Having trouble staying under 1310 calories

Options
I find that I am having a hard time staying under 1310 calories and NOT be starving all the time. I feel like heaven forbid if I have a coke sometime or something. I don't know how to open up my food diary for others to see so advice on that would be helpful too. I don't tend to eat a lot of things at all but I feel like im hungry constantly. I know I need to stock up on more fruits and veggies but it is hard to eat veggies just by themselves. Anyone have any good low calorie recipe sites?

Replies

• dawnblu
    dawnblu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi - if you go to your profile page and click on settings at the top you can change your diary settings to let others view. My goal is 1330 per day and I can usually keep in it but I work out as well three times a week so that helps. You are welcome to view my diary - but it's pretty boring. I try to make things at home on the weekends that I can eat that are lowfat and lowcal.
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    Try bumping up your protein intake. I've found that if I'm hungry, eating high-protein foods fills me up quickly and keeps me full for hours.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein. This will help you feel full longer. I try to get at least 100g a day (1g per pound of lean body mass). Center your meals and snacks around protein. Fill in with fruits and veggies and whatever else you like. Fats are fiber will help you to feel full longer too. Here are some of my staple foods:

Chicken
    Beef
    Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Whey protein powder
    Cottage cheese
    Red peppers
    High fiber crackers (I like Kashi)
    Clementines
    Berries
    Baby carrots
    Hummus
  • LolaVersion2
    LolaVersion2 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    A few suggestions:

Are you exercising a lot? Exercise will definitely make you feel hungrier and you should make sure you're eating back at least half of those exercise calories

Try adding protein to your meals, which keeps you feeling full longer. Also try adding fat, but just limit the portion sizes.

Make sure you're drinking enough water. People often mistake thirst for hunger.

Lastly, make sure you're eating whole foods rich in vitamins. If your body is only being fed junky foods, its screaming for nutrition.
  • JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Fiber will also help keep you full. So, you may want to look into some high fiber cereals for breakfast or fiber one bars for snacks. Plus, fruits and veggies are good sources of fiber. Make sure you watch your snacks and try to eat every 2 to 3 hours so, you keep your tank full. If you let your stomach get empty you will eating more to compensate so, try to get the regular snacks in to help and drink plenty of water. if you are drinking 8 cups a day try to push that number two or more cups. The water will keep the hunger at bay and sometimes, we think we are hungry but, we are actually thirsty and need the water. Good luck.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I usually net between 1200 and 1300 a day and there are some days that I'm eating just for the sake of eating to get my calories in so I won't be under by so much.

Feel free to check out my diary. I don't feel hungry all that much and I work snacks in.

Also, look at working out. When I'm feeling hungrier or know I'm going to have a higher day then I workout so I have my exercise calories to eat back!!! I do try to NET 1200-1300!!!
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1500 a day...I don't eat cookies etc...as they have high calories, I'd prefer a bigger meal to be honest....though I do crave a cheeky cookie :)
  • Gemmageldmacher
    Gemmageldmacher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good advice from the above posters. In a nutshell: protein, water, fiber. Eliminate refined sugar and carbs as much as possible, or reduce to just one "treat" a day. These are super high in calories but don't really satisfy. If you open your diary I'm sure people would have more detailed feedback. Good luck!
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Try bumping up your protein intake. I've found that if I'm hungry, eating high-protein foods fills me up quickly and keeps me full for hours.

Worked for me! I put protein powder in nearly everything.
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com.
  • amyallenstockwell
    amyallenstockwell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I hear you SISTER! I have a goal of 1000 day knowing that depending on not being able to measure or chances of miscalculating I am probably really intaking 1200-1400 a day.

Lunch seems to be my problem. If I eat anything other than Lean Cuisine/WW somekind of prepackaged frozen thing or soup, I usually blow majority of my calories before dinner. My only other way of controling it during the week(other than the prepackaged meals) is hot and sour soup and a small spring roll for lunch. It is cheap, hot, full of flavor and breaks up the monotony of the Lean Cuisines. I love salads but winter I want hot food.

I work 50+ hours plus two kids. It is really hard to get my exercise in during the week. So I don't have that offset.

One other thing. I looked at my history overall. Of the 20 days I have been logging, 2 were over 1500, 12 days were between 1500 & 1000, 6 less than 1000. Overall it probably all averages out. I think if I get just one more day or longer workout in each week, it will help tip the balance. I don't eat my workout calories if I can help it.
  • Gemmageldmacher
    Gemmageldmacher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oh, and Weight Watchers has great recipes!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I find that I am having a hard time staying under 1310 calories and NOT be starving all the time. I feel like heaven forbid if I have a coke sometime or something. I don't know how to open up my food diary for others to see so advice on that would be helpful too. I don't tend to eat a lot of things at all but I feel like im hungry constantly. I know I need to stock up on more fruits and veggies but it is hard to eat veggies just by themselves. Anyone have any good low calorie recipe sites?

try eating just a little bit more, maybe 1410 instead of 1310. you will notice a huge difference and not that different a weight loss each week. you'll still lose, in other words, and not be hungry all the time. try eating more protein rich foods. they help fill you up more, i've noticed. 1300 is pretty low. most people can't do it for very long without feeling starved. unless you are under 5 feet tall. then it might work for you.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I hear you SISTER! I have a goal of 1000 day knowing that depending on not being able to measure or chances of miscalculating I am probably really intaking 1200-1400 a day.

Really?

OP, do what everyone else recommended - protein, fiber, water etc etc.
  • macylane4
    Options
    If you exercise you can eat more! That low amount is for you to be sitting and doing nothing or sleeping all the time! I guess change your eating to lower cal stuff as well!! Like instead of eggs...use egg beaters...get diet coke instead of regular! I only eat about 1200-1300 per day, and I feel great! I'm sure i'm a lot bigger then you as well! I always eat a granola bar as my last food for the day, and I haven't woke up hungry ever!!! People are suppossed to maintain their weight at 2000 calories, so a person even eating 1500 calories will lose! Just not as fast as you would probably like.
  • macylane4
    Options
    Also fee; free to check out my diary!
  • amyallenstockwell
    amyallenstockwell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with the eat more protein. I add medical protein my nutritionist suggested. UNJURY(20 g protein per scoop)-order online no script needed, alot cheaper than protein you buy in the stores and tastes better too. Only protein supplement I have ever tried that unflavored is really almost unflavored. I put it in my coffee in the am with a pack of carnation breakfast drink (7/8 grams protein). You have to let it sit and stirr real well to get it to disolve, but it is very filling and then you know you are getting the protein that you need.

The nutritionist also suggested tuna salad or egg salad.
    I make a big batch on Sunday and eat it through out the week, on flat bread, wraps, on pita crackers.

tuna, light mayo, chopped kosher dill pickles (not the salad sweet cubes), chopped red onion, red bell peppers, little mustard, lots of boiled eggs, Mrs. Dash, Same thing for the egg salad- it is good as a dip too-carrots, celery, wrap with lettuce with lots of sweet peppers.
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    We kept hard boiled eggs in the fridge for awhile. I'd eat one for breakfast and a banana and be set until well after lunch time. So the protein and fiber suggestions are right on the money. I also test with water to see whether or not I'm really hungry, or just eating because I'm bored. I'll drink about 8oz of water and if I'm still feeling hungry after 20 minutes than I really am hungry and I'll go have a snack. I have fiber one brownies I'm enjoying, Special K sour cream and onion cracker chips, a bunch of various little 100 calorie packs.

Make sure you are eating plenty of veggies. I used to snack on carrots. Very low calorie, and they'd fill me up. I could eat tons of them which usually helped the "snacking cause I'm bored" monster. Find a fresh veggie you like to snack on and keep them on hand. Anything you can eat without adding a dressing is great.
  • kieferz
    kieferz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was exercising doing the c25k program but I believe I got shin splints bc it hurts to walk now let alone run. Been resting it and icing it. Ill open up my food diary to get more feed back. I know I had a few cheat days but over all I really am trying to do well as far as sticking to my calories.
  • kieferz
    kieferz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Opened my diary up. So feel free to add input.. just be kind. :)