New member on her first ever diet

Options
Hi :)

I am 22 years old and on my first ever "serious" diet... I have let me weight creep up over the years and think I need to lose about 5 stone (32kg) I think to get back to a weight that I would be happy with. So far I have lost 1st 5lbs but its starting to slow down now so I think now is the time when I really need to stay focussed and keep motivated. I work in an office as well so my job doesnt really help with the exercise, though I try to do about 45 mins per weekday plus Zumba twice a week.

Any encouragement etc would be greatly appreciated! :)

Emma

Replies

• hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting started...good luck with your journey. I hope you are already feeling healthier.
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • abdmps
    abdmps Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Having a sedentary job stinks. I have one too! I type all day. But... we can do this! Good luck!
  • pineapple1989
    Options
    Me and my friend at work walk up and down the office stairs (4 floor buiding) 5 times at lunchtime just to get a bit of exercise. Works well but I think everybody thinks we are crazy! Would recommend it though!
  • enginerd81
    Options
    Wow - you used 3 different units for weight :) lbs kgs and stones

My wife and I are having a slow time of it 7 lbs each in a month ( we only had 20 or so to lose so that might have something to do with it), it can be frustrating putting in a lot of effort and not seeing quick results. It might be easier to see results with a tape measure. My belt is already one notch in, although I don't see a big difference visually.

Make sure you have a good reason for doing this and remember it when you get discouraged.

Good luck!
  • DuckDuckDuck
    DuckDuckDuck Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just dont do anything drastic. You will mess up your matablisam and it will never be the same again :/
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Just dont do anything drastic. You will mess up your matablisam and it will never be the same again :/

How would that happen??
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

Find yourself some supportive, active friends. Get ready to be a loser. I never had to " diet " until after my children were born. Suddenly I wasn't 140, I was 170... then I hurt my ankle and i was HOLY CRAP over 200.

Now I'm on my way down and it feels so good.
  • manasunshine
    Options
    all the best .. and you know i never watched what i ate or bothered about the calories until i joined MFP just recently. so this is my first serious diet plan too!! best of luck!!!:smile:
  • stringqueen16
    Options
    The most important thing I'd say is to just make sure that you're realizing the little victories and successes you achieve rather than just seeing this big goal at the end of the tunnel, because each single thing you do to better your health is a victory and every pound off is a success, and that's ultimately what matters. Losing a little bit at a time can be frustrating, but know that whether it's one pound, or 100 pounds, it's a loss and that's a great thing!

Also, I got this great idea from pinterest...put 2 glass vases somewhere you pass every day in your home. In the left one, mark it "pounds to go" and in the right one mark it "pounds lost"...put a stone or a coin or a button or something like that for each pound you want to lose into the pounds to go vase, and transfer them to the other vase as you lose weight. It's a great visual, and sometimes gives you the kick you need to be proud of yourself.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Try to think of your weight loss challenge as a new lifestyle rather than a 'diet'.
    All you need to do is eat less and move more!

Good luck! You'll do great!
  • pineapple1989
    Options
    The most important thing I'd say is to just make sure that you're realizing the little victories and successes you achieve rather than just seeing this big goal at the end of the tunnel, because each single thing you do to better your health is a victory and every pound off is a success, and that's ultimately what matters. Losing a little bit at a time can be frustrating, but know that whether it's one pound, or 100 pounds, it's a loss and that's a great thing!

Also, I got this great idea from pinterest...put 2 glass vases somewhere you pass every day in your home. In the left one, mark it "pounds to go" and in the right one mark it "pounds lost"...put a stone or a coin or a button or something like that for each pound you want to lose into the pounds to go vase, and transfer them to the other vase as you lose weight. It's a great visual, and sometimes gives you the kick you need to be proud of yourself.

Wow that vase thing sounds like a really good idea! I'm definetely going to do that, gives me a good excuse to buy vases and beads as well! :) Thanks
  • pineapple1989
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

Find yourself some supportive, active friends. Get ready to be a loser. I never had to " diet " until after my children were born. Suddenly I wasn't 140, I was 170... then I hurt my ankle and i was HOLY CRAP over 200.

Now I'm on my way down and it feels so good.

Aww well done :) I find MFP to be more effective than Weightwatchers/Slimming World etc and the app is really handy as well, and everybody seems so nice and supportive!
  • thatlook
    thatlook Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Try to think of your weight loss challenge as a new lifestyle rather than a 'diet'.
    All you need to do is eat less and move more!

Good luck! You'll do great!

great advice to anyone new to this site, it has helped me to totally transform the way i see what im doing about losing the weight ive always wanted to....its not my diet, its how i intend on living the rest of my life, THE HEALTHY WAY!!
    and i might have to try the vase thing although they would have to be pretty big vases right now!! maybe when my losses really start to slow down i will give that a try!! :D

11795304.png
  • stringqueen16
    Options

Wow that vase thing sounds like a really good idea! I'm definetely going to do that, gives me a good excuse to buy vases and beads as well! :) Thanks

It really helps! I also made up a rewards chart...just kind of a list of things I'll treat myself to every 5 pounds lost, like a new haircut or a pedicure, or for the bigger goals like 50 and 75 pounds, something a little bigger like a trip to the beach or a photo shoot to show how much weight is gone.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    you can do this!!! feel free to add me
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This is also my first real diet! I am nervous and hope to see results.
  • pineapple1989
    Options
    It really helps! I also made up a rewards chart...just kind of a list of things I'll treat myself to every 5 pounds lost, like a new haircut or a pedicure, or for the bigger goals like 50 and 75 pounds, something a little bigger like a trip to the beach or a photo shoot to show how much weight is gone.

I have said to myself that I will get my navel re-pierced when I've lost 3 stone (almost halfway there!) and will get my long awaited tattoo when I get to the illusive 5 stone which is helping :)
  • debra102011
    Options
    Welcome, I am new to dieting and the community.

My Motto is:

slow and steady wins the race every time :).