Fitbit? Pedometer? Runkeeper? Nike+? HELP

Options
I want to get one of those calorie/exercise tracker devices because I do a lot of workouts alone and a lot of them I'm guessing at how many calories I burn (Like my fat burning yoga or hula or walking a mile up and down the hill by my house, running in the woods, hiking and even strength training).

The Fitbit is offered on MFP so it's the first one I heard of that isn't just a pedometer and seems to track calories burned according to Heart rate, time, etc.

I don't want to be crediting myself calories I'm not burning or shorting myself on the calories burned.

Has anyone used any of these devices, have any suggestions on which one to buy or have any experience to help me decide what to do? If nothing else how do I track calories when there isn't any real way to know (exercise machine, etc?)?

MAHALO!!!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/fitbit

Replies

• Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at the fitbit for a while now but I'm not entirely convinced on the accuracy of it yet, but it's not like I own one.

For workouts nothing beats a Heart-Rate Monitor.

I wear a pedometer when I go for walks and just use MFP's "Walking 3.0 mph" and round down the time I walked.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit, which I love, but it's not a true Heart Rate Monitor (HRM). I don't know how accurate its calorie count is. There's a huge discrepancy between my Fitbit calories and my machine calories. I use it to track my steps and flights, which is actually fun for me.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    bitty bump
  • CarolineSuzanneSmith
    Options
    bump to read later. i'm also in the market for a good HRM/calorie counter, but can't decide on one.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I track my runs using Nike+ and link to machine but in terms of calories... I use my Polar RS300X which is fantastic and I think accurate as can be for a mid range HRM.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit. Wear it on a cord round my neck and synch it online several times a day. It's extremely motivating to watch the step count and distance increasing, and makes you want to take that one extra flight of stairs...that one extra walk with the dogs to earn your daily badges. Also tracks how often I'm waking in the night, quality of sleep, etc.
  • mrs_lanza
    Options
    I'm a huge Nike+ user. I started using it to track my running but now they came out with the Nike Fuel which tracks everything. I love it! :smile: I highly recommend it. If you end up getting Nike + let me know and I'll add you as a friend on the nike page!
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Oh, I want a fit bit so badly. But if you are trying to track the calories burned, it's not as good as a HRM. I've done research on this. A lot of people that have both have to go into fitbit website and adjust the calories to match their HRM when they work out. Machines are usually off as well. I'd say get a Heart Rate Monitor that comes with a chest strap. I have a Polar one I got for pretty cheap and free shipping on Amazon.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I use a bodybugg (also a bodymedia) that I can wear 24/7 minus water time (ie shower). This has proven to be very accurate since I get the full picture of what I am burning in a 24 hour period. It uses two metal plates that are touching your tricep to sense the tempature, wetness, and a few other chemicals to tell just how hard you are working out. I suggest you look into it :wink:

According to the website Bodybugg.com "The armband has been shown to be over 90% accurate when determining calorie burn through the entire day. More specifically, a recent independent study tested the armband in real-life situations. Participants engaged in "free living" activities, including brisk walking, running, bicycling, sedentary activities, home activities, home repair, occupational activities, strength training, and ball games. The study compared the armband to a $40,000 "portable oxygen analyzer", the gold standard for measuring calories. Results showed:

Total Calories for free living activities: mean error <10%.
    Total Minutes of exercise: mean error <5%.

Source: British Journal of Sports Medicine. July 2010. Berntsen et al."
  • jolleymomma02
    jolleymomma02 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! Both me and my husband have a fitbit and we love it. It doesn't monitor your heart rate, but we like that it's tied in with MFP. You can set it to track your exercises and it will update it to MFP and update your calories you can have for the day. So far we don't have any complaints with the fitbit except I wish there was a way to also track your heart rate. I think it's cool it monitors your sleep.
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper on my mobile device. It's great as long as you can carry a mobile while you are running/walking (and have battery, service in the area). It also accepts HRM measurements at the end of the work out if you so wish. It bases calories on your weight and other factors (elevation climb (hills)). I like it. I add the workouts here on MFP and the calories are usually lower here, but I just leave it.

Its not a bad tool for being free!
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    Love my fitbit. Wear it on a cord round my neck and synch it online several times a day. It's extremely motivating to watch the step count and distance increasing, and makes you want to take that one extra flight of stairs...that one extra walk with the dogs to earn your daily badges. Also tracks how often I'm waking in the night, quality of sleep, etc.

Exactly!!!
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar....shoot....forgot the model type. Either way, it's an HRM and I can't wait to use it. I ordered it on Amazon yesterday for $80. I'll let you know how I like it if you want!
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    Which Polar is best to get? I was going to post a topic but since this one was already started... I do want a chest-strap. I'll still use my Fitbit. It's attached to me at the hip (almost literally!).
  • cmarshel
    cmarshel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar Bluetooth HRM ($75) that I pair to my phone with the SportsTracker Pro app ($5). Loving it!
  • jkburns29
    Options
    I have a Nike Plus and I love it, but if you want it to track more then just run/walks I wouldn't recommend it. Nike is about to come out with Nike Fuel. Its a bracelet you wear constantly and it can tell if you are sitting verse active and it can tell you how many calories you burn for every little thing you do. That is what I would recommend. Nike Fuel.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've got the polar FT60 hrm and its fantastic! X
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I use a bodybugg (also a bodymedia) that I can wear 24/7 minus water time (ie shower). This has proven to be very accurate since I get the full picture of what I am burning in a 24 hour period. It uses two metal plates that are touching your tricep to sense the tempature, wetness, and a few other chemicals to tell just how hard you are working out. I suggest you look into it :wink:

According to the website Bodybugg.com "The armband has been shown to be over 90% accurate when determining calorie burn through the entire day. More specifically, a recent independent study tested the armband in real-life situations. Participants engaged in "free living" activities, including brisk walking, running, bicycling, sedentary activities, home activities, home repair, occupational activities, strength training, and ball games. The study compared the armband to a $40,000 "portable oxygen analyzer", the gold standard for measuring calories. Results showed:

Total Calories for free living activities: mean error <10%.
    Total Minutes of exercise: mean error <5%.

Source: British Journal of Sports Medicine. July 2010. Berntsen et al."

I have never heard of that one. THANK YOU FOR THE SUGGESTION.
  • jdavison91
    Options
    I'm a huge Nike+ user. I started using it to track my running but now they came out with the Nike Fuel which tracks everything. I love it! :smile: I highly recommend it. If you end up getting Nike + let me know and I'll add you as a friend on the nike page!

Do you have the Nike Fuel already? I didn't realize it was already out. I thought they were only taking pre-orders. If you have it, can you please provide a more detail review of what you like and don't like about it?