Meals & Snacks that will keep you full

Options
I like to snack on postachios (sp?) or almonds and those seem to help curb the appetite. But i get tired of eating the same thing. And at meals, I would like to be able to eat a small portion of something and be satisfied. What snack foods and/or meals do you recommend? I love to cook so if you have any recipes for anything and don't mind sharing, i'd love to hear them! Thanks in advance!

I'm new by the way :) 28 yrs old, 5'6, about 8.5 lbs to loose. And what a challenge these last 10 lbs have been!!

Replies

• lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Im VERY weird when it comes to meals and snacks so you might/might not find this helpful. My snacks arent your traditional snacks. For example I might a small bowl of oatmeal and tuna fish OR brown rice with tuna fish. It has both carbs AND protein that will keep me full. You could also do a small bowl of cheerios with plain greek yogurt. Ive also had tuna and a banana as a snack (as you can see I eat alot of tuna, lol.)

You could also do a small mini meal: 1/2 or 1 cup of veggies with a piece of chicken. Or a bagel thin with 1 oz cheese and some scrambled egg whites. Again there is a combination of carbs AND protein. Most people make the mistake of thinking of a snack as just a piece of fruit. With anything that you choose you want to make sure there is a good combination of carbs AND protein to keep you full and satisfied.

Again, I dont eat the typical "snack" foods so you might or might not find this helpful!
  • alicia2601
    alicia2601 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bumping to say that i made a fabulous (and filling!) dip tonight courtesy of Weight Watchers.

1/2 c. plain non-fat greek yogurt
    1 tbsp ranch dressing seasoning
    mix in a little black pepper and chives

serve w/ veggies
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I am in love with Bistro Sensations chicken sausages. They're 110-120 calories and they have a few different flavors. I like the habanaro pepper jack or the spinach and mozzarella ones the most. Walmart carries those.

Then there's things like tuna or chicken on a FlatOut flatbread or pita (if you can find them in your area). Easily under 200 calories and a ton of protein.

There's a smoothie I make and I swear that it tastes good, despite what's in it. It's called a green monster smoothie.

Makes 2 servings

1/2 cup skim milk
    1 cup baby spinach
    2 TBSP peanut butter
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1 frozen banana

Blend it up with some ice until it's like a smoothie. The main thing I can taste is the peanut butter and it's amaaaaaaazing.

Progresso Light soups are pretty good at keeping me full but I know soup doesn't do that to everyone. There's like 70-90 calories per serving, depending on what kind.
  • ford8709
    ford8709 Posts: 140
    Options
    Bump
  • alicia2601
    alicia2601 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am in love with Bistro Sensations chicken sausages. They're 110-120 calories and they have a few different flavors. I like the habanaro pepper jack or the spinach and mozzarella ones the most. Walmart carries those.

Then there's things like tuna or chicken on a FlatOut flatbread or pita (if you can find them in your area). Easily under 200 calories and a ton of protein.

There's a smoothie I make and I swear that it tastes good, despite what's in it. It's called a green monster smoothie.

Makes 2 servings

1/2 cup skim milk
    1 cup baby spinach
    2 TBSP peanut butter
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1 frozen banana

Blend it up with some ice until it's like a smoothie. The main thing I can taste is the peanut butter and it's amaaaaaaazing.

Progresso Light soups are pretty good at keeping me full but I know soup doesn't do that to everyone. There's like 70-90 calories per serving, depending on what kind.

I'm going to give this recipe to my husband. He's been making smoothies alot lately, and he'll throw in everything but the kitchen sink and somehow they still taste great! and this actually sounds pretty good too!
    Yeah i don't know about the soups. Most of the soups are only a cup per serving and I usually have to eat an entire can to feel satisfied. My favorite Progresso soup though is the high fiber, creamy tomato basil. Mmmm!
  • mowink55
    Options
    How many calories do you think are in your Monster Smoothie?
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Oranges, Yogurt with granola and lite popcorn.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Every snack so far is loaded with protein. That's my big key for staying full...protein. I make sure my breakfast is loaded with it.
    I like to mix cereal with greek yogurt. Right now I'm eating 1/3 cup Kashi Go lean Crunch and Voskos Greek. Let it set for a minute to soften the cereal a bit. My breakfast total is 187 calorie and I am satisfied until lunch time.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been crazy about slicing an apple and dipping it into ~2 tbsp of all-natural almond butter. SO GOOD! It works with peanut butter, too.

I also like to mash up an avocado with lime juice.

I also eat a lot of greek yogurt and cottage cheese.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Here are just a few recipes...I just posted one for spaghetti squash too...I have more, I post on here regularly and try to update my blog with a list of recipes at least twice per month
    Low calorie Chili

1 Can Bell Orto diced Tomatos

1 Can Chili Beans in Chili Sauce

2 C Water

1 and 1/3 cups

Morning Star Meal Starters Recipe Crumbles

1/4 cup each red, orange, green, and yellow peppers

1/4 cup chopped white onion

2-3 Tbsp Chili Powder

3 Garlic Cloves, chopped salt and pepper to taste

serves six 1 cup bowls

151 calories 25 carbs10 protein7 fiber2 fat (if using 12oz 97% fat free turkey burger, calories total 230 calories per 1 C bowl)

Cornbread muffins

1 c. cornmeal

1 c. Whole Wheat Flour

1 Tbsp stevia

1/2 t. salt

3 t. baking powder

1 c. Unsweetened almond milk

¼ c. Egg substitute

¼ c. Unsweetened Applesauce

Makes 12 cornbread muffins (very dense but flavorful)

86 calories 16 carbs 3 protein 2 fiber 1 fat

Soooo good homeade (low-cal) vegetarian ravioli!

Filling:

1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese

1/4 cup Mozzerella or Italian Blend Cheese

1/8 cup stredded parmesaen

3 Tbsp Egg beaters

1/2 cup frozen spinach, drained and chopped.Topping:

2 cups julienned zucchini

2 cups julienned yellow squash

1/4 each red, yellow, green, and orange peppers sliced

1/4 cup sliced onion

Take 24 wonton wrappers, and fill with filling. Steam veggies, Boil pasta 5 min and drain. Take 6 ravioli and 1/4 of the veggies, put on a plate and top with 1/8 c. warmed marinara sauce.

Serves four.

336 calories 59g carbs 5g fat 18g protein 8g fiber per serving

Cabbage and Vegetable soup

Roughly chop:

2 Red Onions

3 Leeks

2 Large Celery Stalks

1 Red Cabbage

1 Cup of Skitake or Crimini Mushrooms

6 Garlic Cloves

Add: 2 TBSP Fennel Seeds

2 tsp Caraway Seeds

2 tsp Sea Salt

2 TBSP Paprika

2 TBSP fresh oregano

Freshly Ground Black Pepper

8 - 10 sprigs parsley

Combine all together with 2 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hr. Adjust seasoning as needed. Top with chopped fresh parsley. *Note - if you like spicy, add some cayenne pepper as it boosts metabolism.

Makes 12 one cup servings

69 calories 15 carbs 3 protein 4 fiber 1 fat

Blue Cheese Egg Cups

1/8 Cup Crumbled Blue Cheese

1 TBSP Bacon

4 TBSP Egg Whites

Put bacon and blue cheese in a muffin pan.

Add egg whites. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Makes 1 Muffin, if you make extras refrigerate them and heat up later

108 Calories 2 Carbs 6 Fat 460 Sodium 12 Protien 1 Fiber

Mexi-Egg Cups

1/8 Cup Pico de Gallo

1/8 Cup Shredded Colby Jack Cheese

4 TBSP Egg Whites

Put Pico de Gallo and cheese in a muffin pan. Add egg whites. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

96 Calories 5 Carbs 4 Fat 188 Sodium 11 Protien 1 Fiber

Mediterranean Egg Cups

1/8 Cup Chopped frozen Spinach (thawed)

1 TBSP Crumbled Feta

1 tsp Chopped sun Dried Tomatoes

4 TBSP Egg Whites

Put Spinach, feta, and sun dried tomatoes in a muffin pan. Add egg whites. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

83 Calories 6 Carbs 3 Fat 302 Sodium 12 Protien 2 Fiber
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    DEFINATLEY protein

I agree with the tuna lady - its the best low fat, low cal snack around - one tin is like 50 calls and keeps you full for HOURS!!!

otherwise:
    - egg whites
    - tea latte with almond milk
    - carrot cucumber and celery sticks with humous
    - apple and peanut butter
    - almonds
    - small banana
    - rice thins and honey/peaunt butter
    - ice cream (http://www.myarcticzero.com/) BEST EVER
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you think are in your Monster Smoothie?

It depends.

I actually make them different depending on what I need for that day. Sometimes I use only 1/2 a cup of milk, 1/2 a frozen banana, 1 cup spinach and then some zero calorie peanut spread. That's under 110 calories but doesn't have the protein that real peanut butter does.

If I need a lot of protein, I'll use everything I listed in the original recipe but replace milk with a scoop of protein powder. That's about 400 calories but roughly 45-60g of protein. (Dependent on brand)

Exactly how I said before might be 250-350 calories per serving.
  • cdusanka
    Options
    I LOVE Quinoa! You can find it anywhere now. Check your local health food store, Bulk food store, or Costco. It cooks like rice but has lots of protein and fibre. I use it instead of rice with meals, and I substitute it for oatmeal ( I hate oatmeal!!!)

You can make your own greek yogurt at home using Plain 0% or 1% M.F. yogurt.
    Take some cheesecloth or muslin and drape it over a collander or seive. Place collander in a bowl. Pour the Plain yogurt in and cover it a bit with the edges of the cheesecloth. Leave in the fridge overnight (or at least 6 hours). Drain the bowl once or twice...it will fill with water from the yogurt. And Viola!, You have your own homemade, lowfat Greek Yogurt!

:flowerforyou:
  • afmarx
    Options
    I love 6 oz. plain greek yogurt with 1 tsp. of Truvia........you can add fruit as well but it's already sweet from the Truvia..Delicious. Also 4 oz container of Live Active Breakstone cottage cheese with 1 tsp of Truvia and sprinkle with cinnamon..
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    bump
  • babyblooeyes
    babyblooeyes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes, Quinoa has become my new best friend. I recently used it in my vegetarian chili and also am currently eating quinoa flakes.

Theresa
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    After watching the movie Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, I have been juicing fresh fruits and vegetables. I can't believe that I don't get hungry! I think it is the extreme nutrition. I have been borrowing my mom's juicer, but now am going to get my own. And my kids like to make juices!
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    I find that lentils keep me very full. What I love doing is cooking a 1/2 cup to a cup of lentils, then putting a cup or two of baby spinach in it (after draining the water out), a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper, a big squeeze of lemon juice. Then i add a couple big dollops of yogurt (the Liberty Greek non fat ones are the best!), some pepper, and voila. This is actually not my recipe, but Jamie Oliver's. It is yummy! I serve it with roast salmon wrapped in prosciutto for a complete dinner. Really good and healthy too!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Quinoa! You can find it anywhere now. Check your local health food store, Bulk food store, or Costco. It cooks like rice but has lots of protein and fibre. I use it instead of rice with meals, and I substitute it for oatmeal ( I hate oatmeal!!!)

I'll add another shout-out for quinoa! Sometimes for a small meal or snack, I cook it up, mix it with a can of tuna and some basil/oregano/pepper, mix in a bit of extra virgin olive oil & some chopped veggies and enjoy a nice filling, well-balanced snack. YUM! It's so versatile and so easy to make a lot of tasty little dishes with!
  • Carolyne14
    Options
    My go-to snack when I get the "sweets" attack is to crumble 1-2 small squares of graham crackers in a small bowl, cut 1/2 banana then add yougart (I prefer Chobani) perhaps a bit of honey, and cinnamon. Or 10 choc chips. Or granola bits. It reminds me of a healthy banana pudding.