Wheat/Bread Allergy????

Options
sportygal
sportygal Posts: 221 Member
I have virtually cut out bread in my diet. I notice now that when I have it on ocassion, I get anxious and bummed out feelings. I don't know the spike in blood sugar is causing it, or a wheat allergy or what?! I don't know if it is a coincidence, or a true reaction. Anyone have any similiar situations? I don't mind missing bread/wheat too much, but its hard to believe in such a short amount of time, I'd react that way.
Any suggestions?!?!?

Replies

• sportygal
    Options
    I have virtually cut out bread in my diet. I notice now that when I have it on ocassion, I get anxious and bummed out feelings. I don't know the spike in blood sugar is causing it, or a wheat allergy or what?! I don't know if it is a coincidence, or a true reaction. Anyone have any similiar situations? I don't mind missing bread/wheat too much, but its hard to believe in such a short amount of time, I'd react that way.
    Any suggestions?!?!?
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It might be the wheat gluton you have a problem with? Try gluton free bread and see if that helps :)
  • persian_dancer
    Options
    he's right it could be that. I think you need to go to a dietician to see for sure. I will be going soon as well as I cannot eat much pork or red meat products without feeling the same way and feeling very ill on top of it. I know how you feel!!!!
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The thing is we often get used to feeliung less than great but don't realize it until we cut out the food that is affecting us. Once the food is re-introduced the effects are more noticeable. So you probably have had thisd reaction all along but didn't realize it.
  • sportygal
    Options
    I'm sure its a reaction to it...not necessarily allergy...but ugh! I have a hard time with the pork/red meat thing too...and of course...now I'm low in iron! I feel battered and with all my bruises I look the part!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I have a gluten intolerance (not allergy) and used to think that feeling exhausted all the time was normal - till I cut out all gluten products. I can really tell when I've had something with gluten in it now - exhaustion returns, as does heartburn (real agony!). I don't get an allergic reaction, though, which is more like hayfever, from what I've been told. And I do not get any reaction from gluten-free bread, so I know it's gluten and not just wheat, although you can't get gluten-free bread that has any wheat in it anyway (they can't be separated that easily - if it has wheat, it has gluten, although you can have gluten without the wheat).

I was diagnosed as having celiac disease in 2000. It's not an easy life but one that I'm pleased to have been able to manage, mostly.

There are plenty of resources out there if you google celiac disease.

BTW, you can have wheat allergy without being gluten intolerant. It'll be similar to what would happen in any allergy.