Vegetarians/Vegans -- lotion???

Options
rml_16
rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
I am having a hell of a time finding a lotion that's veg friendly AND affordable. What does everyone use that easy to find and doesn't cost a fortune?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    try a local organic store..like earth fare, whole foods etc
  • rml_16
    Options
    try a local organic store..like earth fare, whole foods etc

Yeah ... pricey pricey. I need AFFORABLE.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I checked my lotion and the instructions say, "It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it is told."

Does that make it vegan friendly?
  • rml_16
    Options
    I checked my lotion and the instructions say, "It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it is told."

:grumble:

;-)
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Actually, I believe it is "It rubs the lotion in it's skin, or else it gets the hose again." Jesus!
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

Actually, I believe it is "It rubs the lotion in it's skin, or else it gets the hose again." Jesus!
    Both are quotes from the movie.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    If you don't mind feeling a little oily, cheap olive oil or coconut oil (if you can find it on sale). Also, sometimes you can get Alba at Target which is less expensive than getting it someplace else, although now that I look I see it's labeled "vegetarian" not "vegan." :| Finally, some local health food stores and coops have lotion in bulk, it's much less expensive than buying it in a bottle.
  • Bentley2718
    Options

Both are quotes from the movie.

I stand corrected!
  • frygirl01
    frygirl01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Johnson and Johnson makes a "natural care" baby lotion that is made without any animal biproducts. It's in a sort of greenish colored bottle. It's affordable. Also, St. Ives Oatmeal and Shea butter lotion says it's not tested on animals and does not contain animal ingredients. They are both $3 or $4 at Walmart.
  • Great prices....wonderful products with great ingredients.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/rainwaterbotanicals
  • rml_16
    Options
    If you don't mind feeling a little oily, cheap olive oil or coconut oil (if you can find it on sale). Also, sometimes you can get Alba at Target which is less expensive than getting it someplace else, although now that I look I see it's labeled "vegetarian" not "vegan." :| Finally, some local health food stores and coops have lotion in bulk, it's much less expensive than buying it in a bottle.

Thank you! Our co-op doesn't carry it in bulk and it's pricey there. But the oil is a good idea. I'm OK if it's vegetarian but not vegan. I still do dairy and eggs, so I'm OK with animal products so long as no animal died for it. :-)

It's hard to tell with some lotions because they list "glycerin," but not whether it's plant or animal-based. So I just don't know for sure.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Also thank you to Frygirl and IntoMySkin!

Now I have to look at those and hope the smell doesn't make me nauseous. lol Morning sickness 18 years ago still haunts me. I really appreciate the suggestions and I think I got what I need!
  • anastasiawildflower
    Options
    St. Ives has a couple products. None of their products are tested on animals and the ones that are vegan are clearly labeled with "No Animal-Derived Ingredients • Not tested on animals • Made with natural ingredients"

I really love their products, especially when the label is clear.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Thanks, Ana. Just got home from Target and I looked more closely at the St. Ives and realized most of their lotions are safe. I found one I like and am a happy camper. :-)
  • kimrivercity
    Options
    Hi, I just joined this site and saw your post. I also need inexpensive options. Since our skin soaks everything into our body, and maybe bloodstream, I now only use raw, organic coconut oil and organic olive oil on my skin and face. I step out of the shower wet and apply the olive oil. Then I pat dry. I use it on my lips, too. If I put it on dry skin, I mist my skin with a safe rosewater mist. And the coconut oil can be put on dry skin and face and it soaks dry, not greasy. And neither sting like lotions can when I've rubbed my eyes or nose raw from sneezing, etc. I buy organic to avoid the pesticides in this product, which can harm our bodies greatly.

I buy a $9 wine bottle size organic olive oil that lasts a LOT longer than lotion. I pour some in a small container that I leave in my bathroom and one in the kitchen.

This site gives helpful info on many products safety: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/browse/moisturizer/
  • rml_16
    Options
    Thanks. But the smell of either of those would make me sick to my stomach. I've been using the St. Ives with great results.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    TOTALLY!!!!
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    St. Ive's is affordable and vegan friendly as far as ingredients go... but since they've been bought out by Unilever they are no longer cruelty free, so it depends on your ethical stance.

A few other names that come to mind that are a little more expensive than St. Ive's but available at most grocery/pharmacies/big box stores are Alba Botanicals, Yes to Carrots, Kiss My Face, JASON, Tree Hut... they are kind of "mid range" as far as natural/organic products go, so probably like $6-$8 for lotion but a little tends to go a long way.

ETA: just realized this is a frankenthread. feel free to disregard my reply if it is no longer relevant :)
  • rml_16
    Options
    St. Ive's is affordable and vegan friendly as far as ingredients go... but since they've been bought out by Unilever they are no longer cruelty free, so it depends on your ethical stance.

A few other names that come to mind that are a little more expensive than St. Ive's but available at most grocery/pharmacies/big box stores are Alba Botanicals, Yes to Carrots, Kiss My Face, JASON, Tree Hut... they are kind of "mid range" as far as natural/organic products go, so probably like $6-$8 for lotion but a little tends to go a long way.

ETA: just realized this is a frankenthread. feel free to disregard my reply if it is no longer relevant :)
    It was actually helpful. At the time I posted, St. Ives bottles claimed no animal testing and I never double checked that was still the case.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Is there a Sprouts in your area?
    They have a big selection, and some are really natural, veg, and not expensive.
    Also Vitamin Shoppe.
    Soap.com?

Ha! Resurrected thread.