Cyclists I have a question...

Options
I bought my hubby a helmet, so I would have something to give him for Valentine's Day, but his real gift is going to be a bicycle. I want him to pick one out. He'll be a newbie and we have no ideas about what he needs. He has real problems with shin splints and running is getting very painful. He loves nature and would probably enjoy riding trails and such, but for day to day we are in a neighborhood with streets...I'm thinking about a hybrid bike, but can anybody enlighten me more as to what to look for. TIA!!!

Replies

• rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Unless you are thinking about doing some long (20+miles) on the road - I would go for a mountain bike w/ 29" wheels.
    Find a local bike shop, call them, and ask for a bike fitting. It may cost a few bux if you dont buy the bike from them - but a properly fit bike will make all the difference in the world.
    If you are looking to save some $$ - still get the fit, and get the size bike he needs, then go to CL. Tons of great deals out there.
    Then once you get it - go back and have it fit to him.
    I cannot stress enough how important this is. It will make a difference between loving to ride and hating it.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thanks, one question...CL is?
  • reaolliemama
    Options
    Camp Lejeune?
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    I have a Cylco-Cross bike, and love it. Think of it as a road bike with gripy tires. It's great for riding around on roads, gravel, and trails. A hyrbrid or commuter bike is also a good choice.
  • sansey
    sansey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    CL = Craig's List

I would recommend going to your local bike shop. Have him test ride what he is interested and go from there. The experts at a bike shop will help to point you in the right direction.
  • tristanathan
    Options
    I'm betting CL is Craig's List
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Curious about CL also!

As for the shin splints when DH jogs, I am not an expert, but I have read that shin splints CAN be a sign of wearing the wrong shoes. He might want to check into that too. It would be sad to give up something you love just because the shoes aren't right.
  • reaolliemama
    Options
    well duh! Craig's List...we do have a nice run/bike/swim shop close to home. I told him I wanted him to go there. He doesn't want to spend a mint on a bike, but I know they'll help him!
  • reaolliemama
    Options
    Curious about CL also!

As for the shin splints when DH jogs, I am not an expert, but I have read that shin splints CAN be a sign of wearing the wrong shoes. He might want to check into that too. It would be sad to give up something you love just because the shoes aren't right.

He was fitted at the local running store, they even recommended custom insoles (his arches are incredibly high), which he got...I've had great assistance there, but he thinks that he may have gotten the wrong fit! I guess he may want to go back and ask.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Absolutely get fitted for a bike, it'll make the difference between going on a 50K ride and beating the thing with a sledge-hammer or getting up and going again the next day (been there, done that)

Properly fitted you make the best use of the efficiency of the bike, if not properly fitted you can burn a lot of unnecessary fighting with it.

Bike shops are glad to help, make sure too you get a tool kit appropriate for the bike, IE no need to carry a whole socket set but a box/open ended wrench for the size of the bolts on your bike will be a big help. Bike maintenance is pretty straightforward unless you get into the exotic frames (and prices)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    No matter what kind of bike he gets, I recommend a bike shop. It is well worth spending a little more money for something that will last then buying a POS from Walmart, etc. He could always go for a fit and then look at CL (craigslist). What kind of bike (mountain, hybrid, road) all depends on the type of riding he wants to do. Good luck to you both. Cycling is a fantastic way to get and stay fit!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If I had to do it all over again, I would not have bought my hybrid OR my road bike.
    I like riding fast on the road, but hopping into dirt if I want to.

The solution to that is a cyclocross bike. Check those out!

If you do go hybrid/fitness bike, get one with a rigid front fork. I'm a fan of Trek in this segment. $400-700 is the price point where you get good quality at a good bargain.

If he's going to spend almost all his time off road, and deal with rocks/gravel rather than just dirt and a few bumps, I second the 29" wheel mountain bikes. Avoid rear suspension on inexpensive mountain bikes. Hardtail is the place to start.
    Specialized, Giant, Trek, etc.