What to eat a Mexican restaurant?

IcassI
IcassI Posts: 248 Member
Tonight, I am going to Rosa Mexicano, a Mexican restaurant. In preparation I have eaten light this morning and will this afternoon since I do not know the nutrition facts of the restaurant. I am thinking the healthiest option would be to get fajitas and not eat the tortillas.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Replies

• No idea, sometimes I get fish tacos if they aren't fried. I like refried beans. But i'm not sure the health value of either.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Mexican shrimp cocktail it a good option. It is basically a salsa with shrimp and avacado! Super delicious and no guilt....
  • I get chicken fajitas with corn tortillas whenever I go out for mexican.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    black beans, grilled chicken fajitas minus the tortillas.
    no sour cream or cheese! got it! lol
  • kseacrist
    kseacrist Posts: 11 Member
    rosa mexicana's ceviche is also really good....and their fish tacos are grilled and yummy!
  • Fajitas sound like a good option but watch our for the sodium. It's a killer in Mexican food.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Refried beans have a lot of fat (often cooked with lard which is why they are soooo good). A corn tortilla has about 70 calories compared to a flour tortilla with about 110, so if you want a tortilla, go with corn. You usually can get a chicken breast meal. They are often covered with cheese sauce, so you would have to request no sauce. My downfall is always tortilla chips and queso dip!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    I get chicken fajitas with corn tortillas whenever I go out for mexican.

I like this idea. Also, great job planning your day around a potentially high-calorie meal later on. I wish I had that kind of foresight! :drinker:
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Chicken fajitas are really good, especially if you just eat the meat/veggies.

Or, get a ceviche if they have one. Ceviche is basically pico de gallo with some type of seafood in it, usually shrimp or octopus or a white fish. That is super good. You can eat it with a few chips or just with a fork.
  • I would also suggest fajitas wihtout tortillas and cheese. If meat is grilled its pretty low in calories. I made fajitas at home a couple days ago and didn't realize they were 150 cals each. Again a reminder to log my food before I eat it.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Make sure the chicken is grilled for the Fajitas and the tortillas aren't fried.

Ceviche or cocktail is also VERY healthy.

Of course, this all depends on how it's prepared.
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    My fave restaurant offers fajitas as lettuce wraps with black beans as an entree. Yum and not bad at all!

Ceviche is a great choice, too!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    You can opt for corn tortillas which have less calories, no fat, no sodium and no sugar. Anything grilled is a good option and try to stay away from the sauces, the cheese, and the sour cream. Refried beans and fried rice are no-no's. And that's all I got. I usually opt for the fajitas with corn tortillas and a side of lime.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Another option is chicken enchildada's without the rice & beans. Not half as bad as one would think....just shredded chicken, corn tortilla's, a little cheese & red sauce.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Taco salad (with beef or chicken) without the shell and have them put the cheese and sour cream on the side so you can control it. I usually pour salsa over mine with about a tbls of sour cream.......oh yummy.....you don't even miss the cheese.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    i like the vegetarian fajita bowl at the restaurant we go to - minus the shell and sour cream of course!
  • ywolfie
    ywolfie Posts: 76 Member
    Mmmm...seviche. Shrimp and fresh veges. Total delish!
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Ah, Mexican food is one of my downfalls. Eat whatever you like (within reason!) and go for a run this afternoon. :D
  • IcassI
    IcassI Posts: 248 Member
    Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions! :happy:
  • 1RBelle512
    1RBelle512 Posts: 53 Member
    I would say to get the chicken tortilla soup, without the tortilla strips and cheese. Chicken soup is tasty and filling without costing too many calories. I have found that fajitas, while better than other options, are STILL way over the top, especially because they come out all oily. And whatever you do, DON'T EAT THE CORN CHIPS!!! Good luck.