Exercise that don't require you to stand?

I am a below knee amputee and have developed some pretty blisters on my stump and for probably at least 2 weeks or more I'm not going to be able to exercise, b/c I can't wear my prosthesis... so I'm trying to find exercises that would be good for me to do while I'm unable to stand/walk/ etc... :( I don't want to just use this as an excuse for the next few weeks to do nothing so want to find things that will work... I have 2.5 lb and 5 lb weights at home... Thanks!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Have you tried water aerobic programs? If you have a YMCA in your area you could call and ask what type of programs they offer.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Exercise in the pool. Lift weights for your upper body.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Try punching air, fast but light/air boxing....that'll get the heart rate going!
    http://www.free-online-health.com/punch-up.htm
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    After my ankle surgery, it was recommended that that I purchase a handbike to get some cardio in.

Punches, crunches, yoga, etc etc

Swimming is great as long as it isn't bothering your wounds.

Knee planks, pushups, bicep curls, chest flies ..............
  • Id say swimming too!
  • BritskyB
    BritskyB Posts: 13
    I know this topic is a bit old, but I am a below the knee amputee as well and know what that's like. When I first began this weight loss journey, my prosthetic sleeves were in horrible shape. I use the jell locking liners, and the bottoms of them were so worn out I ended up with horrid blisters. I found that pilates was a good source of exercise, strength and stabilization training, but it didn't require me to have to stand really. Almost everything was adaptable for me to do in the comfort of my own home while nursing healing blisters.
  • Jillian Michaels said Punches are a great way to raise your heart rate :)
  • HelloNewYou
    HelloNewYou Posts: 12 Member
    Have you tried an arm bike? Probably not common at a lot of gyms, but my experience is most YMCAs have them. I used to work with several people in wheel chairs and they used them reguraly. It's essentailly like pedals at chest/head level that you rotate with your hands. It's great because you twist your core as you move. You can add resistance just like a maintream stationary bike. Good luck!

http://www.fitnesszone.com/category/001-009.html