jumping on the scales

Options
So i have just signed up today and i was wondering how often i should weigh myself??? In the past i have found that i get addicted to the scales and jump on them every few days!!!!! I know this won't help me so i hope you can give me some ideas????

Ta Rachel
:)x

Replies

• melissa80216
    Options
    I think try for once a week. Jumping on the scale can be so addicting. People tend to forget your weight will fluctuate daily. So once a week around the same time if possible.
  • lilchicksta94
    lilchicksta94 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I was weighing myself daily because I watched a special with Dr. Oz and he said it helps you stay on track... My weight fluctuates daily and it was actually discouraging. So now I weigh myself every Saturday first thing in the morning with the same clothes on :-)
  • thatlook
    thatlook Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    im also addicted to gettting on my scales :grumble: but only log my weight weekly...i wish i could make it a fortnight between!! try not to put them somewhere you always see them, out of sight out of mind as the saying goes, im going to try it as when i can see them i want to get on them more!! :wink:
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started,too. Stepped on the scale and not happy. I am just going to weigh myself once a week, also. Maybe this will be a good reminder for over the weekends! Good luck..
  • binkxo3
    Options
    I weigh & log myself every morning. I also however account for any weight that goes up too. It makes me stay on track more. I think it depends on the person, I however find myself with OCD like tendencies that cause me to weigh myself.

ETA: I am however losing mostly every time I get on. Im sure once I hit a plateau I will stop weighing myself as much.
  • Dawna954
    Dawna954 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I found that I was getting very discouraged because the scales didn't move all that much even though I had been working extremely hard. I was feeling really good and it brought me down. So, I got out the tape measure and to my surprise I had lost 6 1/2". That was the true reflection of my hard work. Don't let the scales dictate. Your clothes and how you feel are a much better indicator of your progress. Good luck!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I suggest hiding that scale for a while! Weighing weekly or less often usually helps people not get frustrated.
    However, contrary to my suggestion, I weigh daily, because I watch for fluctuations that indicate I ate something that my system is either allergic or sensitive to. I'm trying to find out what my sensitivities are, so when I'm maintaining I know what to avoid!
  • lilchicksta94
    lilchicksta94 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I found that I was getting very discouraged because the scales didn't move all that much even though I had been working extremely hard. I was feeling really good and it brought me down. So, I got out the tape measure and to my surprise I had lost 6 1/2". That was the true reflection of my hard work. Don't let the scales dictate. Your clothes and how you feel are a much better indicator of your progress. Good luck!

^^^THIS!! I really need to get a tape measurer... all my clothes are getting big but the past almost 2 weeks now I've been at a stand still... I think measuring myself would definitely make me feel better. Especially when you work out a lot... muscle weighs more than fat....
  • EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

This ^^^^.....the scale will make or break you!!! Once a week or other week, wake up, go to BR, naked and get on scale!! Weight fluctuates....I was at a weight for months but my clothes kept getting looser and looser.....best of luck to you!!! Keep strong and don't get discouraged!!! Need support, feel free to add me!!
  • lizhughes1
    lizhughes1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone, once a week is the way to go. Every day isn't really realistic anyway. This isn't the biggest loser it's not like you'll lose 1 to 2lbs a day. Plus I've noticed that you can be one weight one day the next you'll be 2lbs heavier and you'd didn't cheat and did your workout. So it can be discouraging to do it that way. Sometimes it's just water retention. I weigh myself every Sunday morning after going to the bathroom and before I eat anything.