Are MULTIVITAMINS bad for you?

Options
I have heard that taking a mutlivitamin daily is actually bad for you because it gives you "too much." vitamin A,C,E and iron. What does everyone think? I eat pretty good and I get most of my vitamins I think so would adding a multivitamin be a good or bad thing?

~Do you guys take them?

Replies

• monbeaucher
    monbeaucher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this too!
  • seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    i've heard mixed reviews. some docs say they do nothing.

i take a prenatal everyday for my nail and hair.
  • sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    if you eat good and healthy you do not need vitamins
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    This is from the Mayo clinic website:

Multivitamins — Are they the best thing for you?
    By Jennifer Nelson, M.S., R.D. and Katherine Zeratsky, R.D.43 comments postedRead commentsPost a comment
    Do you take a multivitamin? Or a single vitamin, mineral, or combination supplement? If so, you are in the company of tens of millions of U.S. adults.

Why do you take them? Most people say it makes them feel healthier or they believe it will prevent chronic diseases, or colds and flu. But you may be surprised to know that what is in your bottle and on the label is not strictly regulated. And there is no system in place to collect reports of adverse affects.

Over the past few years there has been increasing evidence that multivitamins and single or combination type vitamin/mineral supplements may not provide the health benefit sought by you, the consumer. In some cases the opposite or no beneficial effects have been reported.

Alarming to think that vitamin or mineral supplements could actually cause more harm than good. An example of this is the use of beta carotene by smokers actually increased the incidence of lung cancer. This is echoed by a recent study out of the University of Washington that reports the use of multivitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E and folate did not reduce the risk of lung cancer.

It is not all bad news though; there are studies to support the use of folate (folic acid) prior to and during pregnancy in the prevention of neural tube defects in the developing fetus. And history has proven that vitamins and minerals play a critical role in our health — the reason we know about the benefits of vitamins and minerals in food is because of the major discoveries in disease prevention such as vitamin C and scurvy and thiamine, a B vitamin, and beri beri (a wasting type disease).

This may leave you wondering if those vitamin mineral supplements in your medicine cabinet are doing what they should or even worth your money.

Let's look at this way — do you eat a well balanced diet? If so, you may not need a multivitamin and if you take one as a "safety net" know that you may exceed what your body needs or can use.

Are you concerned about a chronic disease? If so, making changes in your diet and exercise habits, not smoking and following through with recommended screenings by your physician are more likely to benefit your overall health picture.

Consider your current state of health, talk to your doctor and/or dietitian, and weigh the possible benefits and risks of a multivitamin and mineral supplement for you.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    A multi is usually a good thing, especially if you don't get all your vitamins and minerals from your food every day. Most of the vitamins and minerals in a multi are water soluble, so you'll flush out any you don't need relatively quickly. Too much iron is a bad thing, it is hard for your body to eliminate it. Too much A can cause a yellowing of your skin, but this usually happens if you're seriously overdosing. Too much vitamin C can cause diarrhea, but it's usually around a 30000% RDA dose. I don't know what too much E causes.

I take a multi everyday. Because my iron levels tend to be really high, I avoid it in multis. I actually cannot take a "women's" formula because of the iron. Just a general multivitamin is usually sufficient.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I take them because my diet is lacking in some essential nutrients, but there are some vitamins such as vitamin A that are poisonous in extremely large doses. How large? I don't know.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any health problems..it shouldn't be a problem. I for one, have thyroid issues. I have to watch the iodine and make sure it isn't too much. I also take D3, calcium and fish oil.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    http://www.multivitaminguide.org/

Check out that website. It will tell you which vitamins absorb better. Not all multi-vitamins are created equal. So....get your money worth and health perks by choosing the right vitamins!!
  • Kathy077
    Options
    I was told it is find if you take a vitamin...I take a B complex....anything your body does not need from it you will pee it out....

I did however just ready this ....

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/vitamin-supplements/multivitamins-good-for-me.htm

Basically if you are eating a well rounded meals every day, most likely you do not need one, and if you aren't....you just have to find the right vitamin that offers what you arent getting enough of.
  • Ro0kins_Wedding
    Options
    I take them everyday. It's my only real source of vitamins and minerals
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just stopped taking mine today because I feel as though I am eating better. I never really felt better when I was taking them. I am taking a calcium chew though and will be looking to add certain foods to my diet so I no longer have to take this.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I take individual liquid vitamins and supplements spaced out during the day, instead of a multivitamin. For instance, iron and calcium tend to bind together, so it's best to take them with a few hours apart from each other. I prefer taking the selected vitamins that fit my individual needs. In my case, it's vitamins B12, D, calcium citrate, Floradix iron and herbs and a vegan DHA supplement.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That is a much debated topic even amongst nutrition scientists and gurus. Below is a link to an article I read recently with 2 experts discussing it. It's kind of funny that they can't agree, but does nothing at all to answer your question. I decided to stop taking a multivitamin and ask my doctor about vitamins and limit to only those that she recommended.

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/EMIHC254/24479/8015/1414799.html?d=dmtICNNews
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My doctor seems to think they are fine. She recommended that I take a multi everyday. I'm also severely deficient in vitamin D, so I take a separate vitamin D supplement as well. So far, I haven't had any problems.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I take GNC Multi for women. I know it has some fillers, but it has done wonders for my skin. Also, it gives me a bit of energy. Can't hurt I guess.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I take a women's daily vitamin but I try to 'eat the rainbow' and have as many fruits and veggies per day that I can. For people like me that are small boned it's important to prevent osteoporosis (runs in my family) by getting that vitamin D from supplements and the sunshine (that kind of vit D is better for the body, experts suggest 30 minutes per day)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist, doctor, and a personal trainer have all recommended that I take either a liquid multi vitamin or a natural CAPSULE multi vitamin (those centrum or women's one a days are garbage), so I take a doc/nutritionist approved Emerald labs food rich multi vitamin, along with an omega-3 fish oil capsule (also recommended by doc and nutritionist). I take these 3x a day (recommended dosage is 2-4 a day).

My doctor is a marathon runner as well, so I really trust his advice. He is very anti-meds, pro-natural supplements/healing methods. Plus, the nutritionist I've seen is a triathlete and a registered dietician. I trust their expertise :)

You can find ALL KINDS of info out there to say they're bad, they're good, they don't matter, whatever. This is just what has been recommended to me that I follow.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I think you should get your blood checked and have the dr suggest what you need to supplement. I take a multivitamin I get kidney stones so the dr checks my blood tells me what I am lacking. I have consistently been low on Vitamin D and iron. I take those 2 supplements.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I get headaches when I take Multi's
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I think you should get your blood checked and have the dr suggest what you need to supplement. I take a multivitamin I get kidney stones so the dr checks my blood tells me what I am lacking. I have consistently been low on Vitamin D and iron. I take those 2 supplements.

VERY good advice. Having a full physical with blood work is a great idea before beginning any kind of supplement routine.