spice suggestions/Mrs. Dash

Options
mfoster1019
mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
i am looking for zero calorie/low or no sodium ways to season ground turkey/beef. normally i just add a variety of spices to the meat and it tastes fine. i know Mrs. Dash is salt free, but wondered what flavor would go good with ground turkey (more for mexican type food). also, what are some other seasonings i could use to flavor ground turkey? what spices do you all use to flavor ground meat?

Replies

• jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Mrs. Dash and put it on almost everything I'm cooking!

If you are looking for low sodium or no sodium ways to flavor your food... Stick with just your regular spices and herbs, not spice blends. I use Rosemary and Herbs Providence all the time. It tastes delicious!

If you are looking for Mexican Type spices, go with crushed red pepper flakes, paprika, and ancho chili powder, mixed with onion powder and garlic powder... Add a splash of lemon juice for a little extra kick as well.

I also love cooking with curry, or either boil the chicken with safron or in low sodium chicken broth, it adds a LOT of flavor..
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I use a LOT of garlic powder and Nu Salt (salt substitute)
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Oh and I forgot about cilantro and lime juice for Mexican as well
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    they have cilantro lime for mrs. dash
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Cumin. That is what creates that "mexican food" flavor. I swear by it.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    MEXICAN!!! My fave! Heat a bit of olive oil to your pan. Add some minced garlic and some red pepper flakes if you want it spicy. Cook until the garlic is heated but not brown. Now add your turkey and some cumin powder. Once your turkey is cooked sprinkle on some lime juice. Very nice, light mexican taste and great for tacos, enchiladas or stuffed poblanos!!!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I love to use lemon juices on meats. It really brings out the meat's flavor.

I also use Lemon Pepper often (it's not real lemony). It tastes best on chicken. I've found cumin and crushed/ground crushed red pepper are very tasty on ground turkey. You can make it as mild or hot as you like. The miscellaneous season salt is always a good start!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    i am looking for zero calorie/low or no sodium ways to season ground turkey/beef. normally i just add a variety of spices to the meat and it tastes fine. i know Mrs. Dash is salt free, but wondered what flavor would go good with ground turkey (more for mexican type food). also, what are some other seasonings i could use to flavor ground turkey? what spices do you all use to flavor ground meat?

Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime and Mrs. Dash Chipotle.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Tony Chachare's :o) They offer salt free and less salt versions. I prefer the herbs & spice. Depending on where you are, you may have to order online though.
  • pdjohnson40
    pdjohnson40 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this thread. I too am trying to reduce my sodium intake and have started using some of the Mrs. Dash spices. I love cooking with ground turkey. I use sautee onions and green peppers to help add flavor to my mexican dishes. Of course - lots of garlic!! It adds great flavor! Fresh garlic is better but powder garlic works too.
  • CapsFan17
    Options
    For a mexican flavor I use cumin, chili powder, and cayanne. I also like to add some fresh garlic. But if you're looking for low soduim options I would definately stick with individual spices and stay away from spice blends. When I want to add some flavor to something I'll sniff the spices and see what smells best with what I'm cooking, it usually turns out pretty good. Good luck and don't be afraid to experiment. :happy:
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    Mustard, garlic, red pepper, and a table white wine (on a calorie splurge day... no cooking wine, it's loaded with salt) work wonders on various kinds of turkey when you use them together. I haven't tried them on ground yet. but I bet the patties would be good over light mashed potatoes. I just made myself very hungry.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Here's a good recipe for taco seasoning. You can omit the salt and it still tastes great!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/taco-seasoning-i/
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    SPIKE! Spike salt-free seasoning goes with everything!!