Replies

• chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    you should talk to a doctor
  • LinzCurlyQ
    LinzCurlyQ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Getting weight training into your routine will help a lot, but I agree with also getting blood work done. I just found out I have low testosterone. Which sounds funny because women are supposed to have low amounts, but not having enough is harmful to our bodies as well. It can cause extreme fatigue, muscle loss, lack of motivation, and loss of hair. There may not be anything wrong with you, but it doesn't hurt to check.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I started out with 5lb dumbbells I had lying around the house, and quickly graduated to 15's. Soon I will need heavoer weights. How much weight to lift depends on your current strength level, and you are the only one who can determine that. But you want them to be heavy enough that 6-12 reps of an exercise is tough for you.
  • karylee44
    Options
    i really think you should hit up your doctor about hyper thyroid.. if you are eating well, and excersizing.. your hair would not be falling out.. and sound like you are losing muscle mass and moodiness is a big tip off. please get checked.. if you do not do anything about your thyroid you can go into thyroid storm wich is a serious condition and can cause death in some cases.

karylee
    (who has graves.. a form of hyperthyroid)
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I know I definitely need to start lifting--but yeah, I'd love some suggestions of what kind of weight lifting to start with? Low weight, high reps?

I agree with the others. First see a doctor - the things you listed sound suspicious of a medical problem. Next, swap 2-3 cardio days with strength training. I'd highly suggest finding a gym or other place that offers group classes - or some sessions with a trainer - to get you started. You'll learn lots of full body workout ideas, good form, and will have something to motivate you to actually show up and do it. We have local community rec centers and a hospital that offers low cost classes to the public (as an option to a gym membership).

And yes, build conditioning first with lower weight/higher reps.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Weight training made such a difference in my body shape. :heart:

The photos from June in this thread are after about 6 months of mostly cardio, with some 5# dumbbell and body weight exercises. The photos from January are after about 7 months of strength training with heavy (well, heavier) weights, plus cardio.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/474504-seven-months-of-admittedly-inconsistent-strength-training
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Low weight high reps will be almost useless. Moderate to heavy weights with moderate to low reps.

I disagree. You have to build up to heavy weights. Can't go zero to 100 immediately. You're more likely to hurt something, dislike it so much you wont keep at it, etc. Challenge yourself, yes, but learn good form first - and that's the first thing that goes out the door with uneducated lifters using too heavy of weights.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I disagree. You have to build up to heavy weights. Can't go zero to 100 immediately. You're more likely to hurt something, dislike it so much you wont keep at it, etc. Challenge yourself, yes, but learn good form first - and that's the first thing that goes out the door with uneducated lifters using too heavy of weights.

Any good lifting regime should incorporate a introductory, ramp-up period for people trying it out. I know 5x5 does. You start out at basically the lowest weight you can do and increase consistently from there. Heavy weights are just 'heavy' compared to what you can do safely. People trying to bite off more than they can chew risk injury regardless of the paradigm they use.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Low weight high reps will be almost useless. Moderate to heavy weights with moderate to low reps.

I still think she should start at a moderate weight for moderate reps then up to heavy for less reps once she has the hang of the proper form.

High reps low weight work your muscles differently and will not prepare her for heavy weights. So going heavy at the beginning should be fine as heavy is relative, and her heavy now will not be her heavy once your muscles are more conditioned and she has the form down.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've done New Rules of Lifting for Women and have just started Stronglifts 5x5. I'm really enjoying the SL program (and you can download the program for free!!). New Rules can get a little complex with the various stages and different workouts -- for someone not used to weight lifting it may be a bit daunting. SL is only 5 different compound lifts so very easy to get used to. You start low and increase each time as you can.

Form is EXTREMELY important, so I would recommend getting a trainer if possible to get you going with the right form on these lifts. If nothing else, watch youtube videos (I watch a lot of Rippetoe's stuff), but it's hard to replace having an actual person watch you and help you develop your form.

Remember -- heavy is relative. Lift heavy for YOU, wherever that is right now.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Heavy is relative.......my heavy when I started lifting is not my heavy now.....but if you spend 5 weeks doing 5 pounders for 20 rep....this is pretty much a waste of time
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Heavy is relative.......my heavy when I started lifting is not my heavy now.....but if you spend 5 weeks doing 5 pounders for 20 rep....this is pretty much a waste of time

This. If I can carry a 40# bucket of kitty litter from the car, through the yard, and up a flight of steps, I'm not going to get much of a workout picking up something the size of a 12 week old kitten.
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    Bump...any particular weight regimen recommended?

bodybuilding.com has some great routines for men and woman, depending what your goal is it will give you a routine (cardio and weights) to meet your goals.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I really don't like weight training so I haven't done it that much.

^ Here's the big contributor to skinny-fat.

I know it's low for maintaining but it's been keeping me at that weight..I haven't tried upping calories.

Try upping calories.
    Should I take one more day off cardio and really focus on weight/muscle training? Thanks to anyone who reads all this an answers.

I would consider taking some time off entirely and increase cals a bit and if you gain a little during this period, don't stress it. I'd then return after about a week off and drop the cardio down to 3 - 4 days and start a heavy lifting program 3-4 days/week.

^^ this, I know what you are talking about. It is very difficult to transition from losing weight to maintaining and there will be a little gain in weight (not due to fat gain) when transitioning from only cardio and eating with a deficit to maintaining and lifting.
    I have don it and I ended up gaining about 8 lbs with in the thirst month and a half to two months, then dropped 4lbs with in a month after that.
    Our body holds on to water when we first start to lift heavy also muscle does weigh and it takes about 6 weeks under normal circumstances to gain 1 lb of muscle.
    Since then over all I am up 4 lbs from my lowest weight and down 2 dress sizes. In the beginning I didn't want to transition from so much cardio because of the euphoric release it gave me, but now I feel much more balanced and happier over all.
    Also some of that flab you are talking about might be loose skin depending on how much weight you lost. That will take a combination of lifting, cardio, a healthy diet and time too.

I hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Since you said you don't like weight training, maybe check out a class at your gym. They have several at mine that are different kinds of weight lifting, and when you do it with an instructor or other people, it's usually easier.
  • fasttrack27
    Options

This. If I can carry a 40# bucket of kitty litter from the car, through the yard, and up a flight of steps, I'm not going to get much of a workout picking up something the size of a 12 week old kitten.

Agreed, but you're at a different level. We're talking about her, not you. For someone who has never lifted 40# before and then told to go try to do it over and over for 30-60 minutes I dont think is the best advise either. Why are a couple of you pointing to the extremes? Nobody said to start with kittens or cat litter tubs or 5 weeks of 5lbs. And of course heavy is a relative term to the individual. I specifically said to challenge herself (not kittens or whatever). If heavy maxes you out at 6-8, medium at 8-12, and light is 12-14 reps (should be a logical amount) then I dont see a downside to someone brand new doing a couple weeks at lighter weight/reps then graduating up. BTW, 5lb/20 reps IS a big challenge for some people. I know because I live with one.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options

Agreed, but you're at a different level. We're talking about her, not you. For someone who has never lifted 40# before and then told to go try to do it over and over for 30-60 minutes I dont think is the best advise either. Why are a couple of you pointing to the extremes? Nobody said to start with kittens or cat litter tubs or 5 weeks of 5lbs. And of course heavy is a relative term to the individual. I specifically said to challenge herself (not kittens or whatever). If heavy maxes you out at 6-8, medium at 8-12, and light is 12-14 reps (should be a logical amount) then I dont see a downside to someone brand new doing a couple weeks at lighter weight/reps then graduating up. BTW, 5lb/20 reps IS a big challenge for some people. I know because I live with one.

I wouldn't say I am at a different level. I'm a total newb to all this. No one is saying to lifting one weight for an hour straight. I sure as hell couldn't lift that cat litter bucket for an hour.

She's already at a rather light weight for her size, and is concerned about being "flabby." To me, that says she doesn't have enough lean body mass. I've been there, too, and I know what it took to transform my body. And it wasn't light weights and high reps. That's just adding more cardio, and she's already doing buttloads of cardio, and isn't happy with the result.
  • kernowprincess
    kernowprincess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing a body pump exercise at your local gym. I run a lot (well started to) and my PT has suggested this as an alternative on my non-running days to help with strength and stamina. I often feel tired after running and use a protein shake as a pick me up but I see you are already upping your protein. The body pump certainly makes me feel good after as it gets my adrenaline going and does not affect my food intake too much.