Pole dancers!

Options
2»

Replies

• letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    do you have to be a teeny weeny to do pole dancing? would 180 be too heavy to try it? (5"6" height)

no...I'm 5'4" and 165lbs. It'll build confidence, a stronger core and upper body...do it!
  • tracylee679
    tracylee679 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go to classes, unless you want to. If you look into ordering at FlirtyGirlFitness.com. They have DVDs & poles you can order & workout right at home. Plus, if you wanted they also have instuctor training, so you can start your own classes. Just a little FYI. Have fun!!! :wink:

Do you actually have the pole and DVD's. I was wondering if they are worth the cost! This always appealed to me, but there isn't anywhere close to where I live that has these classes. Thanks!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Question ladies!

What do you record your workout under? I just started back up on MFP and did a Floor/Chair class last week. I had no idea what to put it under so I picked "Dance." Is there something else more appropriate?
  • rsbrace
    Options
    I just started a pole dance class. It is just 1x/week right now. Its so fun that you dont realize you are working out. I am excited to see how it works into my weekly workout routine. :)
  • muroo
    muroo Posts: 68
    Options
    I randomly found this thread through Google* and just HAD to join the site to chime in. :-)

I took a few classes about 2 years ago. Shortly after (just 3 classes!) I decided a pole was going to be the greatest investment since after class I was sooo motivated to try out new spin moves and climbs and waiting until next week wasn't enough. (And I didn't feel like I'd get any better.) My 2nd and 3rd class just destroyed me in the good way, and I hadn't felt so satisfyingly sore in a long time.

Fast forward to now, and I haven't been to any classes since. But wait! This story isn't meant to discourage! =P A month ago, I finally cleared the floor around the pole and started back up. I stopped originally partially due to injury from trying too much new stuff too fast and I vowed to do it right this time. I mostly check out videos on youtube (if you check out emotioncatcher's channel, that's an example of a good free resource) and do strength work.

Even before I "officially" started back up recently, I would still do the occasional short freestyle at odd hours or attempt a pole climb once a month or something, haha.

I've always been more of a strength person than a cardio person, and that's what I love about pole fitness. But there's something in it for everyone.

Usually the first level is all floor work, and to me it's ALL about feeling good about yourself. Combine it with a lot of flexibility work, sassy strutting, pirouettes, hair flips, strength exercises and it's just one of the most fun workouts I've ever had. You definitely get sweaty!

But if you're a stubborn person like me, you go next to a slightly higher level, with spins off of the ground. I mean, these classes are expensive, right? I can do normal dancing in my bedroom. =P But spins? That was tough enough for me! Could barely move my arms the next day.

I even in my third class went to a higher level -- it was one of the only classes to fit in my schedule and it was my favorite instructor. I asked ahead and they said it'd be fine. We did some climbs and inverts...that was when I got hooked. :-) Even if there was a delay.

Anyway, myfitnesspal n00b here ranting way too long. Just very much an advocate of pole. I will say that you should take a live class at least a few times to get some techniques down. You definitely don't want to attempt your first inversion without a spotter at least. My gym used to offer a webcast lesson where you could set up your webcam to get live instructor feedback too. You take from it what you want and there's infinite things to learn or improve on. And the act of learning new things really keeps you motivated. The only other exercise I've consistently done is taekwondo, since there's always another form to learn (or make up). Try it! But correctly! Don't get wrist injuries like I did! :-)

And I agree with what's been said about weight. One of the great things is that it really is for all body types. I've even been in classes with pregnant women...like, very clearly showing ones. (No, I don't realllly know if that's safe, but hey, it was done.)

* As of late since I've fallen off the fitness wagon for about 3 months, going to the gym frustrates me since I can't do what I used to. I was Google searching "pole dancing doesn't make me stronger" since I was feeling kind of bummed about how I'm not back to my old (mediocre =P) fitness level. It was just one of those random google searches when you're just randomly internet surfing your feelings (is that weird?).