Struggling and Poor

Options
Hi everyone,

I have been doing pretty good with the big changes I have made to my eating lifestyle. i love the healthy foods and dont have much of a problem in that regard. The problem I am having is financial. I have cut all my bills as much I can and am still struggling to get by. I dont go out, I dont buy anything really. All my money goes to bills. This is really starting to cause me stress and I'm not sure what to do.

The only place I can see cutting more money out is in groceries. But i really dont want to go back to eating the cheap unhealthy crap I did before.

Can someone please teach me how to both eat healthy and very cheap?

I pretty much live off of salads, chicken and fruit and veggies. I have switched to frozen veggies. Feel free to take a look at my diary and offer ways I can make changes that will save me money.

Thank You

Replies

• keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Try Googling some cheap, healthy recipes. Even search the MFP database for recipes. I have seen some really cheap recipes on here.

Also praying that your financial situation gets better. :)
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    a few things I notice right away are:
    oatmeal - buy a larger bag of it and measure it out yourself when you cook it, rather than buying the individual packets
    carrots - buy plain big carrots and peel and chop them rather than pre-done baby carrots.
    organics - organic isn't necessary so if the standard salad is cheaper I'd go for that.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    Is there an Aldi near you? I was able to buy the following for about $21 there a few weeks back:

1.5 lbs of 97% lean ground beef
    Two fairly large boneless chicken breast
    Two bottles of reduced fat dressing
    Carton of eggs
    package of brussel sprouts
    package of fresh cherries
    bag of celery
    package of button mushrooms
    One cucumber
    Two large bags of pork rinds
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Hey man, I notice that you're buying a lot of brand names and organics. It probably won't hurt you to buy generics once in a while. They're not always quite as healthy as the brand names, but if money is that much of an issue then it might help.

Do you buy in bulk? I save a lot of cash by waiting for a sale and stocking up, or just by buying the biggest container (most stores have a per unit cost in small writing beneath the price so you can compare more accurately).

Farmers markets are always great places for affordable fruit and veg.

You can also purchase large slabs of meat from local farmers at surprisingly low cost. If you have access to a chest freezer you can literally get a whole cow.

Use coupons. I save anything from $10-$30 on a $100 grocery trip. That really adds up. Although there aren't often coupons for fruit and veg.

Financially, you can examine your expenditure and income and see where the problem lies. If it's too little income then you need to either find a better paid career or try to open up more streams of revenue. There's a lot of ways you can generate passive income streams (i.e. income that you don't really have to work for once you've set it up initially). I earn about $10 a month from Squidoo for example... by doing nothing at all. You can also earn dribs and drabs from online surveys, competitions, adspace etc. Just approach it carefully and do your research because there are a lot of scams out there.

If the problem is on the other end - too great expenditure - then you may need to hit the big things first. Move into a smaller place, buy a more affordable car etc. After that you can concentrate it down to the smaller things (usually subscriptions to entertainment like magazines or netflix have to go first).

Best advice I ever got for being better off was this: Pay yourself FIRST. Take 10-15% of your income and put it into a credit union every month without fail. Pay yourself even before you pay your landlord or mortgage. Consider it the most important check you write. It might mean struggling like hell for a while but in the end it really pays off. Once you've built up a decent safety net (3-6 months living expenses) then you can start putting your money to work for you - investing in bonds or low risk mutual funds will generate even more passive streams of income. It's not hard, it's only hard at the beginning.

Good luck man, hope something here helps!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses everyone.

In regards to Organic/ name brands items - I dont actually buy organic, i just use whats easiest to find in the database when logging

Does anyone have very cheap items that they eat regularily that they dont see in my diary. i am open to adding and changing what I eat, as long as it still fits my healthy eating lifestyle. (im thinking bulk beans and brown rice might be a good idea)

CGWatson - Thanks for the response, i reall appreciate it.

I have done amny of the things you have mentioned. I have cut all i can (no more gym, cable, etc)
    my car is paid for and is very fuel efficient.
    I cant move as i own my place and it is now worth less than i paid for it

I do pay myself first ($50-100 of each check goes into a savings account i dont touch) but theres not much there yet.
    I have slightly increased my income by taking all offerred overtime and will be getting a rais come march 5th (it will be modest but will help some)

Where do you get your coupons from? I have never used them really, school me in your ways.

I just feel like i cant get a step ahead, everytim ei feel im getting out of the hole some bill or something knocks me right back down. i suppose i'm using this thread to vent a bit, so forgive me.

Thanks again for all the help folks
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Ah the decreased home value boat. That sucks, I feel for you. My brother had the very same thing happen to him... bought a house to flip and ended up losing a bunch on it. There's not much you can do about that one except wait it out - should start picking up soon though... hopefully... and your value will return.

I get my coupons online and out of the weekend newspapers. I'm lucky enough to not have to buy the paper, someone usually leaves them lying around in the break room at work. Online there are literally hundreds of communities and sites based around couponing. You just print them out and take them to the store. There are even some apps now where you don't have to print anything - you can just have them scan a barcode right off your phone. I saved $50 on an oil change just a couple of weeks back with one of those.

Hmmm... cheap foods...

If you eat rice, indian stores often sell huge sacks of basmati or long grain that last FOREVER.

Homemade soups make great lunches, if you whip up a big enough batch at the weekend you can save quite a bit.

Little retail tip - when in the food store look up and down, not at eye level. Eye level is premium real estate... it's where the big manufacturers pay the most to have their overpriced products displayed. Look on the bottom and top shelves for lowest cost products.
  • sarahgilmore
    Options
    Soup is pretty cheap and nutritious. You can fil it up with pulses and wholegrains like barley, vegetables, and cheap meat. When I want to make soup I buy chicken carcasses that are pretty much being given away, or stuff like mutton neck chops, bacon bones or oxtail that are really cheap and just need the slow cooking. Lots of flavour in them, and if they're fatty I don't mind I just skim the fat off the top.

You can bulk lean ground meat out with grated vegetables and/or lentils & beans too which are cheap and nutritious.

I buy tinned fruit most of the time for my kids. tinned in juice is healthy, it doens't go bad, and IMO it's just as nutritious as fresh. We spend a LOT less money on fruit now than we ever did.

If you eat yoghurt you can make your own yoghurt too, that's really easy and about 10% of the cost of buying it.
  • rundgrenfan
    Options
    Dried beans are a true bargain! If you soak them in water the night before, they cook up relatively quickly. Then you can construct soups, dips, and spreads like crazy! Lentils and split peas work the same way and also make great meals.

It looks like you really do a good job of eating healthy food, I hope you are able to keep it up and have lots of success in the future.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What kind of cheap crap were you eating that was cheaper than whole foods? I've never found that to be true.

Brown rice, dried beans, canned tuna, frozen fruits and veggies, carrots, onions,celery and apples are almost always cheap. Other fruits and vegetables in season or on sale are affordable. Tilapia, catfish, haddock, pollock are usually affordable.

Clip coupons, search the internet for coupons.

If prices in your area are high, try shopping online. Amazon has a wide array of foods online and shipping is usualy free if you spend more then $25.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    A big container of quaker oatmeal is a lot of breakfasts. Lots of things you can add to it for more flavor.
  • ColCul
    ColCul Posts: 53
    Options
    Lentils are inexpensive and healthy. Buy fruit and vegetables in season or frozen when they are not. I am very frugal and my biggest help is to meal plan and grocery list in hand when grocery shopping. Watch flyers and freeze meat when it is on sale.

I know how you feel. I live in an area where fruits, veggies and dairy are very costly so I know that eating healthy is not always cost effective.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Dried beans, bulk grains, bulk oatmeal, frozen fruit, frozen veggies, etc.

Community gardens will let you get some fresh veggies if you put some time into them. Great way to get some fresh herbs and greens into your diet.

If you can afford it, cheap cuts of meat cooked in the crockpot... yummy.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    Spring is around the corner. If you plant a garden, you'll get tons of vegetables for the price of a seed packet (usually only a dollar or two for each seed packet). Very economical. You can then freeze vegetables or can things like tomatoes.

You could try dry beans instead of canned.

Brown rice is very cheap, and so are most bulk bin items at the health food store, such as lentils.

If you're buying oatmeal, buy the oats that you cook on the stove in bulk, rather than the more expensive, flavored instant oatmeal.

When things are on sale, stock up. When my favorite peanut butter goes half off, I buy 5 jars of it. Don't be afraid to buy extra of what won't spoil, like unopened almond milk.

Clip coupons or buy according to the store's weekly sales.

Anytime you cook from scratch, you save money. For example, instead of buying bouillon for soup, make your own chicken stock from bones from the chicken dinner the night before.

If fresh vegetables go on sale, you can easily freeze many things. For example, red bell peppers were on sale the other day so I bought several. I couldn't eat them before they went bad so I just froze them for later use.

Finally, if your finances are stressing you out too much, you may want to think about finding a better-paying job. The stress is not going to help you lose weight.
  • kbw414
    Options
    I forgot to add that if you have an extra bit of time, you could work for a CSA.

My CSA requires people to work for 4 hours a week in exchange for two grocery bags of produce (at least a $75 dollar value if you are buying organic at a store). If you have the time, it's a very good deal.
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Also, check every store flier to catch deals. Lots of places periodically do 2 day sales that let you purchase stuff really cheap. If possible, buy it in bulk and portion it out, freeze it if you need to. Also, you might look into local food co-ops. Not sure what your income is, but many places allow for you to put in for energy assistance.

If you really have to, pick up a second job, if only a few nights a week. I worked about 20 hours a week at a second job for 2 1/2 years to pull ahead a little. It sucks and you are exhausted, but you can do it.

Write down every tiny thing you buy, many times people don't even realize what they are spending on. If you have multiple credit cards and a lot of cc debt, look at consolidating and cutting them up. There are some really good choices out there for assisting you with that. Those minimum payments and interest fees are killer.

I agree with the other posters about looking for non-name brand stuff and switching to beans and rice type meals. My parents raised three kids on a single income for years and the household joke was "What do you want tonight? Potatoes, Gravy, and Beans, or Beans, Potatoes, and Gravy?" Simple staples can go a long way.

You'll pull through, just keep on working on it and you'll get there!
  • kbw414
    Options
    I buy tinned fruit most of the time for my kids. tinned in juice is healthy, it doens't go bad, and IMO it's just as nutritious as fresh.

If only this were true. The cans holding the canned vegetables and fruit usually contain BPA, which is a very toxic chemical made from oil. In some cases, saving a few cents really isn't worth it.
  • pam_williams
    pam_williams Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can get coupons from the Sunday paper and online. If it's a good coupon week, I usually buy additional papers - but only if the coupons are ones that I will use and are worth more than the cost of the paper.

You can also print coupons on-line. Do a search for free online coupons. There're several sites.

You also need to learn the coupon policies of your favorite stores. Some will double or triple the face value of the coupon up to a certain dollar amount. Others will only accept a certain number of coupons or dollar amount. Some even accept their competitors coupons.

Coupons are free money. Look at it as a way to increase your income stream.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Coupon!!! Its fun and saves you a TON I very rearly pay full price for anything anymore, there are lots of coupns for healthy foods. there are some great sites that teach you how. check out: http://thekrazycouponlady.com/

feel free to add me or messaging me if you have any questions!
  • morthon
    Options
    organic isnt necessary? I understand that if you are struggling then organic is sometimes more expensive but you cant really say its not necessary .... I wish we could afford organic all the time because organic really is necessary in the world we now living in :)
  • sarahgilmore
    Options
    I buy tinned fruit most of the time for my kids. tinned in juice is healthy, it doens't go bad, and IMO it's just as nutritious as fresh.

If only this were true. The cans holding the canned vegetables and fruit usually contain BPA, which is a very toxic chemical made from oil. In some cases, saving a few cents really isn't worth it.

oh lol

each to their own, I suppose.