Weight training at home - where to start?

Options
I am looking to add some weight training to my routine, which is primarily cardio right now. However, I do all my workouts from home, so I am looking for some ideas on basic equipment to get started with, or what will give me the best variety on workouts for a reasonable price. What do you use and why do you like it? Thanks!

Replies

• porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I'm only just a couple of weeks ahead of you.

I opted for
    Dumbbells - flexible not too heavy so good for 30 Day shred - great for getting you into the basics of strength.. well I think so as this is what I'm doing now. lol

next step for me is
    Kettlebells - highly rated for getting into stronger weights = less reps = better rewards.

Have a look at www.bodybuidling.com for vids on lifting

There are a LOT of strength training with just your body too if you google them, push ups, sit ups etc.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. All I use are dumbbells and my body weight. I have 5lb, 10lb, 15lb, and 20lb dumbbells. I don't use the 5lb ones anymore. Far too light for my workouts.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Good start, thank you. I have 3 and 5 lb weights for 30DS and other JM videos. I know that dumbbells and kettle bells are great for arms and upper body, but what about something to work core and lower body? I know I need to do more plank exercises but I am sure there is a lot more out there that I can do :-)
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I use this at home and only paid $150.00 for it on sale. I do most all the machine offers...

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_162175_-1?Ntt=marcy+home+gym&Ntk=All
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    You can also use bands. Good for bicep curls, tricep extensions, lat pull-downs, and anything else your imagination came come up with.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I will take a look at simple home systems like the one from academy.com and the bands. Thanks. I am sure I can find something in the closest city that will work. Thanks for the advice so far :-)