Winter blues and motivation

Options
Ever since I was a teenager, I get a little depressed during the winter. I'm usually a very upbeat, positive person but during the winter months I have no energy, I get irritable, and I want to not care what I'm eating. I feel like I'm in a fog and I am having a tough time not just sitting on my couch and watching reruns of Sherlock Holmes on Netflix.

Needless to say, this makes losing weight and being motivated to exercise very difficult.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what helps you break through the fog?

Any suggestions would be great. Also, please feel free to add me as a friend if you can. I've decided that I need all the support I can get.. :smile:

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I do somewhat, but as bad as it sounds like you do. For me its the short days, I need more sunshine. I work in an office with therapist and one of them gives out full spectra light bulbs that are supposed to mimic sunlight. IDK how they work or where to get them. (Amazon has everything though :) Otherwise its more push myself to get fresh air and keep moving.
  • mrsjads
    Options
    I do feel the same but I think its the days I am not at work and I have to look after the kids alone from getting up to going to bed and we can't go out cause its raining, or icey! Or we go for a walk but end up back at home grumpier than ever cause we are all freezing and wet!
    Bleah!
  • mwest11
    mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Diddo... I think it is the short days. I am not an early riser and I don't get off work until 6:30pm when it is already dark during winter months. It really bums me out because I would rather get outside and do something in the evening. I am ready for spring!!
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yep...it is that time of the year. I have major spring fever!
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Diddo... I think it is the short days. I am not an early riser and I don't get off work until 6:30pm when it is already dark during winter months. It really bums me out because I would rather get outside and do something in the evening. I am ready for spring!!

Yeah, the fact that I'm not a morning person seems to prevent me from taking advantage of some of the super early classes that my gym offers. And I don't want to make believe that I'm actually going to magically become a morning person and set my alarm for 4:30 am and go to the gym. If I do that, I'm just setting myself up to fail. I think I'm going to start using my lunch hours for gym sessions. We'll see how that works!
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! Good ole SAD (best acronym ever btw)! I suffer from it as well and it just makes me feel awful. I'm already on antidepressants and even they don't help this time of year. I was just thinking this morning how I'm trying so hard to stay optimistic and to be thankful of my progress and to keep up the good work~but then I just want to go home and cry. There are a few things I'm going to start doing to help and maybe these can help you as well.

1) Get as much sun or light as possible. I noticed big time that my SAD wasn't as bad while living in Florida but now that I'm in New Jersey again, the lack of winter sun is so evident. Try opening all the blinds, sit closer to windows or even take little walks outside just to get some fresh air and sun. Or sit by a lamp that has a nice bright light~it's uplifting. If you get it very bad, you can even purchase a light box to help.
    2) Exercise. I prefer to go for walks or just be outside. I know it's a bit cold this time of year but it's been an unusually warm winter and it's time I start taking advantage of that!
    3) Start taking my vitamins again~including my Omega-3's etc. I will start taking my vitamin D again as well since I have heard that it may help. I've been slacking majorly with that and I have no excuse why.

These are just a few little things that I'm going to start doing (again lol). Does anyone else have anything they do that helps? :)