for longer and longer until I was able to run. My point is when you are very heavy walking is the best and only thing you can do!!t
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    I began exercising 2 weeks ago and all I do is walk (on the treadmill). It is brisk walking though (3.5 mph) and I set the incline to at least 70%. Most of the time it's on 100% incline. I do 30 minutes and by the time I'm done, I'm so sweaty that my clothes stick to me. I do this 4 - 5 times a week, and already my legs and abs look and feel different. I can't run for longer than 3 minutes because I have cardiovascular issues and it gives me headaches, so walking works for me. I also enjoy it which I think is important to keep me doing it. Do whatever you enjoy/works for you. Walking is great and ANY type of activity burns calories. Sure, some burn more than others, but if you can sustain a walk longer than a run, then just do that. Best of luck x
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    Walking DOES make a difference!! I wear a pedometer to track the calories burned, and when I log it I estimate the "time" walked (example-if I burned 300 calories and walked 5 miles, I'll estimate the time so that MFP counts the total calories burned) I broke my foot last spring & couldn't work out for almost 3 months, but I did walk alot (I'm a retail mgr) and was able to continue to lose weight, more slowly than when I was working out more hard-core.

I hope this makes sense and helps! :happy:
  • NomiS6
    NomiS6 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    An hour walk is better than a hour sitting in front of the TV,
    PLUS my 2 Labradors love there walks and are also looking better for it
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that the best thing for your heart is to be walking or at least upright for 8 hours a day. For people who spend most of their lives sitting, actually, doing 45 mins of intense exercise a day isn't really that beneficial. It is far better for you to be constantly active, than mostly sedentary with occasional bursts of activity.
  • xginanax
    xginanax Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • JaneMills0
    JaneMills0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Me - I just like walking. And as far as I am concerned a calorie burned is a calorie burned. How you burn it is down to personal choice, what you enjoy and what you are aiming to do - if you want a toned body lift weights. If you want to lose weight burn calories.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It's not about intensity. I say an hour of walking is better than 20 minutes of jogging. :/ I do enjoy jogging occasionally, but for the most part I prefer walking just because it's more pleasant.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I walk because I'm pretty heavy, still - I am planning to incorporate running once I get to 220 or so, but I don't want to get shin splints or irritate my knees (have pre-exisiting meniscus problems).

I walk - I try for an hour a day, plus some kind of video or game that's HIGH intensity for another 20-30 minutes. It's all moving more, so it all helps. Actually, according to my Body MediaFit, I burn more during 30 minutes of brisk walking than I do doing Ripped in 30. But I'm also quite heavy, so maybe that's why.
  • _Ren
    _Ren Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do speed walking at work. It gets the heart moving. It has made a difference for me, I can walk longer and my butt is firmer.
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    I can no longer run because I pee if I do! :laugh:
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    I enjoy walking. Its relaxing, calming, allowing me to think. Running I hate, and Im more to stick with walking then running for a good cardio exercise.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The National Weight Control Registry tracks people who lose and keep off their weight. Most people in the registry walk for their exercise.

Walking is not the easy way out. Depending on your age and health issues (I have knee injuries dating to my early teen years), walking can be a great form of exercise.

I've played many sports, have done the 4-5 days a week at the gym with free weights, machines, cardio, etc.

Walking is free, you never have to plan it, you can just do it.

I sometimes walk stairs, climb hills, etc. You can actually do interval training while walking.