The 10 Worst “Healthy” Foods in America

Options
DanOhh
DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
Many popular restaurants willfully exploit the health halo, leading us to order healthy sounding dishes that pack insane amounts of calories, saturated fat, and sodium. Want proof? The links (by Eat This, Not That!) have ten wannabe health foods that are worse for you than, say, a 930-calorie Wendy’s Double Baconator

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/10-worst-healthy-foods-america?cm_mmc=ETNTNL-_-807048-_-02152012-_-hed

or shortened version

http://bit.ly/xlrCUz

Good luck and make good decisions!
DanOhh

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    What I find funny is how anyone could look at that food and think it is healthy, except maybe the salad and fish dish could be seen as healthy.
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This is good food for thought, so to speak.

I have been wondering about a lot of restaurant options that are touted now as low calorie or heart healthy. I am only 6 weeks into my new lifestyle of eating healthfully and working out daily, and I was at IHOP the other day for my son's birthday meal, with my family, and was stressed out about what I could possibly order that would fit within my calorie goal... I chose a Simple & Fit Veggie Omelet With Fresh Fruit. It was made with egg substitute and supposedly has only 320 calories. What surprised me was how good it was. However, then I immediately wondere if it was really only 320 calories! I mean, what if they aren't really cooking it the way they are supposed to? The veggies tasted a little oily (VERY TASTY) and I started to worry if it wasn't really as low in calories as I thought.
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the list you posted and yeah, those foods look awful. Except for maybe the fajitas (without the tortillas) I wouldn't have fallen prey to any of them.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I have noticed, everytime I see something about the worst foods, They are more of a advertisement for the "eat this not that books". When I clicked on the site that was posted they had 10 books lined up on the side. Just saying.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I have noticed, everytime I see something about the worst foods, They are more of a advertisement for the "eat this not that books". When I clicked on the site that was posted they had 10 books lined up on the side. Just saying.

That's because they're trying to sell their books and make some money?
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I will read the list you posted later but just wanted to add my thoughts.

My husband and I went out to a movie (won tickets) & hibachi yesterday (V Day with a coupon) for the first time in 2 yrs since both of our health issues started - his stroke / paralysis and my respiratory failure. I have cooked everyday (unless I was in the hospital which has been approx 7 times) and also bcuz of our financial decline as neither of us can work. I do not trust any resturant food as it is loaded with stuff to make it taste so good and the portions are enough to take home for another meal. We both get blood work very often and our nbrs have steadily gotten better which is amazing. Home cooked meals are healthier, less expensive and leaves more time for family. With the economic status these days everyone should try to spend more time home and less time spending money on calories that you can't even be sure of. For those of you who claim you have no cooking talent there are so many websites to help out & those who claim they have no time to cook should rethink as there are many easy 1-2-3 dishes that are healthy and you could have yr dishes done b4 u know it. Yes, I worked 40+ hrs a week and had 2 children and know the headaches and stress you can have at the end of the day but we did share our meals around the table while they grew up.

Now I should stop typing as I have 2 dr appts this a.m. - promise to read the list later and hopefully will not be too shocked - lol