A question for all the inspirational people out there who ha

Options
2»

Replies

• farmerstan
    Options
    I lost 50 before any one said anything to me and it came to me in the form of a question. "have you lost about 20 lbs? And I answered no about 50,
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    About 30-35 pounds for me before folks really started to notice, I took a big leap forward (NSV, people noticing) when I neared my gal weight and started to buy new clothes.
  • gailashton
    Options
    It was some time, months and probably 25 pounds. However when I started lifting weights and doing some circuit classes and boot camp classes my body type began to change. The first 35 to 40 pounds I lost I just looked like the same person, ie. body type only smaller. Now people call me the incredible shrinking woman, but I look healthy and by strength training I've actually made my upper body more toned, my shoulder appear wider, my waist is much smaller. I very much have an hourglass figure I've been told now. Keep up the good work. You will be there before you know it. One day you'll just wake up and people will be like "WOW" look at you! LOL
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30lb before even I noticed it (I was not logging or even weighing myself), then alot of other people noticed it after that but then people did and i was a bit uneasy with all the attention TBH.

Now when I lose as little as 6lb people notice
  • bunnyboocakes
    Options
    My SW was 195 and I have lost 19 lbs. One of my co workers commented yesterday that I had lost some weight. Of course she works at a different job site so she doesn't see me everday. It felt good for someone to finally notice! You will get there too!
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    The only person who needs to notice is .... YOU !

Try to focus on your health, how good you feel and when those clothes start to get loose ... you'll notice how your hardwork is paying off !

One day you will wake up ... and EVERYBODY will notice how far you have come ! Never count on a number to define you ... only count numbers when eating ! have an awesome day ... and btw ... your doing GREAT ! :smile:
  • mellemar
    mellemar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me (sw 205 - cw 110) at about 20lbs is when comments started (for those that didnt see me every single day - it was closer to 40 for those i saw daily) tough to notice weight with someone you see all the time becomes harder because you won't lose large amounts over night.
    Thats odd when you consider I left my usually straightened hair curly one night and they talked about it all night?!?!?

Sometimes people choose not to tell you how great you are doing but they have definitely noticed......................... :sick:

I'd also agree with this - even when I saw people who hadn't seen me from a 60lbs lost didn't comment. I think for some, its a reminder of where they are not - as I'd say the average person slowly gains (not slowly loses) weight each year.
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hello! eveyone hates to hear it but the truth is Losing weight takes time. I am sure it has taken you a long time to put on the weight, as it will take time to lose it.
    For me it takes a very long time to lose just 1lb. I work out 6 days a week every week and I always stay under my calories, to tell you the truth I am not sure the last time I lost any weight & I have approx. 40lbs to go.
    But I can tell you I do not think I have ever been this FIT. I am giving myself 1 year to accomplish my goal. Some people can lose 40lbs in 4 months I am hoping I can lose 3lbs a month. My advice is to take measurements every 2weeks, and on that same day weigh yourself. When I first started my lifestyle change the first 5 months I barely lost any weight but I did lose inches.
    You can do this don't give up and remember to stay positive.Tell yourself everyday that you are beautiful and that you will reach your goal. You body will listen to whatever you tell it......
    You can do this.....
    Take care!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    35 lbs, then again at 50, then again at 75.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    It's shocking, but most people didn't notice ( or at least didn't say anything) until I had lost about 35lbs. You have to be strong! You will notice the difference as you clothes get looser and you feel fitter. It's an amazing feeling! I am 5ft 11 too, I started at 229lbs and am now 180lbs. It has taken me 9 months to get this far. I have realised now that this needs to be a long term thing and that it will take a while but I will reach my target in the end! I still have a stone to go but I feel fantastic and haven't been this fit in years! Don't give up! I do think that sometimes people notice but ( for many different reasons) don't tell you that thy have notice you have lost weight.
  • RebeccaJay37
    Options
    thanks for the responses everyone!

Sounds like everyone went through the 'limbo' stage where the scales were moving but not much else was - thats reassuing :)

I dont actually care too much about the number on the scale, I care about how I look and feel, which is why I think im a little peed off that the thing I care about least (scale numbers going down) is the only thing thats happening!

Measuring is a good plan - i will definitely do this from now on. I would rather loose inches than lbs.

Also, I am barely excercising at the moment, at least cardio - I am recovering from an ankle injury and am mega frustrated that I can't excercise as much/as vigorously as i want to!! :'(

Perhaps when Im fully healed and start working out again changes will become more noticeable for me.

You guys are great! you keep me on the straight and narrow and keep me motivated :)

If you all can do it, then im damned it I can't do it too!!
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    this may sound strange but i wear everything big so people can't notice until i'm done! kind of like my own unveiling:0) the important thing is that I notice....everyday i feel thinner and that makes me happy:0) good luck!
  • KiiAttitude
    KiiAttitude Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    im 5ft1 so very short and i was 325lbs im now 130lbs i guess i started noticing my health was better before the weight loss which took around 100lbs loss for me to really notice, it depends on body type i guess.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Do you take pictures and/or measurements? Since you see yourself daily it can be very difficult to notice the gradual changes. I've lost 35 pounds so far and I still don't see it, but other folks who don't see me daily have noticed differences.
  • Calorie_Killa
    Options
    My first acknowledgement of loss from a friend (who I hadn't seen in months) came when I was down 15 lbs. My boss (who I see 5 days a week) complimented me on my loss at about 20 lbs down but as someone else mentioned he knew I was trying to lose but I do still think it was a genuine compliment. Once I got down 25 lbs I did a side-by-side before and after photo and that's when others that I see on a regular basis noticed the difference. They were shocked. Some comments were "I see you everyday and had noticed you lost but not as much as this picture shows." and my favorite RE: The before pic "That is not you. I don't remember you being that big" So in that last case, that person never noticed how large I was in the first place to even notice my slim down. I fell off the wagon for a while and gained a little back. I've since come down 10 lbs and people are starting to notice again. I think it all depends on what part of your body you lose from first and how visible that is to everyone else. My face always slims down first so I think that's the most noticeable thing when I see people.

Question, are you noticing a difference in energy or mood, the way your clothes fit, ability to do some things you couldn't do when you were heavier? Keep those non scale victories in mind because even when the scale doesn't tell you you're losing those NSV's will keep you motivated. My first noticeable NSV was walking up stairs without getting winded.
  • beckihadfield87
    Options
    I'm 5ft8 and have only just started to notice at 28lbs lost, stick with it, you will get there :)
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've lost 33 lbs over the last couple of years and hardly anyone notices! But, my BP is down and I'm eating much better. I'm wearing smaller sizes.

Someone at work noticed recently though and that was nice. In fact, she wanted to know my "secret," you know the secret we all want.

I shared MFP with her, but other than that, it's simple and straightforward: tracking your food and moving more.

I still have a lot of weight to lose so I know that when I get there, some people will really notice, but in the meantime, I have to be satisfied that the weight loss has benefits other than just how I look. (I also tend to lose bodyfat all over, so an inch here and there is less dramatic than 5 inches all at once from your waist or hips).

Still my measurements are down a lot and I'm happy about it.

Best of luck!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I guess when I hit the 15 -20 lb weight loss mark, but be careful what you wish for. It's all people comment to me about now. And I get all sorts of comments these days, I look forward to the day when people can just look at me for me and stop defining me by my weight.
  • stryfe101
    Options
    I noticed after the first week..though not visually. I had an easier time tying my shoes...lol. It was about a month in that I started to really notice and about 2-3 weeks after that others noticed. I still get people saying they just noticed the change after 4 months..lol
  • megansalt
    megansalt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started in April at about 300 pounds. Officially I started on MFP in November at 281. I've lost over 25 pounds and no one has really noticed. I've been taking measurements just so I know I'm getting smaller even though no one is noticing (except for my boyfriend, but I think he's biased). Since December I've lost almost 17''. I think it's significant enough for people to notice, but oh, well. I guess it'll make it more satisfying when they notice. Lol.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!