Any single moms struggling to finding time to exercise?

Options
I am a single mom with a 2 1/2 year old and a full-time job, and I'm looking for ways to fit exercise into the mix. My day ends at about 9 pm, once my daughter is in bed, I've cleaned up and prepared my lunch and clothes for the next morning. By that time, I am exhausted. I know I have to find the energy to either workout after she has gone to bed, or in the morning before going to work. Just looking for other mothers in the same situation who can share their story and fitness routine. It will motivate me to know that others are doing it too, with more on their plate than me!

Replies

• ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    im not a mum, but i work two jobs n sometimes work 90 hours a week lol
    find it hard sometimes to wash my hair never mind get to the gym LOL

although one of my jobs is in a busy restaurant/pub so am usually running about like a headless chicken carrying plates pulling pints etc..... could you call this a workout? lol xx
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am not currently a single mom, but I was for four years, so I know how hard it is to find time to exercise! My daughter's father was never involved, so I didn't have times where she would go with her dad, it was me 24/7. What I found worked best for me was getting up early in the morning, before she woke and before I had to get ready for work. For me, that translated to 4am....early, but honestly once you get used to it, it isn't that bad. I started to enjoy that peaceful, quiet, "me" time before starting the mad rush of the day. I would work out to dvds, and developed a strength training routine using free weights. I would also walk on my lunch hour at work. I know it's hard, but you can do it! Good luck.
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am not currently a single mom, but I was for four years, so I know how hard it is to find time to exercise! My daughter's father was never involved, so I didn't have times where she would go with her dad, it was me 24/7. What I found worked best for me was getting up early in the morning, before she woke and before I had to get ready for work. For me, that translated to 4am....early, but honestly once you get used to it, it isn't that bad. I started to enjoy that peaceful, quiet, "me" time before starting the mad rush of the day. I would work out to dvds, and developed a strength training routine using free weights. I would also walk on my lunch hour at work. I know it's hard, but you can do it! Good luck.

Yes, her father is not very involved either, so that makes it even harder. Thanks for the encouragement. I need to get healthy to set a good example for my daughter. I don't want her to have all of the food issues I've struggled with my whole life. And yes, my best bet is to do it in the morning. It's a great way to start the day!
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    im not a mum, but i work two jobs n sometimes work 90 hours a week lol
    find it hard sometimes to wash my hair never mind get to the gym LOL

although one of my jobs is in a busy restaurant/pub so am usually running about like a headless chicken carrying plates pulling pints etc..... could you call this a workout? lol xx

Yes, I would definitely call that a workout! I guess we all struggle with finding the time to workout!
  • melissa80216
    Options
    Not a single mom but a mom of 3. Before my schedule changed from 9-6 I worked out early in the morning. Now my schedule is 6-230. I travel by bus so by the time I get home it's around 330 or 4. It's hard to balance life to include exercise but take baby steps. Morning sounds like it will work best for you and it sure does make the day go better at least it did for me.
  • Jessie_Dawn
    Options
    I'm a single mom of 2 children (4 and 21 months) and I never feel like exercising... I'm too tired by the time I get to the end of the day, and sleep is precious, so who wants to get up at 4 am!?! :laugh: My kids have different fathers, my 4 year old's father has never been around (since I was pregnant, loser :grumble: ) and my 21 month old's father passed away in Sept, so It's just me, my 40 (+sometimes) hours at work, and the kids.... And now my 4yo wants a puppy! LOL

I try to walk on my lunch break at work... It's only 30 minutes, but It's something! :wink:

Good luck and if you happen to find more ways to sneak in some exercise time, please share!!!