Surgery or no surgery...that is the question!

Options

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    bump
  • smileserena
    Options
    As lots of people have said, this is only a choice you can make but since you asked for opinions/advice - I'll offer mine.

I opted for the Lighter Life diet and lost almost 90 lbs in 5 months (averaged 4 lb a week) which I've now maintained for a year. It's not the diet that is amazing, it's the work that takes place in the support group that helped me understand my food behaviours, triggers and helped me re-learn a relationship with my body and my health. I don't think some people understand how daunting it can be to have over a hundred pounds to lose and follow a weight loss programme which aims to have you lose 1 or 2 lbs a week, it's so hard to stay motivated when the goal seems so far away. I can see why surgery seems attractive.

My advice - before you decide on the surgery step, try a radical weight loss programme like Lighter life or something similar. For me, LL worked because I had no food choices to make, just eat the food packs provided and that's it. I had a 5 month vacation from the daily grind of knowing I needed to make healthier choices and then feeling like crap because I ate crap and was stuck in a vicious circle. It was the most peaceful 5 months ever!

Other people on here are right though - you CAN do whatever you set your mind too but remember it's your mind (not your body) that needs to change. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • smily_001
    smily_001 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    For years I was told that I would not be able to lose weight by myself.. That the only way that I would lose it is to have GBS.. I was unable to get the surgery due to having to pay out of pocket so on Aug. 10, 2011 I said enough was enough and I have lost 83 lbs with the help of MFP and 120 from my highest weight (460). Although I have a very long way to go, I am so happy that I did not have the surgery.. I feel so much stronger and so proud of myself for doing it without GBS.. You can do it, you just have to want to.. I will also say that the surgery is a tool, not a quick fix.. You still have to teach yourself how to eat right, and if you don't you can still gain weight.. Your final decision has to be yours.. I hope you make the right one for you.. Good luck! :smile:
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My momd did the band last summer and has had NO success. She has had pain and frustration and other difficulties, but NO weightloss. She wasn't at peace with her choice to do it before and she regrets it now.

My reccommendation is to be at peace with your decision no matter what it is.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Later this month is my 8 year anniversary of having the fully Roux-y and I am VERY happy that I made the decision I did. Do I still fight my weight? Yep, everyday. Being an addict there is always going to be an ongoing battle but I got my head in a good place, dove into the reasons why I was self medicating with food and fixed that before I had the surgery. It was a 2 year process that I went through before I went to my doctor and said "OK, let's do this".

If you are having any doubts at all (other than normal pre-surgery jitters) DO NOT have the surgery. It is life altering and a dangerous procedure. If you are not in a place where you can follow all instructions prior to surgery, post-surgery, for the rest of your life you shouldn't make the choice to have surgery.

If your concerns are about the hair loss, etc. Yep, you are going to go through all of that - as a lot of people who loose weight quickly via other means do. However, it is temporary.

Hope this is helpful. If you have questions, message me! Good luck!
  • zumbagada
    zumbagada Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Many reputable doctors require you to lose 10% of your body weight on your own before they will even do the surgery so that you understand what it's like to eat a healthy amount of food. If you are able to take off 10% of your body weight by diet and some exercise, I would wager that if you are actually debating the surgery, you'd decide to go ahead and lose the weight on your own. Just remember that, even with the surgery the main thing that is making you lose weight is reduced calorie intake. If the concept of the surgery makes you uncomfortable, then you should try to reduce your intake without artificially shrinking your stomach before taking drastic measures.
  • rhodenizer
    rhodenizer Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did the lap band and another that did the gastric surgery. They both lost a lot of weight and they both had struggles. When it come right down to it, if you are not truly motivated to change your lifestyle and your eating habits you will continue to lose and gain. Change what is bothering you in your mind, body and sole.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    No one can make this decision for you, because we do not know where you are or if you are capable of managing your food in the way that you will have to.

Here in Omaha, they have education clinics that are required for any weightloss surgery candidate. They discuss options, lifestyle changes, and put you in contact with people that have done various options. I would ask you doctor if there is such a clinic in your area, so that you can gain some perspective and a possible local support network.

Personally, I believe that bypass is far too dangerous. If you are able to walk, then you don't need that drastic of a surgery. If you had a disorder that prevented you from say, shrinking your stomach, then maybe... but you have to remember that this is a permanent decision and when it comes to our bodies, it is always better to let the body heal itself if at all possible.

Not to scare you, but I only know one person who has had the actual bypass done. She passed away a couple years ago from complications. Sure, she showed great weightloss, but after a little while, she figured it was okay to indulge. Soon, she was eating "normally" until one day, she had a sudden and severe pain. She died before the paramedics could get to her house. Her eating habits killed her by overloading her system so much that eventually her colon ruptured. So the question here is, do you know yourself well enough to definitively say, I can eat 4-6oz meals for years to come?
    I also have a friend that was in the trial stages for the LAP band. She saw incredible weightloss as well. However, as others have said, it did not "fix" her mental issues, and the restrictive diet she had after surgery reversed her mental problems, until she had developed anorexia. Over the years, she actually had to go to rehab and recover from the weightloss, and the rapid nature of her loss caused way too much extra skin. The surgery she had for that made her very sick, and now she's gaining again due to unexplained reasons.

I guess my whole point is, this is still a relatively new procedure, and they haven't worked out every single kink. People still die from doing this. The only way I really advocate surgery is for people who have gotten so heavy that they can no longer walk for fear they will break their own bones, who can't leave the house, who are suffocating in their sleep because of their weight. The fact that you are standing in your picture, wearing a normal pair of pants... I say don't do it. You can reverse diabetes on your own. It's not going to go away for a long time, even if you do get the surgery.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Another note, I maxed out at 485 and my doctor suggested I look into it because I'm clinically disabled, but frankly, the idea freaks me out enough. For a long time, I thought that I just wasn't able to lose weight. However, I am in recovery for eating disorder and I was worried that the surgery wouldn't do anything because I was already eating so little, just bingeing when I got upset. I was scared to pay all that money only to have my disorders ruin it... Not to mention the fact that I would have to change my medications, my pain therapy, everything, so that I wouldn't wreck what little stomach I had left.

Well, it's been a year and a half, and I've been up and down but I've been down 40-50 pounds since then, and I'm still on the decline. Slowly but surely, education and community support have fueled my lifestyle, and I'm conquering the beast all by myself. Even the doctor that introduced the idea is now impressed with what I'm doing, and hasn't mentioned the surgery since I started to lose it on my own. I think part of the point of the 10% deal is that if you can do that, you'll likely keep going, and maybe the doctor won't bring it up again.
  • SchnookyGirl
    Options
    Wow - I am completely overwhelmed right now...for all of you to take the time to reply means so much. I appreciate all the different opinions and life experiences shared. I've had a chance to digest (excuse the pun :) all the comments and after talking things over with myself and with Marlon (my boyfriend of 20 years), I've decided to postpone surgery and give myself a few months to TRULY try it on my own.

There are so many inspiring people and I know that I've now got a place to come when I need support, advice, etc. And I hope in time, I can be helpful to others as well.

A million thanks and hugs to all of you!

-Becky
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I can't speak from personal experience because I've never been in your shoes. I do, however, have friends who have had this surgery.

My best friend had her stomach stapled in the early 80's - lost the weight and put it all (and more) back on. She had gastric bypass again several years ago and almost died from the surgery! Was in the hospital for several months. She did finally recover and has lost over 100 pounds and has kept it off.

Her husband just had the lapband surgery about 4 weeks ago. He had to go on the liquid protein diet several weeks before his surgery and lost about 50 pounds - since surgery has lost a total of 67. So remains to be seen if he will continue to lose and keep it off.

Their daughter had the gastric sleeve almost 2 years ago - she never gave up the mixed drinks or the food - she lost about 40 pounds but has since put it back on. P.S. She had to pay for the surgery out of her pocket because the surgery was so new that insurance wouldn't pay for it - $15,000.

So I guess I'm saying, like most everybody else who responded, is that it's in your hands to make this decision. There are serious side effects to consider and it's not a quick fix - and doesn't always work if you're not committed to it the rest of your life. Good luck in whatever you decide.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    my answer to you is be still, pray on it...God will give you the right answer for you...Whatever that is...
  • jeannette120
    jeannette120 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There are lots of people who have very strong opinions one way or the other. It is a very personal question that only you can answer. When you are as heavy as I was (over 425) your options for success are smaller and smaller as the years pass. 7 years ago, I had lost 125 pounds previously using just diet and exercise and I gained it all back. Now I have the lap band and it is a tool that helps me tremendously. Personally for me, the bypass was too drastic and I am happy with the band. But I eat right, exercise, I've been seeing a therapist for over 3 years to deal with my emotional issues over food. It is not an easy way out as some people make it to be. With the band, the supplements are much less. I have lost over 100 pounds in 8 months and have never felt better. I don't regret my decision for a minute. I still have another 100 pounds to go, but with the support of my family, friends, therapist, doctor and my band I know I will get there.

Most of all you need to do what is right for you. You've gotten some great advice and have seen some amazing examples of success and failure. Only you hold the power to achieve your goals. Good Luck with whatever you decide. Feel free to add me if you'd like a friend for the journey.
  • Mamaincali
    Mamaincali Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This post couldn't have come at a better time. I too was looking at weight loss surgery, the gastric sleeve. I'd gone as far as getting all the insurance requirements done but I didn't go any further cause the surgery scares me. I am not at peace with having the surgery but just this morning I had posted on my newsfeed that maybe surgery is my only option. It is so inspiring to me to read all these responses from people that lost a ton of weight without cutting into their body. I am scared of complications from the surgery, not being able to lose weight or losing and gaining it back if I haven't dealt with the emotional aspect of my issue with food. I know a lot of people who have had weight loss surgery and the majority of them didn't turn out good at all. But now reading all of these responses has inspired me to really honestly give this a go without cutting into my body
    I can honestly say that I have not given it 100% to lose weight and keep it off to be able to say that nothing is working and I need to have surgery. I believe this is the reason why I am not at peace with having this surgery.

And its more inspiring to see that even though you actually had a surgery date scheduled that you have decided to postpone. I believe that it takes a lot to be able to do that when you're so close to having it done and its inspiring that you're going to give it a 100% before deciding on surgery. That is awesome!
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    Hello,

I, too, have tossed this idea around numerous times over the years! I'm against it now. I don't wanna have to deal with the many complications that having the surgery will bring... Not to mention the extra skin. I think, slowly and steadily losing the weight will help my skin's elasticity when I reach 100lbs plus weight loss.

Anyhow, hope you find out what you wanna do!

Michelle
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Wow - I am completely overwhelmed right now...for all of you to take the time to reply means so much. I appreciate all the different opinions and life experiences shared. I've had a chance to digest (excuse the pun :) all the comments and after talking things over with myself and with Marlon (my boyfriend of 20 years), I've decided to postpone surgery and give myself a few months to TRULY try it on my own.

There are so many inspiring people and I know that I've now got a place to come when I need support, advice, etc. And I hope in time, I can be helpful to others as well.

A million thanks and hugs to all of you!

-Becky

I think that's a wonderful idea. And if you decide in a couple months that you want to go through with the surgery, you can feel confident that made an effort and really need the surgery.
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Surgery is a decision to be made prudently. I am glad you are doing that. I was never leaning that way but this question has made up my mind. THANK you ALL for sharing your stories. There might be a skewed opinion here on a site that promotes logging food and exercise, we are here because we have made a decision to be concerned about those subjects, this is my opinion.
    I was 365 lbs last year and had to have a knee scope. The scope fixed a torn meniscus and showed my knee joint to be distorted. The surgeon said I would need full knee replacement sometime. He said I should look into a surgery, this was a turning point for me. Gastric Surgery was not one of my choices like many of the above stories I have heard there are problems you change for other problems. For me deep in my heart I knew that I needed to stop my life style and be more healthy. This week I weighed 319, I lost most when I was logging my food and seeing what I was eating. Dealing with food is my way of eating less. I am a firm believer that no one, and in this case no surgery, could make you do something. Something has to click, you have to choose for yourself. Some people have used the surgery or other procedure to help them come to deal with food but I think that the successful ones have had to deal with their food issues in the end surgery or not.
    You can take a horse to water…
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about investing that money into a trainer or even visiting a live in weight loss center? If you take the time and money you will spend on surgery and healing from surgery you could go to a weight loss center like the one Biggest Lose built. You will be fully immersed in healthy living. That might be just what you need to learn all the skills of weight loss. I know it is hard but surgery does not seem like the best option.
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have not had the surgery but I think (with some help from your MFP friends) YOU CAN DO IT without the surgery!!!!
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I vote to not do the surgery if you can avoid it. Not just because I'm a chicken *kitten*, but because we have a family friend that had bypass done 4 months ago. He is still in the hospital, has not had food in 4 months, and they can't close his stomach because there are so many complications with the surgery. It looks like he took a blast to the stomach with a shot gun. We have another friend who had the surgery years ago, he too had several complications that almost killed him. It took several surgeries to get him "fixed up". A guy that I work with also had it done a year ago, he too had complications. It really scares me now when I hear people talk about having gastric bypass.