Iron Kid

Options
My two oldest girls ages 12 and 11 want to participate in Iron Kid. They need to train and be able to do 300 yard swim, 8 mile bike ride, and 2 mile run. They can practice for the running and biking, but any suggestions on what type of work outs would help them with swimming? (We don’t have access to a pool)

Replies

• MStrawn
    MStrawn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Swimming is such a tough sport/exercise. you really have to be able to practice form, and get an understand of how tough it is. Swimming makes you use your muscles is such a different way that there is not an efficent way to train besides actually swimming.

If they are good athlets, and have had lesions/practice before, I think 300 yd could be ok. that is still a very long swim, so be careful.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    The only work out I know to help with swimming is actually just swimming. Doing landwork will only go so far. I know you said you don't have access to a pool and I am not sure where you live (or how far from any urban center you are) but places like the Y or sometimes cities have open public pools that are not super expensive to go to, the ones in my city are dependant on age but you can get a 10 pass (which is 10 swims) for 60 bucks, 120 bucks for 2 kids isn't horrible and would help them greatly. If you go that route you may want to get a family pass though as I read your profile and you have a few more kiddos that may enjoy some good family time in the pool.

Just my thoughts of course but being a swimmer/guard/instructor when I was younger the only thing that really helps you get ready for any long type swim is being in the water - of course running and biking will get their endurance up which they will need but land exercises are greatly different than water ones.
  • momnorg
    momnorg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My son (14) is a competitive swimmer and has also done some Kids of Steel Triathlons. You really need to get your kids into a pool as much as possible to prepare their bodies for the swim. Even if it is only a couple times a week. It is a very different motion than biking and running is. We drive 45 minutes one way, 9 times a week for my son to train in a pool.
    He also does land training 3 times a week which consists of: push ups, yoga, shoulder rolls using a towel, Tying a long stretchy band to something and pulling on it in different swim strokes with the arms, weights, chin up bar, floor exercises that work the abs and the legs, skipping, throwing a weight ball back and forth to a partner,.....there are more but he is not here to ask right now.

Hope that helps a little. But I really encourage you to get in some water as much as you can. Good luck.
  • bkw2488
    bkw2488 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I will check around with some of the fitness places here and see if they would offer some kind of punch card etc so they can access the pool. The triathlon is in June, I am in South Dakota, so outdoor swimming is not an option until June LOL.

This is a good idea also! Tying a long stretchy band to something and pulling on it in different swim strokes with the arms, weights,
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also, the YMCA has a policy of not turning anyone with financial need away - ESPECIALLY children. If you have a Y, ask about financial aid.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for the pool. My kids swam competitively For over 10 years and my son is on a college swim team now. And to prepare for the swimming part you have to swim. Try to get someone to teach them a flip turn. That will give them a HUGE advantage when they are racing. Good luck!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Also, the YMCA has a policy of not turning anyone with financial need away - ESPECIALLY children. If you have a Y, ask about financial aid.

My kids are also training for a kid triathlon which is in June also. I have been taking them to the pool once a week. I'd take them more often but we have to contend with a schedule filled with TKD, CCD and Odyssey of the Mind.