looking for ideas for low/no sugar drinkswith no artificial

Options
redrover
redrover Posts: 71 Member
I'm try hard to limit my sugar intake but also want to avoid sugar substitutes. I have been drinking mostly water with the occasional green or black tea. Does anyone have any suggestions for drinks to give me some variety? A little bit of sugar is OK.

Replies

• redrover
    Options
    I'm try hard to limit my sugar intake but also want to avoid sugar substitutes. I have been drinking mostly water with the occasional green or black tea. Does anyone have any suggestions for drinks to give me some variety? A little bit of sugar is OK.
  • expressbug
    expressbug Posts: 100
    Options
    Crystal Light - Lots of Flavors only 10 calories
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    seltzer water with lemon on the rocks

no sugar
    no cals
    tastes great
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Fresh mint tea

Heck, any type of tea.

Sweeten with stevia.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    herbal teas, water with a lemon or lime wedge
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you're trying to avoid artificial sweeteners, you're not left with a lot of options aside from tea and water.

You can put a splash of 100% fruit juice, any flavor of your choice, in your cup of ice water for a refreshing taste with much fewer calories. You can also drink flavor infused waters that only have fruit essence without the sweetness of sugar or artificial sweeteners... I'm having trouble thinking of specific brands, though. Choose one that's calorie free and naturally flavored without any other additives.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you're trying to avoid artificial sweeteners, you're not left with a lot of options aside from tea and water.

You can put a splash of 100% fruit juice, any flavor of your choice, in your cup of ice water for a refreshing taste with much fewer calories. You can also drink flavor infused waters that only have fruit essence without the sweetness of sugar or artificial sweeteners... I'm having trouble thinking of specific brands, though. Choose one that's calorie free and naturally flavored without any other additives.

Stevia is an option. Its basically a root which naturally is sweeter than sugar, and is 0 calorie. However its got more of an herbal earthy flavor than sugar so it can take some getting used to.
  • redrover
    Options
    Thanks a lot everyone! I truly appreciate the ideas.
  • kfeuvrel
    kfeuvrel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have it in my head that honey is better for you than white sugar - like it doesn't cause an insulin response spike maybe? So I'll do different teas with a tablespoon of honey. Not too many calories....
    But I really do make a serious effort to drink 64 oz of water everyday - so I'm not usually trying to drink other things on top of that. My kidneys can only take so much, you know?

Good luck.
    Kathryn
    :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    How about getting a juicer? Then you can make delicious fruit juices with raw fruits or even vegetables. I have not tried it myself but I have been thinking about it. I saw an infomercial about a sharper image juicer. Has anyone tried it? I normally drink water, I am addicted to it. :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm a big diet coke drinker, and I hate drinking water. I started drinking herbal teas instead.... Stash makes some great ones. Lemon and ginger in the morning, chamomile at night. Best of all, no caffeine!
  • redrover
    Options
    I'm definitely going to try some of these - especially the Stash teas next week. I really like the Honest Teas - especially the Moroccan Mint Green Tea. Very little sugar and tastes great!
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    How about getting a juicer? Then you can make delicious fruit juices with raw fruits or even vegetables. I have not tried it myself but I have been thinking about it. I saw an infomercial about a sharper image juicer. Has anyone tried it? I normally drink water, I am addicted to it. :laugh: :flowerforyou:

I have the jack lalane juicer and it rocks! No need to peel fruit either. It comes with a recipe book and you can use the pulp of the fruit to make other things (apple juice = apple bran muffins). I haven't used it in a while, maybe I should bust it out again. I got it at Costco for $100 I think.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have it in my head that honey is better for you than white sugar - like it doesn't cause an insulin response spike maybe? So I'll do different teas with a tablespoon of honey. Not too many calories....
    But I really do make a serious effort to drink 64 oz of water everyday - so I'm not usually trying to drink other things on top of that. My kidneys can only take so much, you know?

Good luck.
    Kathryn
    :flowerforyou:

Actually honey does cause an insulin spike. It is healthier than sugar, in general, but if you are trying to watch blood sugar stuff, it will cause a spike.

I add stuff to my water all the time - Daves idea with the seltzer water is great too. You can add berries, lemon slices, lime slices, cucumber slices, mint leaves. A cucumber slice or two with some lime is very refreshing! 3 - 4 berries with a lemon slice and a couple of mint leaves is great also - if you have a pitcher or carafe, add stuff and icecubes, fill with water and refridgerate a couple of hours - tastes great!! Seltzer water topped with a splash of fruit juice - grape or orange or any really - is great and doesn't have much sugar, if you are careful with the juice. Enjoy! and have fun experimenting :drinker:
  • redrover
    Options
    I'm trying to keep my fiber up so i can't go with the juicer - it takes a lot of the fiber out of the fruit. I usually just throw everything in the blender and make a smoothie out of it.