Vegetables-- which ones to do you eat how do you prepare the

Options
Hi!

I'm not a fan of vegetables, but I know they are good for you. If I'm eating a vegetable it's normally a potato, carrot, or lettuce. I'm considering bringing more vegetables into my life, but I've never been a big fan of them. How can I make them more enjoyable (less torturous) to eat?

Replies

• Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try roasted Brussel Sprouts and or grilled esparagus! they are delicious and good for you! Just add a litte salt and pepper and a little garlic!
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    You can change your tastes. The more you eat something, the more likely it'll be that you will eat it.

I used to hate mushrooms: the texture, taste, everything. But I know they're super healthy for you so I began eating them. At first just raw on salads, now I use them extensively in cooked dishes.

Just keep eating vegetables and you'll start to appreciate them. Start with vegetables you like more. For example, begin by eating more potatoes, carrots, or lettuce, then work your way up from there.
  • huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love roasted veggies in the oven or grilled. Try grilling peppers, zucchini, squash. I love steamed broccoli too!
  • BaconSan
    Options
    If you don't like eating them try juicing them, 3 carrots & 1 apple juiced makes a great drink & you get the vitamins though you miss out on the fibre but it is better then no vegetables.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I roast all my veggies with a small amount of olive oil and salt/pepper. My favorites are eggplant, Brussels sprouts, carrots and cauliflower. 350° for 30 min.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Hide them in food. Bell peppers are great for this. Make in a skillet with chicken or steak and a sauce.

Roasted: Brussel sprouts or asparagus with salt and pepper.
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    cucumbers- omgosh I just love them to pieces LOL. Throw some light ranch into the mix- ranch makes all veggies delicious lol. I also really like grilled peppers/onions (just grilled on our little home grill).

Some people like to spice up their veggies- personally I'm not very experience with spices but heres a link to a chart with dif. spices and the veggies they go great with.

http://www.spiceadvice.com/usage/chart.html
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    oh i agree, i sautee my brussels with garlic, YUM and asparagus on the grill with garlic mmmm:)
  • staceywtucaz
    staceywtucaz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have been loving spinach lately. It's SO easy to prepare, and it cooks down a lot so you can eat tons of servings! I heat 1-2 Tbls. extra virgin olive oil in a big pan on the stove (med-high heat) with some minced garlic to taste. Add in as many handfuls of spinach that will fit in the pan and cook. Stir occasionally, add sea salt to taste. It will seriously cook down to less then half the size so sometimes I add a couple more handfuls!
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Im kinda the opposite, its fruit i struggle with.

I have added alot more vegetables into my diet, tried few new ones.

One thing ive learnt is i need to "try" after i feel happy enough ive had a try i dont feel as bad about it, however i do tend to revisit what i didnt like to try again.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    The boyfriend and I LOVE sauteed onions. Put a little oil in a saute pan, get it hot, add sliced onions and saute for 20 minutes. I have the heat on high at first to get them carmelized and then turn the heat down after they have some color. Because the pan is hotter I use vegetable oil instead of olive oil (smoking point is higher).

Lots of veggies are great just chopped or cubed, tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper, and whatever seasoning (rosemary, garlic, basil, oregano, etc etc) and roasted in the oven. Times will vary.

I love veggies of all sorts. Throw some baby spinach in your omelettes or on top of hot pasta and let it wilt.

Try new things ... and enjoy. :drinker:
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Spices are your friend :)

I used to be really picky growing up. But after trial and error with preparation techniques I have found that I like more than I thought was possible!

Every day I eat mushrooms, a couple cups of baby spinach (cooked with the mushrooms) and maybe some onion. Huge fan of minced garlic, garlic powder, chili powder to season things up. I pair the mushrooms and spinach with egg whites, brown rice, whole grain pasta... very versatile.

I also like fresh baked asparagus drizzled with a combination of sesame oil, soy sauce and sesame seeds.

I get a sweet potato anytime I eat out at a roadhouse kind of place. And I keep several "Biggins" potatoes ready to throw in the microwave for 5 minutes.

I've incorporated zucchini into stir-fry and sometimes in with chocolate chip muffins (with truvia vs. sugar) for a nice treat.

And lastly, I make spaghetti squash once every other week or so. Usually lasts me at least 5 days and tastes great with chicken (or if I'm lazy with some laughing cow cheese)

Hope you find some that you like! There's a whole world of deliciousness to be had when it comes to produce! :)
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Roasted cauliflower (with a little bit of broth in the pan for flavor) and steamed broccoli are two of my favorites. You can also mash turnips, after boiling them in water with a little salt and sugar, and they approximate potatoes. They're not exactly the same, but you get used to it. I also love beans. I've started putting beans into most of what I cook. I also like to mince or food process veggies and include them in my cooking, if having chunks isn't appetizing for the meal, or if the texture of the veggie is disagreeable. It's the only way I typically eat any kind of cooked carrot, bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, or celery, as the texture of those is not up my alley. But minced and put into a stew, soup, pot pie, burrito, or casserole, it adds a great flavor. You can also put pureed or diced cauliflower in homemade mac & cheese. Yum! Cauliflower is nice because it's such a mild flavor, it takes on other flavors really easily.
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    Ditto the suggestion to roast them. Any vegetable + salt, pepper and olive oil + a 400 degree oven until things start to brown is a magic recipe.

You could also try blending spinach into fruit and yogurt smoothies to get some extra veggies in your diet. I didn't believe it until I tried it myself, but even with just equal parts yogurt, blue berries, and spinach, you don't taste the spinach at all.
  • Kaylake88
    Options
    Green peppers are so taste put those diced tomatos and onions and cilantro in a plastic bag add a teaspoon of itallian dressing yummmm
  • cchartzell
    Options
    Spinach is a great one, and you can use it in a lot of different ways: inside an omelette with cheese and onions, in a salad (instead of iceberg or red leaf lettuce, you can use spinach to boost up the nutritional value), or sauteed with a little bit of bacon and garlic and tossed with some couscous. You can also blend it into smoothies.

Broccoli is a great vegetable too, and if you don't like the natural taste you can add a tiny bit of cheese for protein. My favorite way to eat broccoli is to roast it with walnuts and toss it with penne and a little bit of grilled chicken.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I love pretty much any vegetable. Experimenting with them will really show you which you like best. Roasting works really well with almost any vegetable, just spray some olive oil on them, and a little salt and pepper, and put them in the oven until they are a little browned on the outside. Cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potatoes, squash, eggplant, asparagus, even carrots and turnips, all work well with this. Otherwise you can steam them, or even make soups/stews out of them by sauteeing some onion and garlic in a little olive oil, then add your vegetables (I use eggplant) and a can of tomatoes.

Another really nice recipe is here http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/24/black-bean-and-butternut-squash-burritos/ . Less vegetable-y and more burrito-y, they're seriously tasty (and to reduce calories even more, I cut out the rice and just increase the amount of squash.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm not a fan of vegetables, but I know they are good for you. If I'm eating a vegetable it's normally a potato, carrot, or lettuce. I'm considering bringing more vegetables into my life, but I've never been a big fan of them. How can I make them more enjoyable (less torturous) to eat?

My veggie list:

brussel sprouts
    asparagus
    red, yellow, orange, and green peppers
    eggplant
    yellow squash
    zucchini
    spagetti squash
    acorn squash
    butternut squash
    romaine
    spring greens
    tomatoes
    onions (red, yellow, white, and green)
    leeks
    spinach
    carrots
    celery
    sugar snap peas
    corn (white and yellow)
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    cabbage (red and green)
    Chives
    Garlic
    Shallot
    Bok choy
    Artichoke
    Chard
    beets
    Cucumber
    Green beans
    rutabega
    turnip

the list goes on...I have a zillion ways that I make them...I usually have 8-10 servings of veggies a day
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I am a picky veggie eater also...I pretty well only like potatoes, green beans and the main salad veggies (lettuce, onion, tomato, and cucumber). I hate carrots, corn, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, ect ect.. you get the point.

Here are some ways I try to get them in.

Do you like tomatoes?? If so.. try drinking V8 instead. It tastes just like tomato juice to me and each can has 2 servings of veggies. I try to drink a V8 any time I do not have any veggies in my meals. They also have those V8 Fusion drinks that supposedly taste like fruit juice, I have never tried them, but they are worth a try if you dont like tomatoes.

Also.. even though I do not like certain veggies.. I find that I can incorporate them into some of my favorite soups that they blend in with the flavor of the soup. So you could try that.