Question about exercise cals...

Options
so this is a slightly unusual one..

helloitsdan has crunched my numbers and ive upped my cals... im now netting about 1700-1800 a day...

however, im set as sedentary as i have a strange job, sometimes i may walk alot in the day and be quite active, others i am sat on my butt all day at a desk.

so i use a fitbit every day, and its linked to MFP, i enter my food and activity in MFP, and fitbit pulls that through, but MFP also pulls through extra exercise cals as a fitbit adjustment if i am active above my sedentary setting.

i eat back about 50-70% of my entered activity cals but what should i do with the ones fitbit adjusts?

Replies

• paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • lungry1980
    Options
    Sorry I cant help you. I know nothing about that stuff.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    bump again!
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    id like to know this as well! considering buying a fitbit!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Are they negligible? I think I would just ignore the adjustment. But I don't own a FitBit, so I'm not entirely sure.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    bump for more info...
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    How much of an adjustment are we talking here?
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Look at them as exercise calories and treat them as you are treating your other exercise calories.

The adjustment is the difference between the "sedentary" setting you have in MFP, and the actual calories burned with movement (at least as the fitbit calculates them).

For example, I don't log my walking as an individual activity, I let the fitbit make the adjustment. HOWEVER< fitbit does NOT work for other activities such as a stair mill, or elliptical, so you would have to enter those activities. When you enter the actual time at which you completed those other activities, the fitbit cancels it's measurements for those time periods and utilizes the database burn.
  • jpapale
    Options
    I don't have a fitbit, but I have something similar that I got through my gym. Since it doesn't accurately count the calories from the elliptical I have to do a little math. Before getting on the elliptical I look to see what my monitor says for calories, then I look when I get off and I do NOT enter these calories in my total. I use what the machine says I burned.

For example yesterday when I got on the elliptical my monitor say I had already burned 300 from other daily stuff. When I got off it showed 600. A difference of 300, but the elliptical showed my calories burned at 417. So in my diary I input the 417 from the elliptical and only the 300 that was on my monitor BEFORE my workout. That way I'm not counting those 300 calories twice :) I just created a cardio exercise (generic - to be used with monitor) to record the "daily activities" calories.

It seems to be working for me. Hope this helps, but since fitbit is connected directly with MFP, I'm not sure how this will work for you. I don't know anything about the fitbit.

Good Luck.
  • slwunder
    Options
    I don't log any exercises on MFP. I just let the fitbit adjustment happen. No matter what kind of exercise I do, I always get an adjustment, even if it's just cleaning the house.

I think some people tend to make the fitbit more complicated than it needs to be. I know it doesn't pick up weightlifting, biking and the elliptical very well, but I don't do those machines or straight forward weight lifting, but I do use weights with the Nike Training Club and Kettlebell workouts.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as you're moving, the fitbit picks it up. I have not done any workouts yet today, and it's already starting to send over activity just from my moving in general.

Hope this makes sense and helps!