processed food and eating healthier

Options
2»

Replies

• MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict anything.

^ I follow this method as well. I am in the best shape of my life and my health markers have all improved.

When you say all your health markers have improved I assume one of them is your Total Cholesterol. If I am correct in assuming that I ask this: What is your total cholesterol? (if this is too personal, I understand)
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict anything.

^ I follow this method as well. I am in the best shape of my life and my health markers have all improved.

When you say all your health markers have improved I assume one of them is your Total Cholesterol. If I am correct in assuming that I ask this: What is your total cholesterol? (if this is too personal, I understand)

I don't think it's personal but I would have to dig up paperwork. I'm on the high end of normal and I'll be getting it checked again in about 4-5 months because at that point I'll be well into my cut again and at a lower bodyweight so it will give me a good comparison.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I limit processed foods to a small part of my diet.

The ones I still eat regularly are: bacon, canned beans, bread, pancake mix, processed cheese, ice cream (I guess that counts), breakfast cereals (mostly cheerios)...that's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

But a majority of my diet is veggies, fruit, meat, milk, and minimally processed gains
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's personal but I would have to dig up paperwork. I'm on the high end of normal and I'll be getting it checked again in about 4-5 months because at that point I'll be well into my cut again and at a lower bodyweight so it will give me a good comparison.

I aim to keep my Total Cholesterol under 150, so I figured I'd ask. I wouldn't have been shocked to hear yours was 140 or something...
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've cut out most of the boxed side dishes (au gratin potatoes, mac & cheese, rice-a-roni, etc....), but occasionally i will still indulge. I still eat canned beans, but i rinse them first now. I also still eat Lean Cuisines............... and turkey sausage patties from Jimmy Dean.
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have majorly cut back on fast food, I eat it maybe one or two times a month now. I don't buy chips cuz I'll eat them like crazy :P I don't eat pop tarts anymore, no frozen chicken anything, no boxed dinners, no frozen meals, no chips...there's probably more. My main weakness is candy/chocolate. It always seems to be around and it's very hard to say no to it, lol. This thread is very interesting, I will keep reading more :)
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new and I have been trying to keep calories low and by doing that I am trying to keep is simple- for my own sanity. I have been so obssesed that this seems to prevent me from gettingoff track- however- it inlcludes processed nutrition bars...
    Any ideas on what to replace them with?
    Thanks

I have no idea what really goes into a nutrition bar, but you can combine the following for a seriously delicious snack:

2 cups of dates
    1/2 cup cashews or almonds raw
    1/2 cup coconut flakes
    1/2 cup raw oats (optional)
    zest of one lemon

Blend the lot in processor. You can roll into balls or roll out between wax paper before cutting into squares or strips.
    Absolutely DELICIOUS and perfect for sweet cravings!

Thanks! Bumping for recipe
  • smalacarne
    Options
    bump
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    ground meat is usually the cheaper cuts of meat ground up.

I don't care for pork-as in pork chops, pork roast, ham. I will have an occasional slice or 2 of bacon.

I eat higher quality cuts of steak, must be cooked rare.

I cut out pretty much most processed boxed meals: side dishes, suddenly salads etc. If I have a craving for something I will just buy a single serving of it...like pop tarts. I won't buy a whole box, I will buy just a package of 2. Potato chips, I will only buy a small $0.99 bag, not a big huge 7oz bag. Took me a while to not crave that stuff, but when you eat 'clean' for a while, and then eat something processed, it won't taste as good as you remember.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    ground meat is usually the cheaper cuts of meat ground up.

Not necessarily. Most ground meat is either the it it's named for (sirloin, chuck, butt, etc,) or it's simply leftover pieces. There are many cases where the basic "ground hamburger" is actually ground up leftovers of beef tenderloins. Not a cheap cut of meat at all.

Personally I grind my own meat, as it gives me the flexibility to mix and match different cuts at will, but saying ground meat in the store is automatically low quality just isn't true. It's cheap because it's made from what otherwise would've been waste, due to size, or because it's trimmed off scraps. Still high quality cut, just not enough to package as-is.